Hurt my back so I bought a scroll saw

Rohlj

Hello all! I’m Jen, from Manitoba, Canada. 

As the title says I hurt my back last year and was limited to what I could do. So I bought myself a Rikon 10–600vs on a whim. Had someone carry it in the garage for me and started scrolling. 10minutes in and it quit working all together. I took a the saw apart and found that a bolt had come loose, so I put it all back together and went back to scrolling only to figure out that my saw was a dud. Rikon ended up replacing it now questions asked after I sent a video of it running. 

While waiting for it to be replace I purchased a used Dewalt and have enjoyed using it. However now it has the knock of death as I like to call it. So I’m looking to upgrade again. I’ll be buying new this time. 

I’ve always been into woodworking so scrolling was a natural progression. I’m happy that I hurt my back last year because it’s opened up a revenue source for myself that I didn’t know was possible. Here’s a few of the projects I completed last year fall/early winter. Now that winters finished and it’s not so incredibly cold outside I can get back to scrolling!

2108C96C-28A1-4C0B-91D4-883C1AB0F0A2.jpeg

D93D377F-3505-468F-9CFF-28EA38547BCE.jpeg

E41C79A7-4896-493A-89A3-C59701C9A25E.jpeg

2FB87179-37BE-4030-9F8E-8DA4D3DE8ED4.jpeg

Welcome to the village.  I had problems with my Dewalt earlier.  The service center here (Canada) had a flat rate fee of $320 to fix the saw.  Got it back, but was unfortunately not repaired.  Turns out it was a good thing.  After sending it back again, they couldn't figure out what was wrong and replaced it with a brand new machine, warranty and all.  Maybe a thought for your Dewalt.

Hi Jen and welcome to the Village.  Glad you found us and look forward to your participation.  Hope your back is doing well now.  I would think it would be difficult to scroll for long with a bad back.  Do you get up and take regular breaks?  As far as your Dewalt, it sounds like from your post you are mechanically inclined.  There are videos available on servicing your saw yourself.  I know that I have seen several here that have done this themselves.  You might look into that and perhaps someone who has done so will chime in with more info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.  I have also had lots of back pain.  Surgery finally fixed most of it.  There are hours and hours of posts for you to go thru here, get yourself a nice pillow for your chair!  Also, I didn't know that we could make doughnuts with our scroll saws!