Hawk dust collection

Brokentone

I just finished a Dust collector for my 220 ultra using some hints L

I got fro this forum. And some of my own. I am quite pleased with the result. I used the metro as, small cyclone and 6”pvc coupling for the collector.After cutting there was no dust on saw, just a few chips and no dust in the air. It kept the line clear. Pics show the condition after cutting those bb plywood ornaments there was no dust under the table as was usually. Need to get better pickup above table

C755392B-1C37-44FD-B13D-AF14AF47FCF2.jpeg

C8256264-3CFF-440F-AE6B-60F31C470FDA.jpeg

52E67BFB-D3DE-454E-B2CD-2BF8F056102C.jpeg

A0ACBB77-49FB-4A96-B7A4-88414B758930.jpeg

EB481BF8-90D3-43E2-8EB3-4B2D63ED2543.jpeg

3 hours ago, Brokentone said:

I just finished a Dust collector for my 220 ultra using some hints L

I got fro this forum. And some of my own. I am quite pleased with the result. I used the metro as, small cyclone and 6”pvc coupling for the collector.After cutting there was no dust on saw, just a few chips and no dust in the air. It kept the line clear. Pics show the condition after cutting those bb plywood ornaments there was no dust under the table as was usually. Need to get better pickup above table

C755392B-1C37-44FD-B13D-AF14AF47FCF2.jpeg

C8256264-3CFF-440F-AE6B-60F31C470FDA.jpeg

52E67BFB-D3DE-454E-B2CD-2BF8F056102C.jpeg

A0ACBB77-49FB-4A96-B7A4-88414B758930.jpeg

EB481BF8-90D3-43E2-8EB3-4B2D63ED2543.jpeg

Excellent build. I'm curious as to the clear hose. What/where is it and from. I'm using cpap hose but if it proves to be too small in diameter, I might like to go to that hose/tubing. Can you elaborate on all of your pieces? Thanks for the great pics.

Thanks Gents,

The pattern is a fairly recent Steve Good my wife loved it, had to make a bunch.

RAY I used 1” pvc from the cyclone to the clear vinyl from Lowe’s it has about 1/4” wall thickness and 1 1/4 Id. Had to work on it with a heat gun to get the kinks out 1” tee  then 3/4 out tee. After those pics I cut a ring to go over the intake of the vac with tabs to hold the vac to the platform with 1/4” threaded rod similar to what I have holding the drum under cyclone. I think I will get 3/4 locline for above table and make a funnel for below. I made a muffler but I think it has too much back pressure have to redesign will wear the work tunes till I get to it. If you need any more pics just let me know.

Bob

3 minutes ago, Brokentone said:

Thanks Gents,

The pattern is a fairly recent Steve Good my wife loved it, had to make a bunch.

RAY I used 1” pvc from the cyclone to the clear vinyl from Lowe’s it has about 1/4” wall thickness and 1 1/4 Id. Had to work on it with a heat gun to get the kinks out 1” tee  then 3/4 out tee. After those pics I cut a ring to go over the intake of the vac with tabs to hold the vac to the platform with 1/4” threaded rod similar to what I have holding the drum under cyclone. I think I will get 3/4 locline for above table and make a funnel for below. I made a muffler but I think it has too much back pressure have to redesign will wear the work tunes till I get to it. If you need any more pics just let me know.

Bob

Thanks for all that info. But not being able to actually see it, it would be great if at some point you deconstruct it for any reason, maybe you could shoot some pics of all the pieces individually. I can sort of see it in my mind but there are a lot of clouds and fog to get through in my old head. I used a Tropical orange juice bottle as a muffler but it might be causing a bit of blockage. I might have to cut the back end out of it and just let it flow through fully. Right now, I'm still in the process of building my system. I got high-centered working on our motor home trying to get it ready to go on a long trip after the first of the year. Providing our illustrious new President doesn't shut it all down again. Anyway, if you can provide pics, I'd sure be appreciative.

Very neat installation! I was going to suggest the "Loc Line" fittings for the top but you already have that on your list. Very clever setup. Do you have an idea of the sound level? Interesting Vacuum, brand and source?

The only other suggestion I would make, and this is based on experience with my system.  I would put a trap in the line with a screen before it gets to the cyclone. 

Because you WILL suck up a small piece that you absolutely need. You sure don't want to go digging through a large can for it. The image of my complete system was when I first made it. It is held to the Hawk with A couple of Mag switches so that I can easily move it to my EX. since then I added the trap and a swivel so that I can swing the top intake out of the way with out changing its adjustment.

