Live Edge

Rockytime

Rather than hijack another thread I thought I wad start another. I have never cut live edge anything so I know nothing about it. Where do you buy it? How does one keep the bark from falling off? Are some woods better for keeping their bark attached? I'd like to try some. The finished pieces posted here are beautiful

Hello Les.

Also only on my first piece of live edge. My current piece of basswood is one inch thick and I'm sure the bark grew on this piece because it does not appear to have been stuck back on. I have about 50 slices of a branch where I cut the branch into very thin slices and have pencilled them in for Xmas tree hangers, but what I have noticed is the wood is shrinking as it dries out meaning the full circle of bark on each slice is separating from the wood in spots. I'm hoping the much thicker basswood wont have the same problem.

Bob

The live edge stuff I have is from the sawmill next door.. and my brothers sawmill from up the road.. They was green when I was given the pieces about 5 years ago.. I've had these stickered up in the loft all this time.. Many of these have shrunk and the bark has peeled off and or.. many of them split too.. I'll be able to use them for some projects anyway.. and I actually saved them from being turned into wood chips..  I have some BIG 4-5 inch thick pieces that I have no idea what I'll do with them.. some are 20+ inch wide.. hate to cut them down to fit through my little 13" planer.. 

9 minutes ago, crupiea said:

Too bad they dont just sell bark that we could just glue on.

My brother owns a sawill business.. and yes he does sell the bark.. LOL...  there is no such thing as scrap in the mill business.. he sells the shredded bark.. slabwood for fire wood.. and anything that doesn't make slab wood sawdust or lumber gets run through the chipper and he sell the wood chips.. though last I talked to him sawdust was paying more than woodchips so he was grinding it into sawdust. 

7 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Ok, I've gotta ask,.....what is a "live edge"?

Ray live edge is just a natural edge of the wood.. ( ie saw the log into lumber without cutting the edges off.. so the outer part of the tree with the bark is still on the lumber ) well actually the bark doesn't have to be attached to be live edge.. but just have the natural slab.. rather than the lumber being squared up into a dimensional board.. 

This piece I cut out a few days ago is on a live edge slab.. notice the edges are natural tree's edge rather than a squared off 1 x 12 or whatever size 

I think most of what the hobby stores carry are smaller pieces.. and rather than cutting the length of the log they are cut through the log as in like firewood is cut.. except in small 1" slices, LOL still live edge though.. just different cuts... sort of like sirloin or porterhouse Hahaha..

E51334F6-0A1A-4542-AC7B-1EC544C3E6D1.jpeg.3e8f77cef15601bfe35a253c3e6a752e.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I gotta ask, why do you refer to it as "live edge"?  It is dead!🤔:confused:  I call it natural edge or bark edge.  When I use a piece I will but CA glue along the bark on the back edge and CA any loose pieces on.  When you put finish on after cutting a picture, the CA will not show.

Have no idea why I refer it as live edge.. guess it's how it was refereed too as I was introduced to it.. Maybe I should call it Dead edge.. 😂.. If you google live edge wood.. it brings up what you call natural edge.. but then... so does natural edge, LOL