1" peace sign in Ipa

amazingkevin

I was given a lot of thick free epay today. I was told it's very dense and hard and heavy. I asked if it can float for being as heavy as it is. My cutting is off, the wrong blade I think. 1496169838_l009.thumb.jpg.1d863f20a1343f0037eb4c1ea58f4e38.jpgFirst time trying Epay. The wood makes you slow down.

Edited by amazingkevin

27 minutes ago, trackman said:

Never heard of epay wood. But way back in school I had a teacher tell me “he could build a world around what I didn’t know & put what I did know in a thimble.” LOL

It's actually Ipe.  It comes from Central & South America.  It's being used a lot for decking as it's extremely durable and rot resistant.  It's also extremely dense and hard.  Ipe measures about 3600 on the Janka scale, compared to 1450 for hard Maple.

Here ya

13 hours ago, trackman said:

Never heard of epay wood. But way back in school I had a teacher tell me “he could build a world around what I didn’t know & put what I did know in a thimble.” LOL

here ya go! Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) | The Hardwood Store https://www.hardwoodstore.com/ipe-brazilian-walnut

12 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

It's actually Ipe.  It comes from Central & South America.  It's being used a lot for decking as it's extremely durable and rot resistant.  It's also extremely dense and hard.  Ipe measures about 3600 on the Janka scale, compared to 1450 for hard Maple.

Yes! Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) | The Hardwood Store https://www.hardwoodstore.com/ipe-brazilian-walnut

On 10/31/2018 at 11:16 PM, wombatie said:

Never heard of it before and I don't think I will be cutting any in the foreseeable future if its so hard, you did well though Kevin.

Marg

This and ironwood are the 2 hardest kinds of wood I've tried and both only for a few minutes once! Thank you, Marg!

I built a deck for someone out of Ipe a few years back. Every screw and nail had to be pre-drilled. The client wanted it stained against our advice. The near $100 per gallon stain, plus a pre-staintook okay, but that stuff doesn’t rot and will develop a beautiful natural patina if left to age. We had to custom make rails for a non-standard angle for the stairs and it was a challenge. It made for a pretty deck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 10:03 AM, Old Joe said:

I built a deck for someone out of Ipe a few years back. Every screw and nail had to be pre-drilled. The client wanted it stained against our advice. The near $100 per gallon stain, plus a pre-staintook okay, but that stuff doesn’t rot and will develop a beautiful natural patina if left to age. We had to custom make rails for a non-standard angle for the stairs and it was a challenge. It made for a pretty deck!

Boy oh boy,   i'll bet it wowed the customer!!