Pegas 21" Scroll Saw or Seyco ST-21 Swing Tilt Scroll Saw/ Which one?

rustynail

I am thinking about selling my 21’’ DeWalt type one scroll saw and up grading to one of these saws only (sorry I am not interested in any others). I am torn as they both get good reviews. I like that the Seyco has the larger table like my DeWalt has but the Pegas has the better blade holders and can tilt more. Currently I don’t specialize in any kind of sawing but I like versatility. I have been doing some marquetry as of late and did use my DeWalt for that but want to do multiple things. For those that have used, seen, or have both or have thoughts on which one please help me decide on which one tilts the scales. I know Steve Goodal has given both great reviews and that just makes it more confusing.

Thanks

Edited by rustynail
DeWalt not Delta

I haven’t used the Pegas Saw. I do have one of the first Seyco saws that came out so have been using it for a while,  I have been very happy with my Seyco. My previous experience before my Seyco was a Dewalt and then a used Excalibur that I had bought from Seyco, the customer service I have had from Seyco with both of the saws was great. You can put the Pegas blade holders on the Seyco or other brands. I have kept the Excalibur along with my Seyco in part because it will give me more tilt should I need it. I confess though I have yet to “need” it for that. I do prefer being able to tilt the blade rather than the table like you have to do on the Dewalt. I have only seen good things on the Pegas Saw so I don’t think you can go wrong with either one of them. You just have to decide which one makes sense to you, for the cost you want to pay and go for it and then, don’t second guess yourself.

Tough decision,,,, only you can make.  I have had an Excalibur and now a Seyco.  I have the Pegas blade clamps,,,,, had them on my Seyco and have changed back to the original clamps..  More people swear by the Pegas clamps so I am very much out voted....  I think I would like the Pegas way of tilting the table better than the Seyco, but I have so far never cut where I need a tilted table.  I plan on doing so, but not beyond what my Seyco can tilt.  I do love the large table of the Seyco.   I love it whole bunch.  But the Seyco is not as pretty as the Pegas..... Oh, my it is a tough decision.  I was lucky, the Pegas saw was not available when I purchased my Seyco.... I really don't know which I would have ended up with.   Good luck....

Yes, we are distributors for Pegas, but I have not had much time to give a good evaluation.  My first saw was a DeWalt 788.  I since purchased an EX21.  Both are still in use and my go to saw is the EX21 with the Pegas clamp upgrade.  As for service, you can't beat Ray at Seyco.  He has been a great help several times.  I don't know if this ramblings helps.

I have no experience with the Seyco machine but I do have an EX21 that was made in Canada prior to the whole China/Taiwan debacle. I love it. I loved it prior to installing the Pegas clamps. Now, I love it even more. I don't see how I could possibly be happier with any saw. The only thing that might be better would be the customer service from Ray at Seyco. He seems to almost walk on water around SSV.

Thanks for all the replies.  First off one reason I was looking at the Pegas saw was of the blade clamps and not having to change them out (hassle and cost)? As far as availability of  parts I believe they are both somewhat the same as they come from the same areas of origin for the basic parts, but the Seyco saw does have some different parts that may be a problem down the road. I did buy a saw from Ray about 25 years ago or longer (it was one of the original Black Excalibur saws that were made in Canada with the none tilting heads ) and I know Rays customer service is a cut above but I am concerned some that if Seyco ever closes its doors  ( Ray’s getting up there in age) will parts be available?

I do like the idea of the larger table but I did want to try cutting some bowels on the scroll saw and I know you need the extra angle on the table to do that.  I guess I am just concerned about how small the front of the table is on the Pegas  as I have never used a saw with that small of a table before and it seems everyone likes the larger table. For those that have used saws with the smaller tables (Jet, Excalibur, King, )are the small front tables a problem?

Edited by rustynail

Just now, rustynail said:

Thanks for all the replies.  First off one reason I was looking at the Pegas saw was of the blade clamps and not having to change them out (hassle and cost)? As far as availability of  parts I believe they are both somewhat the same as they come from the same areas of origin for the basic parts, but the Seyco saw does have some different parts that may be a problem down the road. I did buy a saw from Ray about 25 years ago or longer (it was one of the original Black Excalibur saws that were made in Canada ) and I know Rays customer service is a cut above but I am concerned some that if Seyco ever closes its doors  ( Ray’s getting up there in age) will parts be available?

I do like the idea of the larger table but I did want to try cutting some bowels on the scroll saw and I know you need the extra angle on the table to do that.  I guess I am just concerned about how small the front of the table is on the Pegas  as I have never used a saw with that small of a table before and it seems everyone likes the larger table. For those that have used saws with the smaller tables (Jet, Excalibur, King, )are the small front tables a problem?

Well, to answer your question, so far, I have not found that the small table is a problem. That's for me. I don't do large cuttings so that may be a problem if you do. So on here have managed to add a sub table to their saws. I don't have any intentions of doing that at this time. Also, I have a 26" Hawk if I need a bigger table. But up to this point, my EX has fulfilled my every need.

