Burma Shave

zimmerstutzen

Not totally a scroll project, but some here are likely to know.  I want to cut letters and make a set of red and white lettered signs like the old roadside  burma shave signs.  (for those who don't remember, there would be a series of 4 or 5 signs with a humorous poem followed by the sign "Burma Shave"    For instance, "Don't pass on"  " a curve or hill,"   " if the cops don't get you"  " the mortician will" followed by a sign that said "Burma Shave")    Any body recall the sign dimensions or font?   IIRC the signs were about 6 inches high and two feet to thirty inches wide.  I want to make a scroll saw set that at least resembles the originals.  I can look up the signs on line, but there is no scale to judge the size.   Thanks

17 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I remember those so well as a kid riding down the highway with my family. I would love to cut the logo. I captured with jing but can't enlarge as it is not a jpg. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I don't sell anything. I just think it is so cool to hang up in the shop.

Les, do you have Irfanview? If not, download it. It's free and there is an image resizer built into it.

Hi Ray. Thanks, but you recommended jing to me sometime ago. I googled Burma Shave. It took me to a Smithsonian site which had a collection of signs one of which I captured with jing and printed it. The image is 3.5" X 8.25". I'll take it Office Max tomorrow and have them enlarge it 150% which will make it about 5.5" X 12". I'm excited to cut it. Only because it brings back memories.

4 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Hi Ray. Thanks, but you recommended jing to me sometime ago. I googled Burma Shave. It took me to a Smithsonian site which had a collection of signs one of which I captured with jing and printed it. The image is 3.5" X 8.25". I'll take it Office Max tomorrow and have them enlarge it 150% which will make it about 5.5" X 12". I'm excited to cut it. Only because it brings back memories.

If you capture the pic in jing than open that file in Irfanview, you can do anythng you might want to do.

16 hours ago, lawson56 said:

Love it! I remember those signs as a kid. Love to see a pattern.Ummm. Never was good a letter patterns.Might give this a go.🤔Well I gave it a go.Is this kinda a what your looking for? I know it's a little rough.word patterns aren't my forte.Sorry.☹️

Burma Shave pattern.jpg

Wow! you did excellent. I did download an actual sign off the internet. It copied excellent. Thank you so much for the effort. You did very well.

19 hours ago, Chiloquinruss said:

I made a set for our live steam railroad club (Burma Shave signs are part of roadside and railroad history).  Of course I used some 'artistic' license! 😁 Russ

burma shave.JPG

Russ, I have a very close friend who is involved in live steam up in Junction City. He helped restore the train over in Sumpter. Do you know anybody over that way?

2018-09-20_1103.png

Edited by octoolguy

The font I used was Script MT Bold.  It has the look if not the exact font.  Burma Shave signs have a long history and makes for good reading, just Google Burma Shave.  I probably know someone from over there but unless they wear a club jacket or similar identifier I may just know them as a fellow hobbyist.  Russ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma-Shave

https://www.wfonts.com/font/script-mt-bold