Porter Cable Squeaking.

Toothpick

Hello Everyone, 

Yesterday I bought a Porter Cable scroll saw from Lowe’s. I used it last night and it worked great except for a very slight vibration. I got some rubber to put under the legs and under the bolts where the saw is attached to the stand. Hopefully that helps with the vibration. But anyway,....tonight I head out to the shed to add the rubber and the saw is squeaking. Wasn’t squeaking yesterday when I used it for a few small projects...

It sounds like it is coming from the upper arm pivot point/bearings. Is there anyway I can fix this short of taking it back? I bought the last one and I’d really like to start scrolling! I have attached a video of the squeak. 

Thanks for your help!

-Jason 

https://youtu.be/fJF7SC-GEzs

58 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Hello Everyone, 

Yesterday I bought a Porter Cable scroll saw from Lowe’s. I used it last night and it worked great except for a very slight vibration. I got some rubber to put under the legs and under the bolts where the saw is attached to the stand. Hopefully that helps with the vibration. But anyway,....tonight I head out to the shed to add the rubber and the saw is squeaking. Wasn’t squeaking yesterday when I used it for a few small projects...

It sounds like it is coming from the upper arm pivot point/bearings. Is there anyway I can fix this short of taking it back? I bought the last one and I’d really like to start scrolling! I have attached a video of the squeak. 

Thanks for your help!

-Jason 

https://youtu.be/fJF7SC-GEzs

Just for the sake of narrowing down where the squeak is coming from, You might spray some silicon spray on the blade holder joints while the saw is running in slow speed to see if the noise goes away. I'm not sure of the design of your saw but if it's anything like the Dewalt or other similar saws, there are many joints/brgs. that need to be lubed from time to time. That's where I'd start.

Thanks, Ray

I attached a photo to this post of my saw. To my ears it sounds like it is coming from behind the Porter Cable plate on the upper arm. And right there is where it looks like the bearings are, or at least some type of moving part. 

It’s a brand new saw too. Just got it yesterday. Seems odd it wouldn’t come lubed up but then again, doesn’t really seem odd. 

35D36F24-CB2F-465C-B34F-DC6C0AF92CE4.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Thanks, Ray

I attached a photo to this post of my saw. To my ears it sounds like it is coming from behind the Porter Cable plate on the upper arm. And right there is where it looks like the bearings are, or at least some type of moving part. 

It’s a brand new saw too. Just got it yesterday. Seems odd it wouldn’t come lubed up but then again, doesn’t really seem odd. 

35D36F24-CB2F-465C-B34F-DC6C0AF92CE4.jpeg

Well, if it were me, I'd take it back before it gets worse. How many Lowe's are near you? Just the one? Maybe take it back and head over to Home Depot and see what they have. You can order online and have it shipped to the store. Have you checked for used saws on Craigslist? I have bought 3 top end saws off of C/L and haven't paid over $300 for any of them. I'm going to pick up another one Monday and it's a Hegner for $150 with stand. Don't be in a hurry and good things come your way. Too bad you're so far away. I have a great Dewalt that I'm going to sell once I get the Hegner home. I would take that saw back though.

3 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Well, if it were me, I'd take it back before it gets worse. How many Lowe's are near you? Just the one? Maybe take it back and head over to Home Depot and see what they have. You can order online and have it shipped to the store. Have you checked for used saws on Craigslist? I have bought 3 top end saws off of C/L and haven't paid over $300 for any of them. I'm going to pick up another one Monday and it's a Hegner for $150 with stand. Don't be in a hurry and good things come your way. Too bad you're so far away. I have a great Dewalt that I'm going to sell once I get the Hegner home. I would take that saw back though.

Just the one Lowe’s in town. Next closest one is an hour away. Same with Home Depot, an hour away as well. Since I just got it yesterday I have at least 14 days (I think) to return it. So I’d first like to see if any fixes are available. Maybe someone out there on the inter webs as the same one and the same problem. If not I’ll be packing it up and returning it. 

I have not checked C/L, didn’t even think about that. I will now though! 

2 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Just the one Lowe’s in town. Next closest one is an hour away. Same with Home Depot, an hour away as well. Since I just got it yesterday I have at least 14 days (I think) to return it. So I’d first like to see if any fixes are available. Maybe someone out there on the inter webs as the same one and the same problem. If not I’ll be packing it up and returning it. 