58 minutes ago, rustynail said:

Thanks for all the replies.  First off one reason I was looking at the Pegas saw was of the blade clamps and not having to change them out (hassle and cost)? As far as availability of  parts I believe they are both somewhat the same as they come from the same areas of origin for the basic parts, but the Seyco saw does have some different parts that may be a problem down the road. I did buy a saw from Ray about 25 years ago or longer (it was one of the original Black Excalibur saws that were made in Canada with the none tilting heads ) and I know Rays customer service is a cut above but I am concerned some that if Seyco ever closes its doors  ( Ray’s getting up there in age) will parts be available?

I don't typically cut very large stuff either... usually 14-16" is about the largest I do and that's a rare occasion..

My issues with the table have not been the size of the table.. but more about the short distance from the blade to the front edge of the table..  I don't remember exact measurements off the top of my head right not but it's something like only 4 inch from the front edge of the table to the blade.. The Hawk has around 5.5" or 6" and the Dewalts have something like 8" Anyhow whatever the distance is.. Cutting large pieces at times when spinning the board around you may have 12" off the end of the table and into your gut.. I'm a skinny guy but I still have that issue.. not to mention you have 12" hanging off the table and only 4" on the table.. It took me a long time getting used to that..especially coming from running 10+ years on a DeWalt with so much more space.. As I said I don't do many larger stuff.. most my cutting on the EX is 10" or smaller..  anything large I typically just cut it on my Hawks..   

Edit to add: The Seyco saw was advertised as having a large area in front of the blade.. I don't remember how much space it was.. but it was up there with the DeWalt or better if I remember correctly.. A fix could be to add a slip on table for the larger projects.. I don't have that "NEED" since I have two 26" Hawks and a 20" Hawk as well.. so I'm not fussing with making a table for larger projects..

Edited by kmmcrafts

I am also not  talking about  the size of the table.. but about the short distance from the blade to the front edge of the table.. In review the Seyco states about 8'' and the Pegas states 4 1/4'' , Scrappile states 7.5 inches. and he has one so lets say its about 1/2 the amount . I did measure my Dewalt and it is 8'' front to back as well.

Without actually going out to my shop and checking, an idea pops into my head. There are only 4 countersunk holes in the table of the EX/Pegas and a hole for the blade to go through. If it is such a big deal, why not just re-drill the holes and move the table toward you and relocate it? Not a big job I would think.

I have the EX21 and the Seyco saw. I love the larger table on the Seyco. I put pegas blade clamps on it and love those as well. I do not like the tilting mechanism on the Seyco at all. It is not gear driven as with the EX or the Pegas. My Seyco is really stiff and difficult to tilt. It comes with a digital gauge to attach to the upper arm so you can return to previous settings. But you have to calibrate it and I have not taken time to do so as I don't tilt that much. The Seyco is a great saw, that being said if you go with pegas saw which I probably would now ( I am like Srappile the pegas was not available when I purchased the Seyco ) I would just purchase a sheet of Masonite and enlarge the table. Basically all you are doing is adding a few inches to the front and a couple to the side. If you need the dimensions of the Seyco table we can supply you with them. Just use double sided tape to attach. Works great. Good Luck on your decision.

grizz. 

I saw that and it does not seem much of an explanation ..... I think hanging like it does is good with less stress on the saw front but I think the rack and pinion knob would be easyer to use. I know Steve Goodal from the Scrollsaw Workshop made a wood gear that he posted on his forum for the saw. not sure how well it works but here it is in his video.

3 hours ago, rustynail said:

Ray , that sounds like an interesting Idea, I think that would  be a good solution . I like your thinking, The only thing in my mind would be if it had ribs under the table and if they would line up?

As far as I recall, the EX table is just flat steel. No ribs. Should be easy.

I have cut large pieces on the Ex21 and have not found the small table overhang a problem. No matter what amount of overhang there is, the piece you are cutting will determine how far away from the blade you are. I can understand wanting a larger table, all around, if you are cutting large piece out of 3mm ply that is very delicate (like Charlie Deering does). I think in that case you'd want a larger table then any of the off the shelf saws.

I don't seem to have as much issue with the short table as I did when I first started using the EX.. But boy at first I felt like the blade was right in my lap after using the DeWalt so many years.. Not so bothersome now..  but do wish they'd redeign the table a little.. Speaking on the tables.. I think the newest Jet saw has more table in front of the blade.. The new one is the 18" saw.. It's not a lot more but it is more than the 22" Jet.. They have them side by side at my local store and I noticed that right off the bat... I wonder if they also fixed the distance of the table height so the reverse teeth are usable now.. LOL 

I had a DeWalt for several years.  I sold it and bought an EX-21 a few years ago.  I can't say I even noticed the shorter distance between the front of the table and the blade.  I knew it was like that, of course, but it has not been a hinderance at all, to me.  Admittedly, I am strictly a hobbiest user and like to make a variety of things, but I rarely am swinging large sheets of material around on the saw.  Perhaps if I were, I would think differently.

I really like the rack & pinion angle adjustment on the EX.  It's so much easier to use than my DeWalt was. 

Each of us have characteristics that we prefer in a saw.  Depending on what you do, how you work and what you've become accustomed to, your preferences will be different or take a different priority.  Now let's talk about blades....😆