Waxing the Table

Rockytime

The only thing I dislike about my Hawk is the table surface. It is cast aluminum and finished by running it through a large drum sander. Nothing wrong with the finish except I use a paste wax on it but does not seem to make much difference. I happened to find a rattle can of Amway Wonder Mist. It is just a silicone spray. The can has followed us for 55 years. Can is a bit rusty but still sprays. A very light spray made all the difference. Just wondering if anyone else uses a similar product.

Think it was Randy ( Hotshot ) that sanded his down to a real fine sandpaper and then buffed it out like you would a car with buffing compound.. looked like a mirror finish... I've done the same thing but without doing the sanding.. I don't want a mirror.. Might see my reflection and mess me up, LOL.. Ideally the sanding marks gives less surface drag so it should be easier spinning than a complete flat surface..

Anyway any new to me saw I use a my buffing wheel and compound on the table to clean them up good.. then I use Johnson paste wax periodically  after that.. My dewalt one time had got something on it.. believe it was some sap from cutting something that wasn't completely dried out but don't now that to be a fact.. anyway I ended up having to run the buffer on it again because the paste wax just wasn't getting it good.. it'd help but quickly need waxed again.. like about every other day.. after buffing and the paste wax.. it was fine again..

17 minutes ago, teachnlearn said:

I've never seen buffing wheels like that.. but then they wouldn't be too practical for the autobody world.. This is what I have.. and I just use the medium buffing compound that I would use on cars.. Since I have this stuff on hand.. it's what I use..  The wool pads are plenty good for this purpose.. since I not looking to make a mirror, lol

https://www.ideaautorepair.com/product/6131/equipment-tools-hand-specialty-tools?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4qvlBRDiARIsAHme6osSFtd7AFwRaye8134M0oBEYr7Efw9wcGwkDPvOSd1OmZkGKJKdQXwaAicOEALw_wcB

6 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've never seen buffing wheels like that.. but then they wouldn't be too practical for the autobody world.. This is what I have.. and I just use the medium buffing compound that I would use on cars.. Since I have this stuff on hand.. it's what I use..  The wool pads are plenty good for this purpose.. since I not looking to make a mirror, lol

https://www.ideaautorepair.com/product/6131/equipment-tools-hand-specialty-tools?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4qvlBRDiARIsAHme6osSFtd7AFwRaye8134M0oBEYr7Efw9wcGwkDPvOSd1OmZkGKJKdQXwaAicOEALw_wcB

Kevin, I can't begin to tell you how many of those I've sold. 

11 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

The autobody and car stuff could probably be found locally. I come from a world of science labs and industrial labs. The article works on reference to compounds for the material and reference to type wheel. I buffed a collection of pennies dated from the first year of marriage to 50th Anniversary with their wedding picture in the middle. All the pennies were in date order mounted in fostner holes then clear coated. Gave it to inlaws. RJF

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, I can't begin to tell you how many of those I've sold. 

I can't tell you how many of those I went through in the business... well not exactly like the one shown.. I first started buying the air powered ones.. they are much nicer because of better speed control on certain contours of a car body.. if not careful that electric one will burn the paint right off a edge on a car LOL.. No need to ask how I learn that.. LOL.. Took a long time to get used to the electric ones.. they don't loose power on some heavy buffing like the air ones do.. and the air ones you can make then just barely spin.. Electric spins lowest I think was 750 or 1000 RPM ? anyway.. certainly take getting used to between the air and electric.. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I can't tell you how many of those I went through in the business... well not exactly like the one shown.. I first started buying the air powered ones.. they are much nicer because of better speed control on certain contours of a car body.. if not careful that electric one will burn the paint right off a edge on a car LOL.. No need to ask how I learn that.. LOL.. Took a long time to get used to the electric ones.. they don't loose power on some heavy buffing like the air ones do.. and the air ones you can make then just barely spin.. Electric spins lowest I think was 750 or 1000 RPM ? anyway.. certainly take getting used to between the air and electric.. 

You mention auto body several times, I'm surprised you don't detail cars every once in a while. RJF

5 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

You mention auto body several times, I'm surprised you don't detail cars every once in a while. RJF

Not practical for where I live.. not many people want to drive out to the boonies to have a car detailed... I also live 1/2 mile off the main road on a gravel road.. I have all the equipment to do detailing.. well most of it anyway.. special high end carpet / seat shampoo machine etc.. but..as I said.. not real practical.. once they get to the main road after a detail.. it's need detailed again... 

8 minutes ago, Phantom Scroller said:

I use this on all my saw surfaces and my house window hinges man they fly open and my roller blinds great stuff and cheap. Roly

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lubricants/7577134/

I've seen that stuff when I was looking for a dry lube for my Hawk saw lubrication.. they recommend a dry lube but that is all they say.. so I never knew what exactly to use.. I found a similar product but made by P.B. 

I think my next trip to town I'll get a can of this since my other can is about gone.. I ended up liking the stuff so well I use it on about everything from door hinges, brake cables on bicycles to windows as you say.. LOL  Amazing how much the stuff works.. I went through most of the can in one day, LOL

4 hours ago, Phantom Scroller said:

I use this on all my saw surfaces and my house window hinges man they fly open and my roller blinds great stuff and cheap. Roly

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lubricants/7577134/

Took a few cut and pastes to find it in the US. Will put it on a future list. RJF

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/handle-buy-box/ref=dp_start-bbf_1_glance

51 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I've using Johnson's out of the same can for probably 20 years now.  Amazing how long it lasts.  I don't live where there is high humidity which helps on the rust area, I manly wax for a slick surface.

Around the ocean, a person can't stand still for fear of corrosion. I can feel it happening right now.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Around the ocean, a person can't stand still for fear of corrosion. I can feel it happening right now.

I spent time in Bremerton WA, grinding the deck surface of an Aircraft Carrier. Before we could coat it the next day it was rusted. We were ordered to grind the rust, which was back the next day, and on and on, til finally they hired a firm to grind and coat the deck. Rained every day. RJF

4 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I don't suppose that anybody ever came up with the idea of scraping the rust off a small area and then painting it? And then most to another small spot. There is the right way, the wrong way, and the "military" way. Every time.

OH NO! We had to all get air grinders, THEN when the entire deck was ground down and checked by an Officer we were to go get the grit coating. If you can imagine the size of the top of an aircraft carrier, we worked with a hand grinder on our knees, about 10 enlisted. I think my back and knees are shot from weeks of kneeling on a steel deck. RJF