I think you are all awesome.

Foxfold

I really do genuinely think you are all awesome. I tried cutting a more (for me) intricate pattern today, and boy, oh boy, the concentration, the undoing the blade and putting once again through those teeny tiny holes, the amount of times I have to adjust my magnifying glasses so that I can focus.

For all you who do this over and over again, I take my hat off to you all.  I have only done 5 letters in 2 sessions and I'm shattered.

AnniversaryCut.jpg

I sometimes know the feeling.. while other times I find it very relaxing to just putz along and plug away at it... I don't do too many of the real large portraits.. because I get anxious to get projects completed.. I'm not real good at working on the same thing all week long.. which is why I like making the clocks ad ornaments.. most are easily done in a hour or so.. while some of the more detailed ones might take a couple hours.. Ornaments I can cut a few per hour.. Every now and then though I just have to make one of those WOW big picture portraits with several hundred cutouts.. just for the challenge... Don't think I could do those on a daily / weekly thing all the time.. though.. 

The fun for me is the challenge of learning new techniques. Right now, I'm learning to do compound cutting. I have a plan for a votive holder/candy bowl type thing that requires cutting 8 side pieces that are compound cuts. I practiced in some very hard scrap wood and now, I finally cut out the pieces today to get started on it. The compound pieces are red cedar and the other parts are walnut and red cedar. Should be fun. But, my point, and there really is one, as I was practicing the other day, I realized how intense I was and my jaws were very tight. I had to physically sit back, stretch my neck and shoulders and I rubbed my cheeks and jaw muscles. I had no idea how tied up I was and I was really concentrating on my cutting. This hobby is about way more than just cutting stuff out. It's an art form and I want to be as good at as you folks all are. There, I made my point.

Edited by octoolguy

10 hours ago, octoolguy said:

The fun for me is the challenge of learning new techniques. Right now, I'm learning to do compound cutting. I have a plan for a votive holder/candy bowl type thing that requires cutting 8 side pieces that are compound cuts. I practiced in some very hard scrap wood and now, I finally cut out the pieces today to get started on it. The compound pieces are red cedar and the other parts are walnut and red cedar. Should be fun. But, my point, and there really is one, as I was practicing the other day, I realized how intense I was and my jaws were very tight. I had to physically sit back, stretch my neck and shoulders and I rubbed my cheeks and jaw muscles. I had no idea how tied up I was and I was really concentrating on my cutting. This hobby is about way more than just cutting stuff out. It's an art form and I want to be as good at as you folks all are. There, I made my point.

And all this time I've been striving to be as good as you.. Maybe we all just need to relax a bit and cut things..who cares if we run off the line a little.. that's what make the piece our own custom design..😂.. sometimes we have a bon fire with ornamental fire wood.. at the end of the day.. and roast marshmallows.. so no matter what.. the day ends with a good time.. 

make no mistake foxfold- we were all greenhorns at this at one time. very few jump on a scrollsaw and "get it." myself, i had many times i had to walk away from the scrollsaw and that can still happen. theres still times i end up just makin big pieces of wood smaller and they end up in the firepit, but it doesnt happen as often as 13 years ago. i made some seriously fancy kindling back then. :)

even after 13 years and hundreds of hours on the scrollsaw, im still just practicing.

Edited by tomsteve

3 hours ago, tomsteve said:

make no mistake foxfold- we were all greenhorns at this at one time. very few jump on a scrollsaw and "get it." myself, i had many times i had to walk away from the scrollsaw and that can still happen. theres still times i end up just makin big pieces of wood smaller and they end up in the firepit, but it doesnt happen as often as 13 years ago. i made some seriously fancy kindling back then. :)

even after 13 years and hundreds of hours on the scrollsaw, im still just practicing.

And if you think about it, so do lawyers and doctors. Just practicing.

16 hours ago, dgman said:

I love cutting intricate fretwork. With some good tunes on my Bluetooth headset, I get into the “zone” and just cut along. 

Not sure I could cope with music, I like to be able to 'hear' the saw, but there again I don't have music whilst I'm driving as I like to hear the engine. Perhaps I'm just a  neurotic old biddy. 🙂 

No you are not!  I'm the same,  music for a little while is okay, but it wears me out to have it going very long.  And I am not an "old biddy".... I may be a grouchy old man..... but I am what I am.  No apologies....  I don't have the radio going when I am traveling either,,,, my wife's snoring is enough extra noise!!🙄