Hawk dust collection

Brokentone

Goat I have a Festool CT MIDI, I believe all of the Festool and Fein vacuums are setup with an outlet so that they come on when you start the tool that is plugged into it. My Festool claims 62 DB at 3 ft at the lowest speed. That is the level of normal conversation. I think the Fein is a bit cheaper, the one I looked at was not variable speed but had a sound level of 66 Db. One thing to note about theses "dust extractors" they are not very good for large shop cleanups. They all use a smaller hose, for shop cleanup you still need a shopvac. 

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

Goat I have a Festool CT MIDI, I believe all of the Festool and Fein vacuums are setup with an outlet so that they come on when you start the tool that is plugged into it. My Festool claims 62 DB at 3 ft at the lowest speed. That is the level of normal conversation. I think the Fein is a bit cheaper, the one I looked at was not variable speed but had a sound level of 66 Db. One thing to note about theses "dust extractors" they are not very good for large shop cleanups. They all use a smaller hose, for shop cleanup you still need a shopvac. 

I think these will do the job for my intended use.  I just want a HEPA system for cutting in the house.  I'm OK with only using it on the scroll saw.  I don't know if I want to sand in the house.  I guess that depends on how well these capture the dust.  I mentioned the Festool model I did because the price was decent for a HEPA system.  I think the drawback is it has a 2 lb bag, but that should be plenty for scrolling with a cyclone.  My main focus is to keep as much dust out of the house as I can.

I can't find it now, but I thought I read somewhere the Masterforce I bought was in the 60 db range.  I don't know what it is, but its nowhere near that.  With ear plugs and earmuffs on I can still easily hear it.  It still feels like I have the TV turned up really loud.  But I can deal with it for now.  The WEN air filtration system I can't even tell its running with the ear protection on.  I can always use this outside when the weather and have it outside the garage.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:42 AM, Scrappile said:

I went to a heavier bucket.  Mine is on a 5 gallon Behr paint bucker.... Not all 5 gallon buckets are the same.... Some have thicker walls than others...  I have also read about the bucket inside a bucket, but if one in inside how do you know if it is collapsing or not?   

I can now confirm the bucket inside CAN still collapse.  Was working on a piece yesterday for about 4 hours.  When I was done for the night I looked over and seen what I thought was a big hole in the side of the bucket.  It was the inside bucket was totally collapsed.

I'm going to need to totally rethink/rework my setup.  Trying to concentrate on cutting is difficult with pieces constantly getting stuck in the bends of the 3/4" pipe and this Duststopper with a leaking seal/collapsing bucket.  It worked good when initially setup and doing a few test cuts.  However when doing actual work for hours at a time I have found several things I need to change.

I can also confirm the Duststopper does allow dust to escape from the leaking seal.  I picked up a new bucket to try.  I removed all the aluminum tape I had around where the Duststopper "seals" with the bucket.  About 1/4 the circumference around the bucket was packed with dust.  Makes me wonder how much dust got thrown back into my room.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just use the vac and eliminate the Duststopper.

3 hours ago, Goat said:

I can also confirm the Duststopper does allow dust to escape from the leaking seal.  I picked up a new bucket to try.  I removed all the aluminum tape I had around where the Duststopper "seals" with the bucket.  About 1/4 the circumference around the bucket was packed with dust.  Makes me wonder how much dust got thrown back into my room.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just use the vac and eliminate the Duststopper.

I've got a dustopper and have had no problems with it. But I don't restrict the airflow in any way. I use it with my table saw and it works great. 16 gallon Ridgid vac, 2 1/2" hose and not necked down at all. I don't think it's meant to be restricted. What size is your hose at your scroll saw? I'd try to stay above 1 1/2". If it's caving in your bucket it's telling you something.

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I've got a dustopper and have had no problems with it. But I don't restrict the airflow in any way. I use it with my table saw and it works great. 16 gallon Ridgid vac, 2 1/2" hose and not necked down at all. I don't think it's meant to be restricted. What size is your hose at your scroll saw? I'd try to stay above 1 1/2". If it's caving in your bucket it's telling you something.

The PVC is 3/4", its the 2 1/2" tube running to the PVC at the saw.  It has that HomeDepot step down adapter which takes it to 1".  Then I have a 1" to 3/4" PVC coupling.  I think its boarderline caving all the time, but when it get a clog it caves.

I have replaced it with a Menards bucket (20 mil thicker than the homer).  I taped the "seal" like crazy.  Initial tests seemed positive.  I put it in a thick garbage bag for now.  This way even if it fails nothing will escape into the air.  I also can't see it so I can concentrate on cutting.

I made a commitment to supply the prizes for a local club.  I have a couple pieces I need to finish and deliver Wednesday.  I'll make this all work for now and then rethink/rework everything once the pieces are done.  I might try the thicker PVC as that won't take much time to install.

8 hours ago, Goat said:

The PVC is 3/4", its the 2 1/2" tube running to the PVC at the saw.  It has that HomeDepot step down adapter which takes it to 1".  Then I have a 1" to 3/4" PVC coupling.  I think its boarderline caving all the time, but when it get a clog it caves.

I have replaced it with a Menards bucket (20 mil thicker than the homer).  I taped the "seal" like crazy.  Initial tests seemed positive.  I put it in a thick garbage bag for now.  This way even if it fails nothing will escape into the air.  I also can't see it so I can concentrate on cutting.

I made a commitment to supply the prizes for a local club.  I have a couple pieces I need to finish and deliver Wednesday.  I'll make this all work for now and then rethink/rework everything once the pieces are done.  I might try the thicker PVC as that won't take much time to install.

I think it might help if you install a pvc ball valve in your line so you can vent the line. You have too much vacuum and need to bleed it off some. That's my take on it.