You Ever Think About It?

trackman

My wife found this clock in our "goodwill" type store in Winchester, IN.  Priced for only $5.00.  The man that made it put his signature on the back.  Alfred C. Groth is his name living in Leesburg, FL.  So I googled him and found out that he retired an moved to FL from Winchester, IN. but passed away in 2013.   My point to all this is I have though sometimes were would the things I made end up in the future.  There has been a discussion on here about sighing you projects.  I think this shows how important it can be.  I also find that it is odd that a clock he made in FL would end up back in his home town and be hanging in another scroll sawer's shop.  PS he was 92 when he passed and did a very good job making the clock an I am proud to have it hanging in my new shop. 

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

Yes, I agree about the signing of your work.. just for this reason.. I've run across pieces at the goodwill as well and looked up the name on the bottom as you did.. Big reason I sign my work..  Though I know there are pieces of mine scattered about the USA, Italy, UK, Australia, Denmark and Canada.. I'm probably missing a few.. but I know I've shipped stuff to these places.. When I think about it.. I often wonder where they is display the piece at in their homes or office etc.. how many people have seen or talked about it etc.. Also wonder if one day after I'm long gone.. will one of my kids or grand kids will come across something I've made much like this and think.. Hey Dad or Papa made this.. Sort of wish I felt it'd be worth putting the date on my stuff but as I've said before... Hate to sell pieces that have sat here for a few years with a date on it.. I did use a date for a short time.. but stopped after selling a piece 3 years later and wondered about how the customer would feel if they seen it..   

7 hours ago, trackman said:

My wife found this clock in our "goodwill" type store in Winchester, IN.  Priced for only $5.00.  The man that made it put his signature on the back.  Alfred C. Groth is his name living in Leesburg, FL.  So I googled him and found out that he retired an moved to FL from Winchester, IN. but passed away in 2013.   My point to all this is I have though sometimes were would the things I made end up in the future.  There has been a discussion on here about sighing you projects.  I think this shows how important it can be.  I also find that it is odd that a clock he made in FL would end up back in his home town and be hanging in another scroll sawer's shop.  PS he was 92 when he passed and did a very good job making the clock an I am proud to have it hanging in my new shop. 

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

I love this post.