New glue stick

WayneMahler

Working in my shop today I was removing the pattern and blue painters tape. I got to place that was very fragile and was very careful. Yet a small piece broke off.  This piece was about 1/4" long and a 1/16" wide. Since the pattern is totally symmetrical I wanted to put it back in. Normally I use a tooth pick but am out of them. I looked around and could not find anything small enough to fit in that area for the repair . I looked in y trash can a seen some old blades from my scroll saw. I used one of them. Was surprised at how easy it was to control the amount glue applied and the control of applying the titebond. The repair went very good and no excess glue or lines could be seen. Just thought I would share this little tid bit I learned today in case anyone else runs into this. 

Nice tip thanks

Couple of more
Next time you see a Dr. ask for some tongue depressors, they stil have them.  Break one lengthwise, they almost always break with one side having a very fine point.  And being hardwood they can be sharpened to a point if needed, and of course they are free.

Chicken Express, order corn on the cob and they give you two or more dowels, hard wood, already sharpened to a point.

I am close to needing a refill of wood glue, I notice a lot of folks seem to like titebond, so while at home depot I thought I would get some.  Two or three varieties, but none of them say dries clear - do all titebond glues dry clear, or at if your flavor of titebond does, what flavor is it?
TIA

Great tips Wayne and Jim!! I've always used the toothpick method and have had a few instances where I was out of them.. I just go out and saw something out of a piece of scrap.. I throw all my used blades into a 5 gallon bucket.. have almost a full bucket.. Maybe I should list them on ebay as recyclable glue sticks applicators, Flexable long lasting made of metal so won't break.. $.50 each or a dozen for $2.00 😂

What glues do dry clear if there is such a thing?  I think I've always used Tite bond III because it was recommended for making cutting boards...   

4 hours ago, JimErn said:

Nice tip thanks

Couple of more
Next time you see a Dr. ask for some tongue depressors, they stil have them.  Break one lengthwise, they almost always break with one side having a very fine point.  And being hardwood they can be sharpened to a point if needed, and of course they are free.

Chicken Express, order corn on the cob and they give you two or more dowels, hard wood, already sharpened to a point.

I am close to needing a refill of wood glue, I notice a lot of folks seem to like titebond, so while at home depot I thought I would get some.  Two or three varieties, but none of them say dries clear - do all titebond glues dry clear, or at if your flavor of titebond does, what flavor is it?
TIA

For most scroll saw projects including gluing broken pieces I use Aleen’s Tacky glue. It does dry clear, but most importantly it is thick so it holds pieces together, in most cases without clamping. For regular woodworking, I always use Titebond II or III.

2 hours ago, ike said:

I have never sen any tightbond that dryers clear You have to be careful when using it where it shows.

IKE

I use this Titebond glue.  It dries clear. Probably very similar to Aleen’s Tacky glue.  I really like it and find I am using it more all the time.  I also use thick CA glue on tiny pieces.  Applying it from the back of the picture.

titebond-super-glue-2403-64_1000.jpg

Edited by Scrappile

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I use this Titebond glue.  It dries clear. Probably very similar to Aleen’s Tacky glue.  I really like it and find I am using it more all the time.  I also use thick CA glue on tiny pieces.  Applying it from the back of the picture.

titebond-super-glue-2403-64_1000.jpg

I found this in a google search, naturally not in stock unless I want to go 60 miles one way

good to know it does in fact dry clear

thanks

16 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I just came from ACE hardware and purchased Titebond III. I saw the Titebond Quick and Thick but had not paid much attention to it. I'll have to go back and pick some up. I also a bottlle of Weldbond. Fairly expensive. I someone here uses it I'd like to know how it is.

I use Weldbond most of the time, it dried clear but you have to wipe the surplus if you want to stain or shellac. I apply it with a tooth pick or small brush for small items, good hold and easy to work with.