Curves

Cllishof

Hi Chris:
The thickness of the wood and blade size plays a big part in trying to do what you want
If you Google Scroll saw blade chart, you will see what blade is recommended for what thickness wood
Dan is right when he said this is what a scroll saw is suppose to excel in
There are different brands of scroll saw blades and depending on who you talk to/with you will get all kinds of feedback
both good and bad - So a little more info on what your trying to do would help us answer your questions 
Hope this helps you
Fab4

10 hours ago, Cllishof said:

Is there a blade that works better when doing curves? I’m clearly new to scroll sawing and would appreciate any help I can get 

To answer your question, no there is not.

As stated al blades cut curves, the larger the blade the less tight the radius of the curve can be.  It really is a matter of practice and finding the blade/size you like and can control.

As an example I can not control a flying dutchman #3, but I love the pegas modified geometry #3

Jim has it right.  It is a matter of just getting used to a type of blade.  I am just the opposite.  I love Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse but had all sort of issues controlling Pegas MG blades.

It is worthwhile looking at Steve Goods videos and technique on cutting curves and circles.  It is video 7.  

http://www.stevedgood.com/school/sss.html

10 hours ago, don in brooklin on said:

Jim has it right.  It is a matter of just getting used to a type of blade.  I am just the opposite.  I love Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse but had all sort of issues controlling Pegas MG blades.

It is worthwhile looking at Steve Goods videos and technique on cutting curves and circles.  It is video 7.  

http://www.stevedgood.com/school/sss.html

I had the same issue with the pegas blades.  Flying dutchmen seem to be more forgiving. 

Stay away from plywood at all cost, if it's at all possible. Learn on wood. Every blade sings it's own tune in different thicknesses, species, & blade speed. 

My advice to ya, seein's how ya pointed out yer a newbie & all, is before ya start gettin any big ideas a goin in yer thinker box, sit yerself down to that saw, have a little conversation with it, then start runnin thru whatever blades ya got on hand, and start cuttin circles about 3" - 4" in diameter IN WOOD. Just keep cuttin circles til ya've managed to cut yerself a few perfect circles that fit the bill.

Do ya own a compass? If'n ya don't, use a empty vegetable can & trace around it. Drill ya an entry hole at each circle, & mark the circle with what blade ya used on it. If'n ya perfected one, spend time learnin to use that blade. 

Once ya learn that blade, ya can start learnin other sizes of blades in other circumstances. 

Got to thinking about this topic today. 

Following the curve also has to do a lot with the speed you saw at.

I am a big fan of very very slow speeds. I like to feel the saw cutting into the wood.  if you go really fast, it will just sort of float through and the grains in the wood will sort if just move the wood along. 

Going slow teaches you what it should feel like.  Does for me anyway, 

1 hour ago, crupiea said:

Got to thinking about this topic today. 

Following the curve also has to do a lot with the speed you saw at.

I am a big fan of very very slow speeds. I like to feel the saw cutting into the wood.  if you go really fast, it will just sort of float through and the grains in the wood will sort if just move the wood along. 

Going slow teaches you what it should feel like.  Does for me anyway, 

I have to agree with you. "Haste makes Waste"