Am I the only one to feel like Darth Vadar ?

Foxfold

I managed to get a fair bit of scrolling done today as it's raining cats and dogs outside and the only other option was ironing. However, I had to stop a fair few times to unsteam my glasses and rest.  What with ear defenders, mask for dust and spectacles so I can see what I'm doing I sometimes feel like a veteran Darth Vadar.  Am I the only one to wear all this stuff ? If so how does it affect you when you work ?   The ear defenders hurt my head sometimes and  the mask seems to steam up my glasses which makes for a less than 'restful' time at my saw.

Actually I don't mind the ear protectors so much.  I don't think the noise from the saw and dust collector setup  are going to hurt what hearing I have left, but wearing them cuts out background noise,,,,, wife,,,,, ah,,, makes it real quiet and I can focus more one the scrolling.... help me get in the "zone".   I don't wear a mask either.  I have good dust collection, and with a beard the masks probably would do much good anyway.  You can get something like the Resp-O-Rator.   They are excellent for dust and you will not fog your glasses.  It has a mouth piece like a snorkle.  The little one pictured would work fine for scroll saw.  There is a bigger one with two filter that I use for when sanding with hand sander and such.  I actually have both models. 

index.jpg

Not sure I should say this but I have an old Racal Airlite respirator, (no longer made), a Sundstrom half face mask and loads of disposable masks. Do I wear them? mostly no by the time I've thought about putting one on I've done the cutting it's only if I've a big job to do that I even think about putting one on. I also have a vacuum I can connect to the saw to collect the dust, do I switch it on? Again no. I also have ear protectors again they're left hanging up when scrollsawing.

Brenda, if your glasses steam up with masks then the best solution is an air fed visor like the Airlite, there are several cheaper brands of this type of mask, or try something like the Sundstrom, it doesn't steam up my glasses like disposable ones do (when I wear it). You could also try  ear plugs instead of muffs. 

racal.jpg

sundstom.png

Edited by loftyhermes