hello from chilliwack b.c. canada

kraftkrazy

because of my arthritis and failing eyesight, i have had to give up my main love,,needlework.

i love making quilts,embroidery and crocheting...but have had to give it up. to hard on my eyes and hands. my doctor suggested scollsawing. i was given a saw by my kids and off i went.

i am limited to what i can make due to lack of wood in the area and money for supplies.

i really like doing scroll portraits but can not seem to do the patterns. i have the GIMP program and have been trying but just can't get the hang of it.

Hi Karen and welcome to the Village

Sorry to hear about the arthritis and eyesight issues, I hope you can work ok with scrollsawing and allow you to keep going with your creativity. Im amazed that your doctor knew what scrollsawing was, most people just give me a blank stare when I tell them I scroll saw after they ask me what sort of woodworking I do.

What model of scrollsaw do you have?

As for creating your own patterns using GIMP, The wonderful Travis has compiled some great lessons for GIMP in the Village University, you can find there here: viewforum.php?f=24

Welcome to the village Karen and sorry that you had to give up things you loved to do. Scrollsawing is a great thing and very therapeutic . It has been a hobby of mine for about 9yrs. ,but here the last or so i had to go on unemployment due to construction work not doing so hot and scrooling has become my bread and butter so to speak. Like Oges said check out tutorials on Gimp in Village university ,Travis did a great job and very easy to follow. I am a good example of that , I was using Coyote stencil shop until I trid Gimp and it changed my life . Once again welcome and dont be afraid to ask anything on here everyone is very friendly and will help anyway they can. Happy Scrolling , Eagledrum70 :thumbs:

Hi KraftKrazy welcome to the village. I'm sure one youv'e been scrolling for a while you will wonder why you didn't take it up sooner. Apart from doing the Gimp tutorial check out the pattern library I'm sure there will be lots there to tempt you creative juices. But most importantly...Have Fun

Marg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...