Pegas Scroll Saw

rdv464

Just got a look at the 21" Pegas scroll saw that is to be available here in the states after the first of the year. Grobet USA had a display at the "Artistry in Wood" show here in Wilmington, Oh.this weekend. I hope that some of you that live fairly close were able to attend, this is a class show with some of the finest woodworking projects you'll ever see!! Back to the saw, the saw was just super quiet, 0 vibration and just a great looking machine.

rdv

Here is the only info I can find about the Pegas saws, a European site.  Anyone else know of any other information available about it?  I think I'm starting to hear the tell tale signs of wearing out another DeWalt... right on time, it's been 13 months.  LOL

https://www.cremonatools.com/pegas-scroll-saws.html

If you look closely, you see that it is the same saw as the Excalibur 21", with the addition of the safety switch at the rear of the device. What's puzzling, is that all the ads show the saw with the original OEM blade clamps instead of the new Pegas clamps.

BTW - the EX-21 is an excellent saw. At least mine is, but I bought it before the Excalibur redistribution.

19 minutes ago, tgiro said:

If you look closely, you see that it is the same saw as the Excalibur 21", with the addition of the safety switch at the rear of the device. What's puzzling, is that all the ads show the saw with the original OEM blade clamps instead of the new Pegas clamps.

BTW - the EX-21 is an excellent saw. At least mine is, but I bought it before the Excalibur redistribution.

I wondered about that, it looked like the EX-21 to me as well and the pricing is about the same as well.  I guess I'll stick to my DeWalt's,.

4 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

I wondered about that, it looked like the EX-21 to me as well and the pricing is about the same as well.  I guess I'll stick to my DeWalt's,.

Iggy, if you ever get the chance to pick up an EX, do it. I have both Dewalt and now the EX 21 and mine is made before they went overseas. I can't say enough good about this saw. And since I added the Pegas clamps, well, it just got even better. If the Pegas saw is made as well as my saw, it is going to be a winner.

5 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Iggy, if you ever get the chance to pick up an EX, do it. I have both Dewalt and now the EX 21 and mine is made before they went overseas. I can't say enough good about this saw. And since I added the Pegas clamps, well, it just got even better. If the Pegas saw is made as well as my saw, it is going to be a winner.

Thanks Ray.  Here's my "concern"... I have no way of knowing if the EX will last longer for me than a DeWalt since I'm so hard on my saws.  The EX costs double what a DW costs... so I'd need it to last at least 2 years.  If it lasts 2 years or less, I'm no better off and I'm very comfortable with the DW and simply accept the fact that I have to buy a new one every 12-15 months.

Here is some more info on the Pegas scroll saw, this is from a flyer that GrobetUSA was handing out at the wood show. Head tilts left and right 45/35, upper arm can be raised. Speed 400 to 1500 rpm, blower and dust collector, uses the new chuck heads, off on switch up front with speed control. Developed in Switzerland and made in Taiwan. What really got my attention was the pricing, saw only 649.00

saw with stand 719.00

saw + stand + foot peddle 739.00

And if I were to take a wild guess I'd bet Woodcraft will be a retailer here in the states, that's just a guess only because their a Pegas blade distributor. That's about all I know about it. 

rdv

On 10/15/2018 at 2:31 PM, Iguanadon said:

Thanks Ray.  Here's my "concern"... I have no way of knowing if the EX will last longer for me than a DeWalt since I'm so hard on my saws.  The EX costs double what a DW costs... so I'd need it to last at least 2 years.  If it lasts 2 years or less, I'm no better off and I'm very comfortable with the DW and simply accept the fact that I have to buy a new one every 12-15 months.

Those DeWalts are very hard to beat for the money... and they seem to hold their value.. a lot of 20 year old type 1 saws out there still bringing $250 -300.. ( what you suppose they cost back then? I paid $350 for mine during the Grizzly holiday sale in 2008 ) You pay $1200- 1500 for a Hawk and are lucky to get $700-800 for a fairly new one.. lots of 20+ year old ones for $250 and up.. That point right there was why I chose to buy my DeWalt 12 years ago..  I don't personally see a lot of real value for the Ex vrs. a DeWalt other than two things.. and you'd need to do a lot of bevel cutting to make that tilting head worth while.. the other nice feature is the ability to adjust the forward / back movement of the blade.. but... I found that I set mine up to cut just slightly less aggressive than the DeWalt.. It is easier to do tight turns with the set up slightly less aggressive.. but in my book... that feature alone isn't worth the added cost over the DeWalt..  In My Opinion..  from someone with both saws... I'm pretty much thinking the build design will give you about the same durability of the DeWalt also.. They possibly could use a better quality bearing.. but they are all the same size and type of un-sealed bearing.. so take that into consideration.

I have no experience with the Delta saw that seems to be a lot like the DeWalt.. since you go through saws quick.. I'd almost give one of those a try.. they are a lower priced saw with a 5 year warranty.. Then again.. if you order every year.. Grizzly runs a sale on those every year for the holidays.. Think it usually starts around Oct.. and typically runs to the new year.. Just buy every year during the sale.. LOL