Should I, can I?

Miran

Before you all get crazy of me with my many post in a short time I have to explain that we still have 1 and a half week vacation here 😀 
And I just had my Hegner 3 weeks ago , I did some hesitation before I started my first project but my hubby just was like: Just look for a nice pattern and start.

So I did........and that is when it hit me....the scroll saw fever 😂

Yes really it is like a fever. All my head is thinking is scrolling and scrolling and looking here at the forum.  My kids and hubby kinda smile about it because they know when work, school etc start again that I will have lesser time so they just letting me have this fever and really are so great and lovely to take over somethings in te house that I kinda let slip a bit because of this scroll fever 😂🥰

Now, just the other day I was reading the topic of Don McFarland about the Layered art work

And of course also watched the video of Steve Good linked in that topic.
I really love watching that and though I have no experience at all my head is going like, I want to do that , I want to.....
But as a beginner ...should I? Or is that a bit to high to take on just yet. 
Or should I just give it a try and if so how and with what because I do not have Coral draw

I always feel you should try what you want as long as you can afford the cost without changing your life style.

Inkscape and gimp are two graphics programs that are free (open source) and you can download and install both.  There is a learning curve and depending on you personally how steep that curve is can be hard to say.

In the resource center here at SSV are tutorials on both inskscape and gimp, and of course googling them will find you even more of the tutorial or how to instructions/videos on the net.

I say go for it.

8 minutes ago, JimErn said:

I always feel you should try what you want as long as you can afford the cost without changing your life style.

Inkscape and gimp are two graphics programs that are free (open source) and you can download and install both.  There is a learning curve and depending on you personally how steep that curve is can be hard to say.

In the resource center here at SSV are tutorials on both inskscape and gimp, and of course googling them will find you even more of the tutorial or how to instructions/videos on the net.

I say go for it.

Thank you Jim :)
I am gonna take a look around for them and will just try 

I don't think any one gets tired of you posts.  I certainly enjoy them and your enthusiasm rubs off on some old guy like me and gets be more excited about the hobby again.   Like Jim states, try what you want.  I would suggest trying the free software first and see if you like it.  I don't really know what the purchased software offers above and beyond the free, maybe some one on here that has Coral Draw or other purchased software will explain, I have often wondered but didn't want to spend the money to find out. 

1 hour ago, Miran said:

Okay, just struggling here a bit with Inkscape. It looks good BUT were in the hell is a tool that can select just an image ?
Or do you just follow the line yourself.

I did manage to do it with the studio program I have so I think gonna do it with that

Mmm, not sure if this will make sense. I click on my image then go up to 'Path' and choose  'Trace Bitmap'  this will give you a copy of your image and then you can colour it and put an outline on it ready for cutting. 

2 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Mmm, not sure if this will make sense. I click on my image then go up to 'Path' and choose  'Trace Bitmap'  this will give you a copy of your image and then you can colour it and put an outline on it ready for cutting. 

Thank you FoxFold, the outcome of doing that was exact what I meant 😘

I posted this on the topic page that Don put up but I guess it won't show up here. So, this is what I wrote: 

Well, I have spent the afternoon trying make CorelDraw do what Steve does. NO CAN DO! I installed the trial version, couldn't make the contour tool work. I chatted with their support person who swore that the trial version wasn't crippled. But, as far as I can see it is. So, next I tried to figure out Inkscape/Dynamic Offset/XML Editor. I don't have a clue how to use any of that. So, I guess I will have to wait for a tutorial that I can follow. DANG!!

7 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I posted this on the topic page that Don put up but I guess it won't show up here. So, this is what I wrote: 

Well, I have spent the afternoon trying make CorelDraw do what Steve does. NO CAN DO! I installed the trial version, couldn't make the contour tool work. I chatted with their support person who swore that the trial version wasn't crippled. But, as far as I can see it is. So, next I tried to figure out Inkscape/Dynamic Offset/XML Editor. I don't have a clue how to use any of that. So, I guess I will have to wait for a tutorial that I can follow. DANG!!

I am a bit further with Inkscape, just have to figure out how to remove the outside lines.

BUT I did it with a total different program I have and that kinda works like Coral Draw so I have made something....I say something hahahaha because now I gonna saw it to see how that will turn out

45 minutes ago, Miran said:

I am a bit further with Inkscape, just have to figure out how to remove the outside lines.

Click on the 'Node Editor' and then click on your image.  It will show all the 'nodes' that make up your image. Right click and drag across the lines you wish to remove.  Drag across the 'top line' and then press 'delete' and repeat with the other lines.

NodeEditor.jpg

55 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Click on the 'Node Editor' and then click on your image.  It will show all the 'nodes' that make up your image. Right click and drag across the lines you wish to remove.  Drag across the 'top line' and then press 'delete' and repeat with the other lines.

NodeEditor.jpg

😘
I now have it with an other program but just to learn Inkscape more I will also make it there :)