Delta Brand Scroll Saw

lawson56

I had a dewalt 788 and it hit the dust after 5 years oldso when I bought I bought a Delta  and have used it for one summer and have no problems with it. the only gripe I have had is that the speed keeps slowing down U set it on 6 and it keeps moving back to about a 4 I can tell when it slowed down and I move it back to a 6  I bought it thru Loews and will take it back to them for repairs.n It is not as aggressive as the Dewalt and it takes a little longer to do a job.

IKE

Edited by ike

Been running my Delta scroll saw for 6 months now and no problems. When my DeWalt died, I replaced it with the Delta. 5 yr warranty! vs DeWalt's 1 yr.

I checked Delta service centers and there is one 15 miles away. Just go to the Delta site and enter your zip to find service centers.

bb

I have a Delta 40-694.  Pleased with it, however, our Iowa garage isn't heated, so every fall I grease all the bearings and let it hibernate over winter.  As for the "lack of parts", with the probable exception of the motor, it looks like 788 & Delta parts are the same.  Would bet that if you ever needed parts for a Delta, you just buy for a Dewalt,

jerry

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Before I'd buy any saw brand new, I'd search out Craigslist. Keep an eye on it and watch for a deal to come along. I have had 3 saws so far. All bought used that way. A Dewalt, a Hegner and an Excalibur. I haven't paid more than $300 for any one of them. 

I second Ray's post. I see older Hegners at silly low prices quite often.  You might have to be patient or drive a ways, but good deals on quality tools are available.

13 minutes ago, JAC1961 said:

I second Ray's post. I see older Hegners at silly low prices quite often.  You might have to be patient or drive a ways, but good deals on quality tools are available.

Did you see the one I posted a while ago? A Hegner with all the upgrades for $150. I'm tempted to go buy it just to resell it.

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

Did you see the one I posted a while ago? A Hegner with all the upgrades for $150. I'm tempted to go buy it just to resell it.

Don't think I did, but I'm so tempted to buy one of the ones that I've seen.  I don't use my Dewalt enough (yet) or have floor space to justify it, but it sure is tempting.

Maybe if I'd sell some lumber... Nah!

2 minutes ago, JAC1961 said:

Don't think I did, but I'm so tempted to buy one of the ones that I've seen.  I don't use my Dewalt enough (yet) or have floor space to justify it, but it sure is tempting.

Maybe if I'd sell some lumber... Nah!

I'm sorry. I don't know what happened but I know I posted the link earlier. Check it out now. I just reposted it. 

Also agree with Ray.. all of my saws other than my DeWalt was bought from facebook marketplace and or craigslist... most expensive saw was the still new boxed Hawk 226VS Ultra.. paid $400 for that.. $360 for my new still boxed Excalibur EX21 and $100 for my Hawk 220VS.. so for less than a new Hawk.. I bought three saw all higher end saws.. 

That said.. If you really want new.. ( I love to buy new now and then and understand how the feel of being able to return the saw no questions asked too) I wouldn't be scared to buy the Delta.. In fact when I started my hunt for a back-up saw.. I was seriously looking at the Delta.. until I found that first $100 Hawk. then the second popped up even though I wasn't really looking.. couldn't pass it up.. being new in the box.. then the EX showed up.. now I don't need any new / used saws for quite a long time I don't think.. 

The Delta saw I feel is a good saw..and I do think the parts are pretty much the same as DeWalt.. I'd buy the Delta in a heartbeat if I was looking for new and on a budget.. even though I don't like the NEW delta company as they do seem to discontinue parts and do things I don't think is really right.. seems to be the way most companies these days are..  

• 2 months later...

I just received my Delta, and with it a booklet containing a complete parts list and exploded view drawings. A quick Google search reveals at least two companies that handle parts online. I searched for parts and my test parts were available. 9 service centers within 1.5 hours of me, the closest being 45 minutes. And I live in the boonies!

I did all this b4 deciding to buy my saw. 

But I am also keeping my old saw just in case, and will probably keep looking at CL for a bargain just to use as a power file or sander. My 2 cents.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-40694-variable-speed-scroll-saw-parts-c-3275_3505_418339.html

Edited by Scruffydog