Intro from California

Mr_Measure_Twice

Hello fellow Scroll saw Villagers!

I'm Jim from California, reintroducing myself to scroll sawing after 40 years (high school) with a Jet JSS-26 26" 2-speed scroll saw.

I've been woodworking since my dad let me cut a 2x4 with his ALL METAL Black & Decker circular saw at the young age of 7 (with a little help). I was already hooked just by watching the things he and his handyman friend Orville could do in a weekend.

Anyway, I took woodshop from 7th grade through 12th grade and even a year in Junior College before I went into the Navy. I continued woodworking even in the Navy since my home port had a huge woodshop and a huge metal shop too. When not on deployment, I usually got 5 hours or more a week at the 'shop' - both wood and metal shops.

After 8 years, I left the Navy, but the sawdust continued to flow through my veins and I quickly tooled up the garage with the essentials - table saw, miter saw, circular saw and a variety of accessories.

Fast forward 28 years from leaving the Navy and I am still at it, playing with sawdust. And, I recently acquired a few more machines and tools this past weekend, including the aforementioned Jet JSS-26 26" 2-speed scroll saw. Oh, you want to know what else I got, huh? I picked up a 100% complete Walker-Turner 6" jointer (pre-Kearney & Trecker), a Porter-Cable dovetail jig system, an oxy-acetylene torch set with tanks and a nice carry cart + 3 sets of regulators and 3 torches, and a few other doo-dads and thingie-ma-bobs (clamps mostly).

But, what I am here for is welding advice...

JUST KIDDING... I'm here to reacquaint myself with scroll sawing and to find other owners of the Jet JSS-26 26" 2-speed scroll saw.

OK, that's probably more than you bargained for, huh? :-)

Photos of the scroll saw are attached - it runs perfectly, cuts very nice, and it came with a custom made stand from the previous owner. Sadly, the guy did not have the manual for it any longer, so I am looking for that as well as a source for parts, just in case I ever need a part, maybe like the bellows to blow the dust aside??? :-)

OK, that's it ----- for now.

~Jim

scroll-saw-jet-JSS-26_20201003_195635.jpg

scroll-saw-jet-JSS-26_20201003_195642.jpg

Hello Jim,Welcome friend!! Well you talk the talk and walk the walk you are now a full fledged member of SSV!!! Your going to have a great time conversing with Scrollers from around the world here! Thanks for the shop pictures. We love pictures. And say that c- arm saw you have is a workhorse and should last a life time.great saw. Well just don,t be a stranger ever , everybody's comments are needed and welcomed.hope you become a regular,welcome again!!!

Edited by amazingkevin
Spelling

Welcome from the East Coast of Central florida. 

I did a lot of woodworking when I lived in NC in my dedicated 24X30 Woodworking shop with all the major equipment.  When I moved to Florida Had to give it all up.  However,  i'm able to  make sawdust again, even if it is only a dustpan at a time,  in my mini workshop with very limited equipment.

Great people here in the Village with a wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share.  

Looking forward to see your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Village Jim. I'm in Huntington Beach, Ca. so we might be neighbors. I too had a full shop at one time but now I'm in a 9 x 13 storage room in our mobile home park. Just big enough for me to get myself in trouble from time to time. As for your manual, there are many manuals available right here on SSV but if not, do a google search for yours online. They are out there in PDF format and so far, I've found every manual I've searched for. Best of luck and be sure to show us your stuff. We all love pics.

Welcome to the village! I see you also have a king kong miter saw in Dewalt. I love mine. Chews up wood, logs and maybe small children. Glad your getting back to scrolling. I started about a year ago and it has been amazing! Ask away with questions. I am sure I dont know the answer, but someone here will.