EvapoRust - Excellent product!

new2woodwrk

Just a heads up about this product Evapo Rust...

Thanks to Hurricane Michael, many of my tools, including my table saw, scroll saw as well as the blades in some of my tubes, and power tools all had a layer of rust settle on them.

I put some Evapo Rust on rag, and wiped down the power tools, soaked my scroll blades in a tube filled with the liquid, wiped down the table tops and the rust layer disappeared within minutes.

I was then able to wax my tools and all looks like new again, the blades are none for the wear and my table tops all shine and wood slides right off them whee!

Good product this Evapo Rust which can be purchased at HF.

Hope that helps anyone else with a rust problem :)

On 3/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, new2woodwrk said:

Just a heads up about this product Evapo Rust...

Thanks to Hurricane Michael, many of my tools, including my table saw, scroll saw as well as the blades in some of my tubes, and power tools all had a layer of rust settle on them.

I put some Evapo Rust on rag, and wiped down the power tools, soaked my scroll blades in a tube filled with the liquid, wiped down the table tops and the rust layer disappeared within minutes.

I was then able to wax my tools and all looks like new again, the blades are none for the wear and my table tops all shine and wood slides right off them whee!

Good product this Evapo Rust which can be purchased at HF.

Hope that helps anyone else with a rust problem :)

I don't know that my success with the product was as good as yours but I recommend the product because I've never found anything better.

4 hours ago, oldhudson said:

I don't know that my success with the product was as good as yours but I recommend the product because I've never found anything better.

What I have found works best is soaking what ever has rust on it.

2nd best is to wipe on and keep wet what ever has rust for at least an hour if its a thick layer, less time if it'snot.

For me, I have some items that are so rusted they have to be soaked over night as well as some that I've been soaking for a week - the outcome however is always better than having to buy another widget.

I wish I had taken a before picture but today I cleaned up a Jacobs chuck on a morse taper that I had neglected for years.  I immersed it in white vinegar for about four hours then rinsed it in clean water.  After a little work with a wire brush in a cordless drill and a wipe with WD40 it has come up almost as new.

Rob

JacobsChuck.jpg

My neighbour, the one that restores old engines, uses molasses. It is a real eye opener. He showed me a rusted seized crank , put it in the drum of molasses and three days later there was not a sign of rust and the you could of knocked me down with a feather, it had freed up.
I think it may make machine tables a little sticky :)

4 hours ago, John B said:

My neighbour, the one that restores old engines, uses molasses. It is a real eye opener. He showed me a rusted seized crank , put it in the drum of molasses and three days later there was not a sign of rust and the you could of knocked me down with a feather, it had freed up.
I think it may make machine tables a little sticky :)

Is this an April Fools joke???🙄 Never heard of that before.  I mean even if it works, who get up one day and says, "I have to get rust off this equipment, I think I will see if molasses will remove it"?🤔

I know of using vinegar, it is great for many things.

Edited by Scrappile

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Is this an April Fools joke???🙄 Never heard of that before.  I mean even if it works, who get up one day and says, "I have to get rust off this equipment, I think I will see if molasses will remove it"?🤔

I know of using vinegar, it is great for many things.

I don't know where he heard of it, I actually don't know where you'd buy 5 gallons of molasses from, I must ask. Apparently there is one caveat, there can not be any grease or oil on the item as this buggers up whatever the molasses does.
I myself would have better uses for molasses, Rum springs to mind ;)

2 hours ago, John B said:

I don't know where he heard of it, I actually don't know where you'd buy 5 gallons of molasses from, I must ask. Apparently there is one caveat, there can not be any grease or oil on the item as this buggers up whatever the molasses does.
I myself would have better uses for molasses, Rum springs to mind ;)

While hey if it works, who's to complain but really, 5 gallons of molasses?  The cost alone sounds prohibitive, no?

Not to mention the bugs it would attract?

• 1 year later...

I love Evapo-Rust. It works great, especilly for small parts. What I like best is that I can keep using it until it stops working, and when I'm finished I can pour it on my lawn as an iron supplement. There are no chemical burns or hazardous waste to dispose of.

You can probably get molasses in 55 Gallon drums.

I seent rust removed with all sorts of things. Potatoes and water being the strangest. It smells terrible.

Lye solution will remove rust and seems to work better if you add a piece of zinc. I used to hunt civil war relics and used this method to clean heavy rust off of cast iron.  It takes a long time, but it works.

Evaporust...I will definitely put it on my shopping list...

I restored a Lion miter knife, and other oldies, with a 50/50 acetone/ATF solution, wet paper, rust slurry and elbow grease...now I know better for my future "ole arn" finds...

...but I have to say, I would never have thought of molasses...🙂