Zero Table Indicator

Vector01

I find with the new Dewalt I have to back up away from the saw and bend over to see the gauge to change the table settings. Then to return the table to zero I have to do the same thing. Thinking about this I had a brain storm.

I needed something simple where I could just glance at the rear of the table to set my table to zero without the other steps. So...I came up with this. It's still in the "mock up" stage. I'm working on a way to attach it and still be able to remove it if neccessary. It will be either magnetic strips or double sided tape. My main concern is just being able to easily zero the table. I don't do a lot of bevel cutting at this point. I can add markings on the gauge in the future for the most common settings like 3 degrees, 5 degrees, 10 degrees, etc.

It's basically some 1/2" oak for the gauge and a piece of 3/8" yellowheart for the indicator. I cut and trimmed an old blade as a pointer.

[attachment=0]bevel zero.jpg[/attachment]

The only issue I see is when you are cutting large projects. Will the work bang into the gauge? I never trust the gauges on the machines for accurate readings. If you look at them from a slightly different angle it may appear to be aligned but may actually be off a degree or so. Just my two cents.