Road Trip - excited!

barb.j.enders

Off for a quick road trip today to pick up my new dust collection system.  After much thought & research and discussion here I have bought the Seyco system, https://www.seyco.com/dv-10a-cyclonic-action-scroll-saw-dust-collector/.  Had it shipped to the nearest border town.  Heading there after breakfast.  Should have time to get it hooked up today as well.!!!

At home now!  Wind was horrible - big cross wind, blowing snow across the highway.  Customs guy assumed I was picking it up for my husband, a little tongue tied when I said no it was for me!!  At first glance, it looks great, however I guess I thought there was a hose that also collected dust from the top. The vacuum is very quiet compared to the shop vac.  I will in the future try to work on something to muffle it even more.  We'll see how it works with my DeWalt.  Heading down to get it all set up now!

Well, the first cuts seem to be okay.  It definitely does work! Reasonably quiet as well, just had to turn the music up a little louder!! (Yes, I wear hearing protection as well). Modifications will have to be made.  The bracket for holding the cyclonic dust separator doesn't work with the DeWalt stand. It is sitting on the floor right now.  The vacuum is sitting on the table beside my saw.  Will look into getting a fire extinguisher holder for it (hubby's idea).  Will also have to modify how the hose is held under the table.  Will post pictures tomorrow.

Edited by barb.j.enders
Correct spelling

I just bought one of these. It appears to be the exact same unit as pictured here. For that price, $58.79 + tax, free shipping, I thought I'd take a flyer. They have a few left if anybody else wants one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MetroVac-VM4B500T-Vac-N-Go-500-Watt-Hi-Performance-Hand-Vac-with-Rotating-Brush/392312907529?epid=114740285&hash=item5b57abe709:g:eb8AAOSwDUJdASaV:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!92649!US!-1

I figure I can come up with some sort of homemade cyclone collector. 

22 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I just bought one of these. It appears to be the exact same unit as pictured here. For that price, $58.79 + tax, free shipping, I thought I'd take a flyer. They have a few left if anybody else wants one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MetroVac-VM4B500T-Vac-N-Go-500-Watt-Hi-Performance-Hand-Vac-with-Rotating-Brush/392312907529?epid=114740285&hash=item5b57abe709:g:eb8AAOSwDUJdASaV:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!92649!US!-1

I figure I can come up with some sort of homemade cyclone collector. 

home made cyclone collectors are all over utube

I hope you have a db meter app on your phone I am really curious about the noise level

3 minutes ago, JimErn said:

home made cyclone collectors are all over youtube

I hope you have a db meter app on your phone I am really curious about the noise level

I do have an app Jim. I'm curious too. It's the exact same vac as what Seyco is selling, minus the cyclone and hose. I now have 3 saws and the plumbing is getting to be a nightmare so if this works, it will be great.

Seems like that little jar would fill up a couple times a day? Doesn't appear to be very large.. On a good cutting day I could fill up over a quart jar of sawdust.. Not that daily emptying would be a hassle.. But I'd think one of those dust separators with the 5 gallon bucket would be more practical for me anyway..

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Seems like that little jar would fill up a couple times a day? Doesn't appear to be very large.. On a good cutting day I could fill up over a quart jar of sawdust.. Not that daily emptying would be a hassle.. But I'd think one of those dust separators with the 5 gallon bucket would be more practical for me anyway..

Kevin, you'd have to be cutting 24/7 to generate that much sawdust. It would be very interesting to see just how long it would take you to fill up a quart jar with just your scroll saws. I realize you have a whole stable of them but you are still just one person unless you are SuperScroller and haven't told us yet.

3 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, you'd have to be cutting 24/7 to generate that much sawdust. It would be very interesting to see just how long it would take you to fill up a quart jar with just your scroll saws. I realize you have a whole stable of them but you are still just one person unless you are SuperScroller and haven't told us yet.

I've never measured the sawdust.. but on my Hawk Ultra the blade is back behind the angle adjustment.. on a warmer weather good shop working day.. I'll have the sawdust pile back there so high I have to move the peak of the pile down to change the blades as the sawdust is hitting the lower arm.. I'd be surprised if that isn't at least a pint jar full..  But it might not be.. you know when a car leaks a few drops of oil the stuff spreads and looks like a quart of oil on the ground, LOL so maybe it's not as much as I think it is.. 

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I thought the 5 gallon would be way to much volume for the amount of cutting.  I was looking  for something smaller.  Also saw all kinds of YouTube videos.  Knowing me, on some things I would just rather buy than reinvent!