Road Trip - excited!

barb.j.enders

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I just bought one of these. It appears to be the exact same unit as pictured here. For that price, $58.79 + tax, free shipping, I thought I'd take a flyer. They have a few left if anybody else wants one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MetroVac-VM4B500T-Vac-N-Go-500-Watt-Hi-Performance-Hand-Vac-with-Rotating-Brush/392312907529?epid=114740285&hash=item5b57abe709:g:eb8AAOSwDUJdASaV:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!92649!US!-1

I figure I can come up with some sort of homemade cyclone collector. 

I only wish the prices here were decent.  Ended up, with exchange, costing $290 Canadian.  Original invoice was $210.

41 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

I thought the 5 gallon would be way to much volume for the amount of cutting.  I was looking  for something smaller.  Also saw all kinds of YouTube videos.  Knowing me, on some things I would just rather buy than reinvent!

That is what I'm sort of thinking too.. By the time I chase down the vac, hoses, dust separator, fittings, nozzle etc etc etc.. for me I'd have as much $$ in fuel and research to buy the one already to mount up and plug in.. I do think the canister is a bit small for my cutting but who cares if I have to empty it daily.. I vacuum the saw and floor every day when i'm done anyway.. Then again.. having it all self contained to my saw is nice too.. could just throw the saw in the car and have the whole dust collection ready to go when I go camping.. LOL 

29 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

That is what I'm sort of thinking too.. By the time I chase down the vac, hoses, dust separator, fittings, nozzle etc etc etc.. for me I'd have as much $$ in fuel and research to buy the one already to mount up and plug in.. I do think the canister is a bit small for my cutting but who cares if I have to empty it daily.. I vacuum the saw and floor every day when i'm done anyway.. Then again.. having it all self contained to my saw is nice too.. could just throw the saw in the car and have the whole dust collection ready to go when I go camping.. LOL 

I had already ordered the Seyco before reading octoolguy's post. I was tempted to cancel but thought $80 for the vac, maybe $20 for a cyclone work around, $10-$20 in tubing and $15-$20 for the switch for auto run, it amounts to $60 or so to be lazy. Although I was tempted to buy the Scrollnado,  I  have lots of leftover tubing, elbows and even some valves to control the upper dust collection portion, left from my drip irrigration system. Should be setup by the end of the week, Texas isn't that far from me. 

On the down side, octoolguy will have the all of the attachments for using his unit in his car.

Edited by Wilson142
a thought

11 minutes ago, Wilson142 said:

I had already ordered the Seyco before reading octoolguy's post. I was tempted to cancel but thought $80 for the vac, maybe $20 for a cyclone work around, $10-$20 in tubing and $15-$20 for the switch for auto run, it amounts to $60 or so to be lazy. Although I was tempted to buy the Scrollnado,  I  have lots of leftover tubing, elbows and even some valves to control the upper dust collection portion, left from my drip irrigration system. Should be setup by the end of the week, Texas isn't that far from me. 

On the down side, octoolguy will have the all of the attachments for using his unit in his car.

I bought it mostly out of curiosity to see what kind of power it has. As for a switch, I'll just put a triple outlet on my foot switch that will trigger both the saw & the vac at the same time. And if it turns out to not be the do all end all, I'll just sell it on c/l. I might try my hand at making a cyclone out of a 3 lb. coffee can. No matter what, I'll be smarter when I'm done than I am now. Lol.

2 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I bought it mostly out of curiosity to see what kind of power it has. As for a switch, I'll just put a triple outlet on my foot switch that will trigger both the saw & the vac at the same time. And if it turns out to not be the do all end all, I'll just sell it on c/l. I might try my hand at making a cyclone out of a 3 lb. coffee can. No matter what, I'll be smarter when I'm done than I am now. Lol.

My step dad always told to never forget that no matter how smart I get, there will always be a lot more that I don't know, than I do know.

9 hours ago, octoolguy said:

He was right.

Yeah, my family was full of old wisdoms(?)  My dad would say "listen to your elders, you may learn something"  Then my mother would add "Just remember, Mike. There's a reason for the old saying "there's no fool like an old fool".  I spent a lot of my youth looking off into the distance wondering "What????"

3 hours ago, Wilson142 said:

Yeah, my family was full of old wisdoms(?)  My dad would say "listen to your elders, you may learn something"  Then my mother would add "Just remember, Mike. There's a reason for the old saying "there's no fool like an old fool".  I spent a lot of my youth looking off into the distance wondering "What????"

The older I got, the smarter my parents were. I miss them and their wisdom dearly.

2 minutes ago, Wilson142 said:

Yeah. I lost my mother just after New Years. She was 100 and 2 months old. Still pretty good mentally but the body lets down eventually.

Sorry for your loss. My Mom had a massive stroke in 2003 at age 81. She spend almost 2 years in a nursing home. Not how I want to end up for sure.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:48 PM, octoolguy said:

I just bought one of these. It appears to be the exact same unit as pictured here. For that price, $58.79 + tax, free shipping, I thought I'd take a flyer. They have a few left if anybody else wants one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MetroVac-VM4B500T-Vac-N-Go-500-Watt-Hi-Performance-Hand-Vac-with-Rotating-Brush/392312907529?epid=114740285&hash=item5b57abe709:g:eb8AAOSwDUJdASaV:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!92649!US!-1

I figure I can come up with some sort of homemade cyclone collector. 

The vac I ordered for $58 just arrived. It's a really cute little thing.

20200301_145334.jpg