20170805_095250.jpg

20180329_161255.jpg

Hawk dust collection1.jpg

20180329_092127.jpg

3 hours ago, Rolf said:

Very neat installation! I was going to suggest the "Loc Line" fittings for the top but you already have that on your list. Very clever setup. Do you have an idea of the sound level? Interesting Vacuum, brand and source?

The only other suggestion I would make, and this is based on experience with my system.  I would put a trap in the line with a screen before it gets to the cyclone. 

Because you WILL suck up a small piece that you absolutely need. You sure don't want to go digging through a large can for it. The image of my complete system was when I first made it. It is held to the Hawk with A couple of Mag switches so that I can easily move it to my EX. since then I added the trap and a swivel so that I can swing the top intake out of the way with out changing its adjustment.

20170805_095250.jpg

20180329_161255.jpg

Hawk dust collection1.jpg

20180329_092127.jpg

Very neat collection system. I am a little confused (may be a lot confused). In original post I see the stainless canister and blue cyclone. Is the stainless the vac? Would you please give the source and model of that?

Thanks

Sam

I'm very curious about your cyclone. I have two of the small cyclones, the blue plastic one and the aluminum one. They work well. I see you have mounted your cyclone much the way a Dust Deputy is mounted. The narrow bottom is mounted with a flange unlike the small cyclones. How did you seal into the collection container? My cyclone is mounted into the collection container and works well. A bit of sawdust works its way into the vacuum cleaner. I think this is because my sawdust is so very fine as I usually cut with #2/0 and #1 blades. It's not enough for me to worry about. So I'm wondering if your cyclone mount may be more efficient since that is the way the Dust Deputy is mounted. Or, I wonder, if I used a much deeper container would make the little cyclone more efficient.

1-20200821_112703.jpg

2-20200821_112734.jpg

Looks a lot like my system, and the Vacuum in question is the is a Metro Vac 5000 I believe.. same as my system I have.. also same unit that Seyco uses for their scroll saw dust collection system.. 

My vac is much quieter than a shop vac.. BUT.. I'm quite doubtful that it's the 62db that seyco advertises it as.. maybe from 10 foot away.. LOL.. I bought the Seyco system back when I ordered parts to rebuild my Ex-21 this summer.. I've put about 30 hours on the saw since the rebuild.. so the vac has that many hours on it too.. and the dust can is about half full.. Think it's about a gallon sized can that come with the Seyco set up.. anyway.. I have a fair amount of dust escape the can and go to the vac bag.. 

I bought the little blue plastic cyclone last summer and also found one of these( new open box ) metro 5000 vacs on eBay for $30 shipped.. so I snagged it up.. I see them for $50 -100 quite often and from time to time $30 -40 for new open box ones.. lots of used ones on there too.. 

I'm going to be interested in how much vac power you get with having both upper and lower dust collection ports.. I am only running the lower (Seyco's designed system) collection at the moment on my EX-21. I bought the other parts tp build my own system but have yet found the time or energy to actually do it.. I feel the small vac might be underpowered for both upper and lower ports.. but I could be wrong.. as the dust is fine stuff and probably doesn't take a lot of suction to pick it up.. Don't get me wrong.. it's fairly powerful with a single port.. just not sure it'd be up to the task for two ports.. maybe with the right hose size and port openings.. the port with the Seyco nozzle its a oval shape and maybe if it were restricted some it's work well with two ports..

I really wish I had gone with my original plan to hook up a system like Rolfs and buy a Festool.. the price of the Festool isn't cheap but neither is having a system for each saw.. since I use 4 different saws.. Believe the Festool on the low setting is much quieter than these little Metro Vacs.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/METRO-VAC-N-GO-VM4B500-Portable-Vacuum-Cleaner-500W-Motor-4-5A/201713240295?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edit to add: I should also state that the Seyco system does get about 98-99% of any dust that falls below the table.. however it get's 0% from above the table.. and there is still a fair amount of dust still landing in my lap from spinning the wood and nocking it off the top onto my lap.. LOL.. I can see that a dust collection above the table is important.. You wouldn't think there would be that much but I bet 30% of cutting dust is on top and 70% goes below.. so that is still a lot of dust escaping into the air, lap and wherever, LOL 

Edited by kmmcrafts

The vac is metro vac. Les I cut an angled hole in the platform installed 2 8-32 threaded rods to hold the cyclone into the hole sealed it with Lexor caulk, the cyclone matches the taper in the hole but is not perfectly round. The bottom of the cyclone is extending into the container about 3/4” the container is 6 1/2” dia 6” deep and is held up under the platform with 2  1/4 rods seat the top of container to the plat form with a layer of rubber tape. I had only cut those ornaments with #1 and #3 when I checked the filter at that time it was lean as new.