I have not checked C/L, didn’t even think about that. I will now though! 

There are at least 6 Hawks for sale near me right now. And probably the same number or more Dewalts. There are 2 Excaliburs but they bring more money. I know I live in a much more high volume area when it comes to used stuff. Good luck. You'll find something. I have no idea what a saw like yours sells for but I'll bet you can find a Dewalt for about the same or a bit more.

I have had the same model for about 3 yrs.Take it back.It's only going to get worse,behind the name plate is a bolt you will find one one the bottom as well,it takes a big allen wrench,sooner or latter you will start having to make adjustments every time you start and stop cutting,even on a single piece.From a owner,Take it back.😥

Take it back to Lowe's and get your money back.In the instruction book it states that you can take it back within 60 days . I bought one for a backup saw and I didn't like the way you have to load a blade. the sales man started to argue with me until I showed him in the book where I could take it back I had a Dewalt and after a year I had a lot of problems with it,so I bought a Delta with a 5 year  guarantee and I haven't had any problems with it.

IKE

Just out of curiosity, was the blade rubbing the insert?

I do agree that, if you are having problems and it is under warranty, I would return it.
Hopefully you can get a replacement fairly quickly if you want the Porter Cable but,
other scrollers seem pretty happy with the DeWalts or Deltas. Just like everything else though,
not everybody is satisfied with one or the other. Too many variables to compare one saw to another 
on every point.

God Bless! Spirithorse

3 hours ago, spirithorse said:

Just out of curiosity, was the blade rubbing the insert?

I do agree that, if you are having problems and it is under warranty, I would return it.
Hopefully you can get a replacement fairly quickly if you want the Porter Cable but,
other scrollers seem pretty happy with the DeWalts or Deltas. Just like everything else though,
not everybody is satisfied with one or the other. Too many variables to compare one saw to another 
on every point.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I didn’t make it out there today to check. I don’t think it is. BUT, I’m not 100% sure on that. I’ll have more time tomorrow and I’ll check it out. 

It’s not coming from the blade rubbing the plastic piece. Plenty of space there. I started it up and it has no squeak, just vibration. It was warmer today, roughly 65 degrees. I run it for a while. Then next thing you know the squeak comes back. I turn it off and on while I’m fiddling around. The squeak goes away. Then comes back, then goes away. Ha!! I’m very likely going to take it back and upgrade to the Delta. 

39 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

It’s not coming from the blade rubbing the plastic piece. Plenty of space there. I started it up and it has no squeak, just vibration. It was warmer today, roughly 65 degrees. I run it for a while. Then next thing you know the squeak comes back. I turn it off and on while I’m fiddling around. The squeak goes away. Then comes back, then goes away. Ha!! I’m very likely going to take it back and upgrade to the Delta. 

You are a wise man. And you won't be sorry. Starting out with an inferior product of any kind is enough to frustrate you into not enjoying what you are doing and you might up and quit. You won't regret buying either the Delta or the Dewalt. Money well spent.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but I thought for sure it was the top bushing with the large Allen key and polished the pin with 1500 grit wet paper and hit it with white lithium, it stopped it only for a bit, frustrated I pulled the back cover off and sprayed the 2 small bushings with white grease and about 5 seconds after I turned it on quiet and vibration....well not free but mu h better. 

5 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

Did factory line work. These machines come down lines with people doing the same mind numbing task hour after hour. Eventually things are missed and you get 'lemons'. Another machine would probably be fine, or troubleshoot and fix it, if that's what is fun. RJF

I like fixing stuff but not brand new stuff at full price. Give 50% off and then I'll fix it.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:27 AM, Toothpick said:

Do y'all think the Delta 40-694 is a better option? 

Or the DeWalt DW788 ? 

I also only have an un-heated shed to use it in. I do turn the heat on when I'm out there though. Kerosene heater. 

Yes! Either one! MUCH better saw. Dewalt 788 is my personal choice. 

about  years Ago I bought one as a backup . It vibrated and made funny noises Lowes didn't want to take it back until I showed them in the manual where if I wasn't scarified with  it to return it . They took  it back  but I think it was a piece of junk Won't buy another one.

IKE