Why the Dremel 16" scroll saw is bad ( or possibly perfect ) for beginners

JustSomeOldDude

I bought a Dremel 20 plus some years ago ran smooth, but continual switch, problems dust would get into the switch, air/ dust blower was weak so I added a fish tank air pump to assist, blades kept slipping out of the clamps until I made a tool to assist in tightening them. Once these frustrating problems were overcome it was a great tool for outside cuts but patterns with interior cuts became a pain as one has to reach to the back to tension the blade  each time and the arm could not be raised so threading the blade through holes became tedious. It has taken up space in the shop for about 8 years now .    

4 hours ago, Norm Fengstad said:

I bought a Dremel 20 plus some years ago ran smooth, but continual switch, problems dust would get into the switch, air/ dust blower was weak so I added a fish tank air pump to assist, blades kept slipping out of the clamps until I made a tool to assist in tightening them. Once these frustrating problems were overcome it was a great tool for outside cuts but patterns with interior cuts became a pain as one has to reach to the back to tension the blade  each time and the arm could not be raised so threading the blade through holes became tedious. It has taken up space in the shop for about 8 years now .    

Oh the years I,ve spend and enjoyed on saws with the blade tension in the back!!!

Edited by amazingkevin
Spelling

They are a decent entree level saw but they don't hold up well to production work.. I had one of the newer models than this one.. ( Model 1800 with the disc sander on the one side )   and the arm at the back of the saw inside the case that connects to the lower and upper arms ( linkage rod ) was nothing but a flat piece of steel with a roll pin holding it together rather than a bearing in there.. I had to change that piece 4 times in one year.. The part was cheap like $15 or so but I got to a point where I just started making my own, LOL..  Was a awesome saw and I probably could have redesigned that rod with bearings.. but at that point I just went with a DeWalt instead..

I started off with a Dremel 57-2.  The on-switch was on the side, behind the sander attachment and motor.  So I had to reach under the project, around a shaft sticking out of the base (which would spin when powered on), and around the motor.  Great little saw, otherwise, for how old it was and what its capabilities were.  I learned a LOT about scrolling with that lil' guy (still have it, too!).

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

They are a decent entree level saw but they don't hold up well to production work.. I had one of the newer models than this one.. ( Model 1800 with the disc sander on the one side )   and the arm at the back of the saw inside the case that connects to the lower and upper arms ( linkage rod ) was nothing but a flat piece of steel with a roll pin holding it together rather than a bearing in there.. I had to change that piece 4 times in one year.. The part was cheap like $15 or so but I got to a point where I just started making my own, LOL..  Was a awesome saw and I probably could have redesigned that rod with bearings.. but at that point I just went with a DeWalt instead..

What was the first sign that you noticed that indicated the part needed to be replaced?

30 minutes ago, JustSomeOldDude said:

What was the first sign that you noticed that indicated the part needed to be replaced?

I had thought the blades was getting longer, LOL but it turned out that the sloppy worn linkage was letting the arms drop down more and more.. At first just some slight wear you just adjust the tension but as it wears more and more the more and more often you end up having to adjust the tension.. pretty soon you run out of adjustment...

I am wondering if this could be a design flaw on your saw that allows that much space to get your thumb in there or is that rod worn and it's letting the upper arm sag down... Kinda what happen to mine.. the arm kept dropping down lower and lower.. then it was like the 5" blades wouldn't fit in between the arms.. I at first thought I got a bad batch of blades.. so I started cutting 1/8 inch off of them.. then 1/4" etc.. 

I don't know if your saw has that same style linkage rod as mine did or not.. as my saw was a different model..