First and Last Time

Rockytime

I am probably one of the black sheep but when I got my brand new used scroll saw (craftsman) all I had were spirals. That is what I learned to scroll with. What a chump I never realized they were harder to use but believe it or not I would rather scroll with a spiral any day. Just my preference.

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

I am probably one of the black sheep but when I got my brand new used scroll saw (craftsman) all I had were spirals. That is what I learned to scroll with. What a chump I never realized they were harder to use but believe it or not I would rather scroll with a spiral any day. Just my preference.

Welcome to the dark side. I also taught myself with spiral blades back in the late 80's. Now I'm trying to use flat blades more because so many are bad mouthing spirals and singing the praises of flat blades. I do like the cut of flat blades but I struggle with pivoting them at turns without cutting at the same time. I have to concentrate to stay on the pattern and not overshoot the line. I've decided to add a couple of wrinkles while learning. I am using magnification, although this is the 3rd time I've tried. Had a problem with distortion but have gotten used to it. I'm also top loading with the flats because who doesn't enjoy trying to set the bottom clamp by Braille? I'm really having a good time trying to retrain myself. LOL

I use both flat and spirals. Both have applications that make certain projects easier/better looking imo. Having the different styles avail. is like having Standard and automatic transmissions avail. being able to drive either makes life easier if I have to drive my neighbors truck I can use the automatic otherwise I just use my standard. (he can't drive a stick stalls and grinds every gear) Just my opinion.