What Did YOU Do Today?

Rockytime

Not a whole lot going on here so perhaps I can get something going. This morning I spent working on Wally Walleye. I spent a couple hours getting it ready to cut and a bit of that. Steve Good suggested keeping an old blade around the saw with a small magnet to be used for poking out bits of wood of a pattern being cut. I made a small handle on the lathe and epoxied a #9 blade into it. That passed a little time. Next I needed to upgrade the little cart for my small air compressor. The cart has lots of lines drawn on it. I thought the compressor sat on four pads. Then I turned it over to measure the pads and I discovered it had only three pads so more lines were needed. Since the thing rolls on four bearing like casters allowing it to wander all over. I added an eye screw on one corner so it can be pulled straight with a short tow line.

I hope some of you scrollers respond with pictures.

1-20190530_190604.jpg

2-20190530_190124.jpg

3-20190530_190147.jpg

4-20190530_185125.jpg

5-20190530_185445.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Not a whole lot going on here so perhaps I can get something going. This morning I spent working on Wally Walleye. I spent a couple hours getting it ready to cut and a bit of that. Steve Good suggested keeping an old blade around the saw with a small magnet to be used for poking out bits of wood of a pattern being cut. I made a small handle on the lathe and epoxied a #9 blade into it. That passed a little time. Next I needed to upgrade the little cart for my small air compressor. The cart has lots of lines drawn on it. I thought the compressor sat on four pads. Then I turned it over to measure the pads and I discovered it had only three pads so more lines were needed. Since the thing rolls on four bearing like casters allowing it to wander all over. I added an eye screw on one corner so it can be pulled straight with a short tow line.

I hope some of you scrollers respond with pictures.

1-20190530_190604.jpg

2-20190530_190124.jpg

3-20190530_190147.jpg

4-20190530_185125.jpg

5-20190530_185445.jpg

That's the best part of our hobby. The shop is never finished. 

I played on the New hawk today... put several hundred hours on it today 😂 .. or.. maybe that was several hundred it put on me? LOL

I made two new car clock patterns per customer request.. ( no pictures yet coming to the bragging section soon though ) Then I went out and cut those and then cut two Honda clocks like the picture below ( Steve Good pattern by the way.... without the clock I should add  ) that I sold out of the other day.. I also had about 15-20 clocks and a couple puzzles that needed a finish put on them so I did that too.. ( no pictures of that either.. ) 

Now that the weather has been a little better and I bought a new / used car so now I hope not to have to walk / push the old car which should give me more scroll sawing time 😂.. maybe I can get something done.. so far this year it seems like everything needs repaired or replaced.. and we seem to be only getting one sunny day a week.. and with all the rain the grass in those 6 rainy days gets about 9 foot tall LOL.. I mowed wet grass most of this evening so I could find my car in the morning.. kid as almost late to school this morning because the grass grew so much I couldn't remember where the car was. 😂... did I mention that we been getting a lot of rain and the grass just grows and grows.. 

I finally got the blown head gasket replaced on my lawn tractor late last week.. runs great now.. so I ran it down to my other shop to take off the snow thrower and put the mower on.. all ready to go mow I thought.. but unfortunately I need a new belt now.. Guess maybe tomorrow while I'm in town I'll get a belt.. because mowing 2 acres of lawn with a 21" push mower up hill both directions in the rain twice a week is getting kinda old..

il_794xN.1492307627_shii.jpg

61554630_2529930497030661_3458451750007078912_n.jpg

No photos, sorry.  I spray painted 2 more football plaques ( I can only do two at a time at the moment because I have to let them dry in a spare bedroom because it's too wet and cold outside).  I spoke to my daughter on the phone for an hour, also got to speak with my two sick grandkids, they have the dreaded winter lurgy.  Photocopied the piece for the next football plaque and helped Terry (my husband) put labels on the new draws he's got under his lathes.  So no scrolling for me today hopefully tomorrow.

Marg

I went out to the Riding For The Disabled site where I do volunteer work ,I repaired some broken storm water pipes then I installed an emergency assembly sign & then I had to put up 2 painted metal birds on top of archways that the children ride through  , One white cockatoo & one parrot.Hope the kids like them. When I got home i did some scroll work on a Ford Mustang I am cutting .Then took it easy & had a cuppa & did some cryptic crosswords with my partner. I think that is a good day's work done. Sorry no pictures.

I went down the shed this morning and thought " I think I'll clean it up" but then thought "Bugger it, i'll just work around the mess and make more :) "
I did notice a very long (about 3") stalagmite of clear lacquer hanging from my spray gun. On inspection it seems I cracked the cup (Plastic) where it screws onto the gun so of to Super cheap Auto and drop $50 on another one. Then my Son and I walked to the local shops about 3k, to get some goodies and decided to have lunch at the cafe. It was a longer walk home with a shopping bag each ;)
The into the shed to finish a handful of jobs and glue up for some more and a few beers as the arvo wore on.
Then time on the computer designing labels for my puzzles.
I'm exhausted just thinking about it all.

Shop time - no didn't get there - haven't in a while.  Last weekend we helped move our son into his new apt in Atlanta.  He graduated 2 weeks before from College and has now become a real working adult as of Tues. of this week. 😊  He is happy about that 😉 - No wait, I'm happy about that. him not so much just yet. 😉😂 Then I forget what happened earlier in the week that kept me out of the shop.  Yesterday, I had to take my 92 year old FIL to get a chest x-ray, then got him some groceries, then had my own appt. That took most all day.  Today is a new day - maybe  I can get in the shop today or tomorrow if I can remember where it is and how the equipment works. 🙃🤔

14 hours ago, Rockytime said:

So what did you do Ray?

