Question about miter saws

Oldmansbike

Not exactly scrollsaw related but I value you guys opinions. I'm looking to purchase a 12 inch sliding miter saw. I have been reading reviews online and they are all pretty good. I'm leaning towards the Hercules from Harbor Freight. It's got great reviews and is supposedly a Dewalt clone. It's on sale now for $350. The Dewalt is $600. Does anyone have experience with Hercules tools or is there another brand I should be looking at? 

It's going to be rough getting any feedback on Hercules as they are so new. But, I've had great luck with H/F power tools. I always bring one home and do a complete check out and over. If anything is out of whack or wrong, back it goes for another one. So far, all I've had to return was a biscuit joiner. It was sloppy loose so I got one that is really tight and it works great. I wish I had room for what you are buying. I'd love to replace my 12" Dewalt compound miter saw for something smaller and lighter weight. I'm thinking about one of the H/F 10" saws.

I have no experience with the Hercules brand from HF.. I have many HF tools, so nothing against HF tools but nothing from that particular brand.. Back in about 2007-8 ish I bought a reconditioned Hitachi miter saw.. Not to steer you away from HF but don't cheap out on a good name brand tool when there deep discounts on refurbished name brand tools.. I've bought a lot of refurbished tools over the years and all of them are still going strong..

Here is a place you might want to look at for some refurbished tools.. 

https://www.cpooutlets.com/reconditioned-miter-saws/reconditioned-miter-saws,default,sc.html

This place below here I've ordered most of my stuff from.. I've had good luck with Hitachi tools.. and all of them have been refurbished.. They sometimes sell DeWalt but mostly Hitachi.. They have different categories if you click on the grade tab on the side of the page.. Couple of the tools i bought from them was a grade C... which is much cheaper.. I've always tried to buy all grade A but the grade C was like new and still working great.. so not sure they really sent me a grade C.. 

https://bigskytool.com/tools/saws/corded-tools-miter-saws.html

Good luck on your research and decision..

I just found a renewed Dewalt on Amazon for $340. I have a regular Hitachi 12 inch saw now and I really like it. I'm trying to sell it on Facebook now. I sold my Craftsman radial arm saw yesterday.it took up to much room and I hardly ever used it. I will check out the sights you gave me Kevin.

I bought a cheapie from Menards years ago.  The fence bowed when it was cast.  If I lay a straight edge all the way across the front, the 2 halves don't line up.  Adjusted the left half square with the blade.  Works fine, since I only saw short pieces.  i.e. Crucifix pieces.  If you buy one in a store, take a square & check it.

jerry

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have no experience with the Hercules brand from HF.. I have many HF tools, so nothing against HF tools but nothing from that particular brand.. Back in about 2007-8 ish I bought a reconditioned Hitachi miter saw.. Not to steer you away from HF but don't cheap out on a good name brand tool when there deep discounts on refurbished name brand tools.. I've bought a lot of refurbished tools over the years and all of them are still going strong..

Here is a place you might want to look at for some refurbished tools.. 

https://www.cpooutlets.com/reconditioned-miter-saws/reconditioned-miter-saws,default,sc.html

This place below here I've ordered most of my stuff from.. I've had good luck with Hitachi tools.. and all of them have been refurbished.. They sometimes sell DeWalt but mostly Hitachi.. They have different categories if you click on the grade tab on the side of the page.. Couple of the tools i bought from them was a grade C... which is much cheaper.. I've always tried to buy all grade A but the grade C was like new and still working great.. so not sure they really sent me a grade C.. 

https://bigskytool.com/tools/saws/corded-tools-miter-saws.html

Good luck on your research and decision..

The reason refurb is often better than brand new is that on a manufacturing line, representative samples of tools are pulled and tested, while every refurb tool gets tested. Like Kevin, I also have picked up a few refurbs, and have been well pleased with all of them.

6 hours ago, jerrye said:

The reason refurb is often better than brand new is that on a manufacturing line, representative samples of tools are pulled and tested, while every refurb tool gets tested. Like Kevin, I also have picked up a few refurbs, and have been well pleased with all of them.

I agree completely. Over the years I bought and wore out many laptops. Other than the first one, that was purchased through my parent tool company with their proprietary software loaded, I bought all others through Toshiba's refurbished program. I never had one problem. Refurbed products have been completely inspected and reconditioned and usually with full warranty. 

I am not a HF fan.  Whatever brand, type or style you get do your self a very big favor and get a quality blade made especially for a miter saw.  Most saws come with poor quality combo blades only good for cutting construction lumber or rough cut lumber.  If you ever want to make picture frames or other precision work you need a better blade.

I'm not a HF fan either, although I realize they are trying to up their game when it comes to tool quality.  The thing about sliding miter saws is that there are a lot of moving parts that require tight tolerances and high build quality to achieve and maintain accuracy.  I have no idea whether or not the HF Hercules is a quality tool or barely good enough for rough carpentry, but I'm not sure a 12" slider is a tool where I'd be looking for a bargain basement beauty..

I wanted to make picture frames and looked at miter saws. I did not want a sliding saw or a 12" saw due to space requirements. The advice I received here was I would be better off with a miter sled for my table saw. That is the rout I took and am glad for it. If I had room I would have a miter saw. Why? Because I don't have one.

Actually, the only time I ever really needed a 12" miter saw was when we installed wide baseboards and 5" crown moldings in our home. Prior to that I had a 10" Makita. One of the first miters ever produced. Now, I have that big heavy 12" saw and it hurts my back to get it out. I think I'm going to sell it. 

I had a delta sliding 12" miter saw that I used when we put new flooring in because the pieces were too wide for my 10" power miter box. After the project, it sat unused for 1 year and I sold it to a guy at work. If I ever get the room for one, I would probably go with the Hercules at H/F. I have looked at is several times. My problem with them is that they just take up so much room.

I used to have a Craftsman Radial Arm saw, but now I am too old and they are too heavy for me to lug down to the basement. Good luck with your buy.