The one that almost had me quitting scrolling

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, Kepy said:

I know your feeling very well.  I finally finished a piece that I swore that I would finish before I died but decided that wasn't the end.  Scrolling has what has kept me going.

Scrolling really does give a person comfort and rewards. I do enjoy it a lot and will keep on doing it as long as I can. I really over reacted on this one but I wanted it to be perfect and I being a mediocre scroller, do have my limitations that I need to examine when I try a challenging piece. 

Dick

heppnerguy

5 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

I know the frustrations I had are really not very important, compared to all you are going through and are just a disappointment of myself. Thank you for your prayers and we pray for both of you also. you are correct about Bernd. He is a very giving and wonderful person, just like you. I did not mean to get so much caring thoughts come my way, as I am not trying to find comfort from this, as it is my own silliness coming through, I guess. But I just needed to get if off my chest. I do not suffer from depression but rather frustration brought on to myself by disappointment in myself. I think I choose the incorrect wording in my post. Thank  you for your blessing and I cherish all the concerns and blessings I received from this wonderful family in The Village. We are all as one here.

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks for the reply, @heppnerguy,

I was pretty sure you were more frustrated than depressed but, hearing your confirmation makes me feel better in that sense.
I think you are far more than a mediocre scroller but, sometimes we are our own worst critics.

Thanks for the continued prayers and God Bless! Spirithorse

Dick, we all have our challenges with scrolling and in life - glad you were able to persevere and find yourself happy again on the saw.  You do beautiful work and projects I would never attempt so do not sell yourself short.  I always enjoy seeing what you have done.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:23 AM, Fedido said:

Glad your feeling better. I have been there myself and understand the struggle. Just glad you didn’t give into that monster. 

Me  too.. I know that frustrations can knock one down. I wanted so much to have the perfect piece to give my neighbor, when I found I was not able to achieve that, I was really feeling upset with myself. Fortunately for me, Bernd, being the understanding and great person he is, went the extra mile and made sure I was able to give my neighbor the perfect plaque. My neighbor was so full of gratitude that it made me feel so good inside and also very pleased with how everything turned out. Thank you for your understanding and taking the time to encourage me too. 

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 months later...

HI

Never give up quality comes with practice. I have done a lot on my scroll saw and have had to scrape a few projects due to bad cuts or breakages. These most likely happen right near the end of the project as things start to get weak. I have learnt from these errors and am improving all the time.

Most important thing with any hobby is you need to enjoy what your doing. I find having more than one project on the go helps as you can switch to something else if you start to get bored of the one your currently on.

Dick I am so sorry you have been going through a hard time but glad that you seem to be through it now. It would be a shame to lose your input & knowledge on this forum . You helped me a lot when I first started out & i really appreciated your help. You are a good man Dike & I for one am proud to know you.

I understand all about what you've experienced...

But perfection is an unachievable goal-especially when doing something by hand. If you want the closest to perfect that is possible, then I would suggest cutting with CNC.

There is another facet to this which many if not most of us don't recognize. In every case where I have given someone something that I made for them, it wasn't the quality of work that touched them. It was the personal touch that comes only from the hand of another human. In fact, unless my mistakes are glaring, they could only see mistakes that I pointed out to them.

My wife is a perfectionist, so I am all too familiar with that drive for 110% in everything. Her disabilities, along with life experience, have helped her learn that what matters in handcrafting is not mistake-free work, but putting your heart into whatever you make for someone else.

Goodonya for sticking it out and continuing in your scrolling!

Edited by jerrye