Dust Collection Again

Rockytime

4 hours ago, Crosstimbers said:

I'm looking at doing my own set up too.  The same vac that is included in the Seyco set up is 94.99 on Amazon, haven't searched Ebay yet.  With that price, plus the cost of the extra hose and cyclone, I think I can save about $40.  If I can use some old CPAP hoses for both under and over the table, I can save even more.

I bought my saw from Ray and I want to support his business, but I need to save money when possible.

My main concern with a vac that small is how well it will hold up to long hours of use.  But even a larger vac can burn out.

I have bought 2 MetroVacs on eBay and got one for under $50 plus tax and free shipping. When I set mine up I'm going to use a double outlet on my foot switch to activate both saw and vac so it doesn't run constantly.

Thanks Ray, I've got an adapter for my foot switch that should work.  I just ordered a vac on Ebay that should be here next Friday.  And I've got the little cyclone in my cart on Amazon.  Now I'm trying to find a canister the right size, I probably have one hiding around here somewhere.  The CPAP hoses won't cost me anything.  Looking forward to getting it set up.

Note on the cyclone:  Amazon still has the aluminum version.  Search for "cyclone separators" and it should be on one of the last pages in the search results.  If I remember correctly, there are two sellers that have them.  They were a little over $30 but I'm getting the plastic one instead.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I have bought 2 MetroVacs on eBay and got one for under $50 plus tax and free shipping. When I set mine up I'm going to use a double outlet on my foot switch to activate both saw and vac so it doesn't run constantly.

Mine came with the outlet, works well! I may change my upper pickup nozzle from round to something closer to the pickup on the bottom. That one is like a flattened oval.

5 hours ago, Crosstimbers said:

I'm looking at doing my own set up too.  The same vac that is included in the Seyco set up is 94.99 on Amazon, haven't searched Ebay yet.  With that price, plus the cost of the extra hose and cyclone, I think I can save about $40.  If I can use some old CPAP hoses for both under and over the table, I can save even more.

I bought my saw from Ray and I want to support his business, but I need to save money when possible.

My main concern with a vac that small is how well it will hold up to long hours of use.  But even a larger vac can burn out.

I cut mostly fretwork and I check the vac occasionally to see if it gets hot. Doesn't seem to be a problem.  I don't know if the constant on and off will take it's toll. I think it came with a 2 yr warranty but even at $100, if I get a year out of it, it's worth $8.33 per month to me with how well it catches the fine dust.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:18 PM, octoolguy said:

@Foxfold @Wilson142 here ya go. 3 pics. Not sure what order they will post in but in one pic you can see the convex end on the vac and the concave end of the OJ bottle. The next pic shows how well they mate together. I haven't hot-glued them yet. The 3rd pic is just to show that the bottle has the cap off of it. I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the bottom end of the bottle that matches the exhaust on the vac. Once I get everything figured out as to mounting etc. I'll glue them together and maybe shorten the neck on the bottle. I was blown away at how quiet it is with the bottle up against the vac without any seal so it will be even better once I hot-glue it together. The MicroVac is only 4" in diameter so it will fit up under my stand and not even be seen. 

20200416_160244.jpg

Got around to setting mine up. I didn't superglue it because it extends too far into my doorway, so I used velcro instead. I also stuffed the bottle loosely with #0000 steel wool to further baffle the sound. I cut for 2 hrs today and no heat problems and a good reduction in sound. If they ever open our pool again I'm gonna steal one of those foam noodles the ladies use for whatever voodoo exercise spells they weave up there. May work better than the steel wool and besides, I use that stuff for other things.

4 minutes ago, Wilson142 said:

Got around to setting mine up. I didn't superglue it because it extends too far into my doorway, so I used velcro instead. I also stuffed the bottle loosely with #0000 steel wool to further baffle the sound. I cut for 2 hrs today and no heat problems and a good reduction in sound. If they ever open our pool again I'm gonna steal one of those foam noodles the ladies use for whatever voodoo exercise spells they weave up there. May work better than the steel wool and besides, I use that stuff for other things.

I'm happy to hear that you had no overheating problem. That's the one thing that bothered me as there is some hot air coming out the back of the vac. Maybe I'll follow your lead with the velcro so it can be removed if necessary. Did you leave the bottle the size it was or shorten it? I was thinking of taking about 3 inches off the neck just to give me more room for the plumbing. Also, did you hook it up to your foot switch or turn it on and leave it run? I'm going to set mine up so that it runs with the saw.

Edited by octoolguy

7 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I'm happy to hear that you had no overheating problem. That's the one thing that bothered me as there is some hot air coming out the back of the vac. Maybe I'll follow your lead with the velcro so it can be removed if necessary. Did you leave the bottle the size it was or shorten it? I was thinking of taking about 3 inches off the neck just to give me more room for the plumbing. Also, did you hook it up to your foot switch or turn it on and leave it run? I'm going to set mine up so that it runs with the saw.

I left the bottle as is and it's set up so the vac only runs when the saw is on. I also have my shop vac setup with a remote on/off switch so I don't have to bend over to turn it on. lol Actually my shop vac is in a closet next to my saw with an Amazon hose extension running through the wall. I listen to a lot of Blues while cutting and don't appreciate the extra noise.

33 minutes ago, Wilson142 said:

I left the bottle as is and it's set up so the vac only runs when the saw is on. I also have my shop vac setup with a remote on/off switch so I don't have to bend over to turn it on. lol Actually my shop vac is in a closet next to my saw with an Amazon hose extension running through the wall. I listen to a lot of Blues while cutting and don't appreciate the extra noise.

My hearing is bad enough now that I can't listen to much of anything without some sort of headphone/amplification. We listen to TV using two sets of TV Ears. We can each control our own volume. By the time I put on my dust mask, my glasses, my hat and my over-the-ears hearing aids, there is not much room left for any other stuff. My one gripe about my dust mask/respirator is that nobody has ever incorporated a straw/tube for drinking through. In order to sip coffee or water or my favorite beverage, I have to go through the whole riggamorole of taking everything off and putting it back on. PITA!

On 4/21/2020 at 5:52 PM, octoolguy said:

My one gripe about my dust mask/respirator is that nobody has ever incorporated a straw/tube for drinking through. In order to sip coffee or water or my favorite beverage, I have to go through the whole riggamorole of taking everything off and putting it back on. PITA!

I have a 3M respirator (don't remember the model number) that has a latch on the front that allows the mask to drop down so you can talk to someone or take a drink without taking off the mask. I really like it, super easy to use. I'll try to get a picture of me wearing it, (have to wait until someone is here to take the picture).

1 minute ago, Crosstimbers said:

I have a 3M respirator (don't remember the model number) that has a latch on the front that allows the mask to drop down so you can talk to someone or take a drink without taking off the mask. I really like it, super easy to use. I'll try to get a picture of me wearing it, (have to wait until someone is here to take the picture).

Yes, by all means. I'd love to see what it looks like. I've been tempted to poke a hole in mine and put a plastic tube through it. Just to sip some water once in a while.

1 hour ago, Crosstimbers said:

If you have a smart phone, you can take a selfie! 

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, preprius said:

sorry to bring up old topic. But having a full beard the suggestions on web say have a positive air pressure mask.  This raises cost from $35 to $400. 

What do the members with full beards use?

I don't have a full beard anymore but I still have what I think is called a Van Dyke. I use a mask just like the one above. I've never given any thought as to how well it seals to my face. I do know that with the Winn air cleaner, a box fan/furnace filter/dust control system on my saw, I have very little dust to worry about.