Taking Inventory

edward

I keep an inventory on the items I sell. I use Excel for this, it tracks the quantity, price and number of sales for each item. Still working some of the bugs out of it. It is a lot of work but really pays off in the long run. I also have an updated list of my shop equipment and expendables . The expendables are in a notebook hand written as they change constantly and when the pages get too messed up, just start a fresh one. 

I did a photo inventory of all my tools in the shop a while ago. I have had some of the tools for over 20 years and understandably the receipts are long gone but I have a running record of things I have bought on line or in the box stores or Wood craft. I keep all the pictures on a disk and filed away. The expendables are expendable so they are either used up or outdated and thrown away. I don't really sell my items so what's finished is either in the house or with friends or relatives. 

5 hours ago, munzieb said:

I did a photo inventory of all my tools in the shop a while ago. I have had some of the tools for over 20 years and understandably the receipts are long gone but I have a running record of things I have bought on line or in the box stores or Wood craft. I keep all the pictures on a disk and filed away. The expendables are expendable so they are either used up or outdated and thrown away. I don't really sell my items so what's finished is either in the house or with friends or relatives. 

I just started adding a 'photo journal' to go with the Excel file. I don't keep a sale journal (I don't sell enough to warrant the effort to set one up and keep it up to date.

Edward, if you are serious about keeping an inventory, I have found QuickBooks for business the best and easiest way to do so.

I used it for over 20 years in my husbands business. When he retired, I use it to keep track of my business items.  You give each item a name or number, enter it into a category, give them a price, and check that you want to keep track of your inventory.  It will do that automatically, both with sales items, equipment, supplies and any other thing you can think of.   The beginning entry is the most tedious, but once done,it is a cinch.  You can  check QuickBooks out on YouTube to see if you want to try it.  The program can be costly.

Now that I am retired, I keep it super simple. I take a photo of each style (or item), put it in a catalog style listing with a number and just keep track of  "on hand" and "sold" items. Of course it does show the price too if there is one.  80% my items now are not sold, but donated to my local Toys for Tots Foundation. I only  keep track of what I cut for friends or family so I do not duplicate a gift.  

Edited by Dee

Well... on a more serious note since my last post was more of a joke.. 

Since I don't really do any live events... and primarily sell online.. My inventory is somewhat just my web site.. and from there I can download / print off my inventory list in a csv file.. which I do quite regularly... also sales are recorded not only on the website.. but I also run quickbooks for keeping track of sales and expenses etc.. I have quickbooks set up to automatically record sales from the websites.. which saves me a lot of time... However, I don't quite trust it so I do check it almost every sale and always check it monthly when I print/ file my monthly.. I can go back and compare all kinds of info by day, week, month, year, etc etc.. it's all recorded in not only quickbooks but also from the websites. The website also will show a total of how much inventory value you have.. 

Now... That said.. I found out it only keeps track of the listings I have on the site.. I'm about 150 listings behind.. ie I have about 150 items that need to be put up on the site..