Ciao from Angelo

Angelo

Hi to everybody

My name Is Angelo I live in Stockton , CA but I am Italian.

I would like to introduce myself, I am 63 and It's ten years that I live in the states and recently , about 6 months , I started to get interested in scrolling .

I have a scroll saw but I am not really good compared to what I have seen in this forum.

I guess I will use your help.

Ciao

Angelo

On 5/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, Angelo said:

Hi to everybody

My name Is Angelo I live in Stockton , CA but I am Italian.

I would like to introduce myself, I am 63 and It's ten years that I live in the states and recently , about 6 months , I started to get interested in scrolling .

I have a scroll saw but I am not really good compared to what I have seen in this forum.

I guess I will use your help.

Ciao

Angelo

The first Italian here that I know of! Welcome friend and keep coming back as there's a ton of needed info given freely everyday here!! Lol, I used to be 63,lol.Click on the bottom of each page to go back in time and see what was talked about back then all the way to the beginning of ''SCROLLSAWVILLAGE'' Welcome again!!!

Welcome Angelo.  I got you beat in age but not by much.  I live in Colorado and have been scrolling for about 20+ yrs.  It is a wonderful hobby and it's great to challenge yourself everytime you pick out a new pattern.  There are lots of great patterns that you can find from different artists.   Have fun !!!

Janie   (woodpecker)

Thank you very much for your welcome.

I'm sorry to disturb you all already but I tried to search in the forum without much success.
I am looking for information / advice about the fact that sometimes I like to use 3/4 to 1 "thick wood but every time it is a problem. I know this type of thickness is not ideal but it is really a problem I tried different blades and "speeds" but every time time it's a struggle.

Thank you in advance.

Ciao

Angelo

Welcome to the forum, Angelo,
I cut 3/4" quite often and the type of wood really makes a huge difference.
Number 5 blades are my choice for almost everything from 1/8" to 3/4" but,
I am usually cutting Baltic Birch Plywood or Pine. The Baltic Birch will definitely
Dull or break blades more quickly than the pine.
Have you tried using skip tooth blades instead of reverse tooth blades in the thick wood?
Skip tooth blades will give the blade more time to clear out the kerf (remove the saw-dust from the cut).
If you are not cutting a lot of sharp angles you could try using a number 7 blade instead of the number 5.
It is important to let the blade do the cutting and do NOT force the wood into the blade too quickly or too
hard into the blade.

Please show us some of your work when you can. We love pictures! 
I don't post photos very often but, I did post some today. You can see some of my work in the post from Spirithorse today.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Hi everybody,

sorry but during the day I can't use my phone at work so ..here we are..

Thank you again  for all your welcome and suggestions.

Spirithorse: yes, I used 5 skip tooth blades , 7 reverse and I tried also 13 and I know that It is important to let the blade do the cutting but if I don't force a little bit  the wood into the blade..'''there is no way to get the job done.''.... Usually I work with pine. I tried also different speeds but without big results.

Rockytime: I completely agree with you, I  guess , like you said, the problem is the saw. I have a WEN 3921 so like we say in Italy ...my trip began uphill...but of course I didn't know that six month ago and even if they say in the manual to stay under 1" thickness I guess they meant ...max 1/4" , BTW the light on the saw is already gone, I am waiting for a replacement. Like many other I followed the reviews on the web and ..the budget...

For this reason I started this "conversation' because I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong so given there is this forum that is really well done and full of useful information I decided to take advantage of your many years of experience instead of continuing to be "frustrated".

Thank you again

Ciao

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to The Village. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people here who are always willing to help one  another. I am a little curious about what it is that you are scrolling that has you using such thick wood. What kind of things are you cutting? I little curious, as I almost never use wood thicker then 1/2 inch. 

Glad you found us here and I hope you log on often so we all can get to know you better

Dick

heppnerguy