Rolf good suggestion on the trap. Is your locline 1/2 or 3/4?

Kevin you are correct in that is not quiet enough, I have to wear my work tunes. I believe that the majority dust that gets into the air is from the blower the dust from the bottom seemed to mostly fall on the table. 

I was just coming on here about to ask about dust collection and here is this thread 🙂

I have a small vacuum I got for my car like 10 years ago, but never used it.  Its about the same size as the one in the pics.  Maybe I can use it with a cyclone and some PVC?

Is this suitable for cutting in your house?  Or should I buy one of those dust collection systems?  What is most appropriate for in house dust collection?

I was thinking about buying the Jet 1000CFM Air Filtration System and something like this Rikon - 1HP Dust Collector #60-105.

I'd like to know I'm safe when cutting BB ply in the house.  I'd prefer something at least semi portable so I can easily move to the garage in the warm months.

11 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I have a HF 13 gallon dust collector. Only use it on my lathe and router. You don't need a large DC foe scroll sawing. What do you want to use it for?

Just scrolling and my 1" belt sander.  I go outside and hook up an orec vacuum with filter, which does a good job at controlling the dust.  But I'd like to do everything inside. 

I'd be doing this in the house, which is why I thought I'd need a good DC.  I just want whatever I need to cut safe in the house.

Edited by Goat

38 minutes ago, Goat said:

Just scrolling and my 1" belt sander.  I go outside and hook up an orec vacuum with filter, which does a good job at controlling the dust.  But I'd like to do everything inside. 

I'd be doing this in the house, which is why I thought I'd need a good DC.  I just want whatever I need to cut safe in the house.

I used to scroll in the house.. I would say if you have a vacuum sucking the majority of dust away.. that is a great way to take care of most of it..

I have a hanging dust filtration system in my shop while it helps quite a lot but I also find it to be not as efficient as my cheap old box fan with a 20" x 20" allergen type furnace filter on the back of it.. I'm able to place it the the side where the blower hose on the scroll saw blows the dust and the fan seems to get a good portion of that dust.. I think maybe the shop is too large and also the placement of the hanging unit is partly to blame for it not being quite as effective.. Don't get me wrong it helps.. but I think being able to put the fan right near the saw or sander would catch it better than letting it go way up to the ceiling and sometimes getting blown around by the filtration system if it happens to get on the front side of that thing.. 

Can take that furnace filter off the back of the fan and take it outside and tap it on something to clean it out.. I use the same filter for a long time.. every now and then I take the air hose from my compressor and blow it out backwards of coarse and it cleans up almost like new.. 

51 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I used to scroll in the house.. I would say if you have a vacuum sucking the majority of dust away.. that is a great way to take care of most of it..

I have a hanging dust filtration system in my shop while it helps quite a lot but I also find it to be not as efficient as my cheap old box fan with a 20" x 20" allergen type furnace filter on the back of it.. I'm able to place it the the side where the blower hose on the scroll saw blows the dust and the fan seems to get a good portion of that dust.. I think maybe the shop is too large and also the placement of the hanging unit is partly to blame for it not being quite as effective.. Don't get me wrong it helps.. but I think being able to put the fan right near the saw or sander would catch it better than letting it go way up to the ceiling and sometimes getting blown around by the filtration system if it happens to get on the front side of that thing.. 

Can take that furnace filter off the back of the fan and take it outside and tap it on something to clean it out.. I use the same filter for a long time.. every now and then I take the air hose from my compressor and blow it out backwards of coarse and it cleans up almost like new.. 

The box fan is a good idea.  I have one and a furnace filter already on hand.  Which side of the fan do you put the filter?  Have the fan blow into the filter?

2 hours ago, Goat said:

The box fan is a good idea.  I have one and a furnace filter already on hand.  Which side of the fan do you put the filter?  Have the fan blow into the filter?

Put the filter on the suction side. Blow the air away from the saw. The blower tube on your saw should blow the dust off the table and into the filter. 

Brokentone, I used the 3/4" Loc lin. I have my system connected to a Festool Midi running at the minimum speed  which is about 62 DB noise level. The Loc lin is situated so that it doesn't restrict my access to either clamp. On the Hawk I can get it closer to the bottom of the table hole, but it is still very effective on the EX also.

Rockytime, regarding the fine dust buildup on the mini cyclone, being that the cyclone is plastic it is probably because of static charge.  Doesn't the funnel interfere with the bottom clamp?

Edited by Rolf