Learn something every day

jerry1939

Just when I thought my brain was full, along comes something else.  I buy 12" X 24" plywood from Sloan's.  http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/ 

Enlarged a pattern before the wood arrived.  The ply is 11 3/4" X 23 15/16.  Silly me, I always thought plywood was the only wood you buy that is full size.

jerry

13 hours ago, jerry1939 said:

Just when I thought my brain was full, along comes something else.  I buy 12" X 24" plywood from Sloan's.  http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/ 

Enlarged a pattern before the wood arrived.  The ply is 11 3/4" X 23 15/16.  Silly me, I always thought plywood was the only wood you buy that is full size.

jerry

They've been undersizing wood for years. Take a caliper to the home center sometime and check all the plywoods. They never measure out to what they are supposed to be. We have been getting screwed on most everything for a long time.

I just realized that you were referring to the overall dimensions and not the thickness. My bad. It is strange though that they would cut it smaller than advertised. It must come down to the loss of wood because of the kerf of the saw blade. Hmmmmmm.

Edited by octoolguy

The following is from Solan's web site description of their plywood:

All sizes widths & lengths shown are (+/- 1/8") to allow for the blade width while cutting

As this is an import plywood it is manufactured & sold using the metric system. The US measuring system of inches shown in the thickness below is very close but not Exact, but within a few thousands of an inch.

Larry

I think that is just the nature of how plywood works.. I buy it in the 60" x 60" sheets and cut it to size as needed... even though I use the measure once cut twice rule.. or is that measure twice cut once... anyway somehow it still comes up short... just like my wallet 😂😂

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I think that is just the nature of how plywood works.. I buy it in the 60" x 60" sheets and cut it to size as needed... even though I use the measure once cut twice rule.. or is that measure twice cut once... anyway somehow it still comes up short... just like my wallet 😂😂

I've had the problem most all of my life. Measure twice? Surely you jest. I've got it wired. Hey, why is this board too short? DUH!

'

32 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

Another reason to buy full 5'x5' sheets of Baltic Birch and break them down yourself as you need it.  It may take some work to find it locally but it really is out there.

Also if you are doing a special project and grain is important, you have better chance getting what you want out of a 5' x 5' piece...

And you can buy a "wood welder"  You get them through Woodrite.  Seriously search wood welder and check it out.  Coarse they do not weld wood,,,,

Hey Jerry I buy my BB at Sloans too.  Very rarely will the wood be what its stated to be.  EXAMPLE 12 X 24"  Always shy up to a 1/16" both ways.

I just have learned to deal with it.  Not a Big thing to me.                       Anyway...................................Danny  :+}