I have been wanting to get started on a jewelry box for a neighbor lady who needs something nice. She has been nursing her husband through his age related problems. Anyway, I found the plan in an old issue of SSWC magazine. I did all the cutting yesterday and today I will do the glue up and sanding. I have to get some black felt to line it with. The lid has a flower on it made of 4 different colored woods. The only wood I haven't found yet is sassafras. I might have to substitute something else. I'll post some pics when it's finished.

Wife has been on vacation this week, so not much going on out in the garage. I have a mess from hell that needs cleaned up, because I can not find anything from working on those cornhole boards and states map. I an having some problems with my shoulder from overdoing some things. (Kinda worried about ). Won't have time today or tomorrow to be out there in the garage because the weather is nice and we are meeting with family for dinner today and cooking out tomorrow for more family and friends. Hopefully I can get out there Sunday night and clean up so I can start again.

21 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

No photos sorry and no cutting - we had a garage sale today - 6am - 12 pm

And boy does it get hot these days now that we have no trees for shade 😞

r

We almost pulled the trigger on moving to Florida but we came to our senses. I like the cost of living there but I don't think I'd ever get used to the hot humid summers.

37 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

We almost pulled the trigger on moving to Florida but we came to our senses. I like the cost of living there but I don't think I'd ever get used to the hot humid summers.

One of my 6 brothers moved to FL two years ago because his wife has had really bad back issues and the cold didn't help it any.. he was bragging about to the rest of us northerners about how he'll have nice weather for riding his new Harley etc.. They moved late fall and all winter long he was posting pictures of their nice weather etc etc.. bragging about getting in the pool etc in the winter.. I finally said on one of his FB postings about how his pool will be a hot tub in the summer.. 

Anyway, his bragging came to a screeching halt after they really got their summer that first year.. Now the only posting I see him do it more complaining about the heat, humidity, and the hurricanes etc.. and too dang hot to ride his Harley.. LOL   Glad he at least enjoyed the first late fall / winter though... LOL

When the wife and I retire I've always said I'll never move south for a permanent home but would consider somewhere in between.. We both say Tennessee and or a winter home and a northern home.. I could be okay with staying in FL from Mid - Late Nov.- Late March.. probably more like Jan - April because I like the snow for Christmas time.. usually had enough of it by mid Jan - Feb.. LOL     

Thank God that some of you are choosing not to move to Florida. We have enough drivers that don't know where they are going choking the roads, waiting an hour for a table at your favorite restaurant, listening to stories how great it was up North etc. etc. (LOL)  Down here for 46 years and wouldn't change if for the world. Been in all 50 states and yes there are areas that I really love to visit, but Florida is my home and will be for the rest of my life. Once I hit that state line coming in from our travels, life is always better even at 92 degrees and 92 % humidity.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:37 PM, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Screwed up a cutting yesterday. Hate Pegas blades on thin Baltic Birch with fine cuts. So today thought I'd grovel around underneath my RV and fix the generator. Well that as well failed. Up to 90 and decided it's beer and pool time.

I'm glad you said that about the Pegas blades.  I am new to them and have a couple of items to do that will be in 1/8" and I can only do one at a time.  May have to try my FD blades as sure don't want to mess these up as they are large.

13 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

One of my 6 brothers moved to FL two years ago because his wife has had really bad back issues and the cold didn't help it any.. he was bragging about to the rest of us northerners about how he'll have nice weather for riding his new Harley etc.. They moved late fall and all winter long he was posting pictures of their nice weather etc etc.. bragging about getting in the pool etc in the winter.. I finally said on one of his FB postings about how his pool will be a hot tub in the summer.. 

Anyway, his bragging came to a screeching halt after they really got their summer that first year.. Now the only posting I see him do it more complaining about the heat, humidity, and the hurricanes etc.. and too dang hot to ride his Harley.. LOL   Glad he at least enjoyed the first late fall / winter though... LOL

When the wife and I retire I've always said I'll never move south for a permanent home but would consider somewhere in between.. We both say Tennessee and or a winter home and a northern home.. I could be okay with staying in FL from Mid - Late Nov.- Late March.. probably more like Jan - April because I like the snow for Christmas time.. usually had enough of it by mid Jan - Feb.. LOL     

1 hour ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Thank God that some of you are choosing not to move to Florida. We have enough drivers that don't know where they are going choking the roads, waiting an hour for a table at your favorite restaurant, listening to stories how great it was up North etc. etc. (LOL)  Down here for 46 years and wouldn't change if for the world. Been in all 50 states and yes there are areas that I really love to visit, but Florida is my home and will be for the rest of my life. Once I hit that state line coming in from our travels, life is always better even at 92 degrees and 92 % humidity.

We get a lot of those "transplants" that retire to FL then can't stand the summer heat, lack of "seasons", etc. but don't want to go back to the real cold and real long lengthy winters so instead, they move "half-way" back to our area in East TN thus "choking our roads, causing us to be waiting an hour for a table, listening to stories of how great it was up North, etc."  We call them "half-backs" around these parts because they moved "half-way" back home. 😉☺️ Course, they also like the fact that we have no state income tax too. 😉 As far as FL personally, I like to visit, but like Kevin, I would have to be a "part-timer" I think just for the heavy winter months of which we have few any way. I have a SIL who lives in Sunny Calif with Ray.  She complains about a lot of it, but she stays for the weather. ☺️  She comes home to visit in July and for Christmas.  Primarily to remind herself why she puts up with the other stuff in Cali.  Se gets the heat and humidity of summer in July and winter in December. 😉 (Though our worst part of Winter is probably more likely late Jan./Feb. - usually the coldest time.)  

10 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

There's no place like home!