Kingfisher

FrankEV

Awesome job Frank!! Nice choice of woods, and I really like the way you brought out the contrast. Poplar frame stained Mahogany...very nice, I'll have to try that combination. You did the whole thing with those evil spirals! Wow, I can never get the smooth lines with spirals...great job. 

3 hours ago, OzarkSawdust said:

Awesome job Frank!! Nice choice of woods, and I really like the way you brought out the contrast. Poplar frame stained Mahogany...very nice, I'll have to try that combination. You did the whole thing with those evil spirals! Wow, I can never get the smooth lines with spirals...great job. 

Thanks for the comments.  So JFYI:

Unlike Pine and most other wood, Poplar takes almost any color stain verey well because the grain is very uniform and has very little pitch/sap.  It also paints up well also.

I'm getting to a point that I do not like using regular straight cutting blades.  A lot of portrait work lends itself to the use of Spiral blades and cutting time is significantly reduced using them.   A lot of practice is the key.  For longer straight or curved cuts it is definately dificult to get a smooth cut with a spiral blade, but I have found if I tend to err on the waste side of the line, I can clean the cut up using a shaving action that is possible with a spiral blade. I actually find this technique is often more forgiving than when using a straight cutting blade for similar cuts.

3 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Unlike Pine and most other wood, Poplar takes almost any color stain verey well because the grain is very uniform and has very little pitch/sap.  It also paints up well also.

I'm getting to a point that I do not like using regular straight cutting blades.  A lot of portrait work lends itself to the use of Spiral blades and cutting time is significantly reduced using them.   A lot of practice is the key.  For longer straight or curved cuts it is definately dificult to get a smooth cut with a spiral blade, but I have found if I tend to err on the waste side of the line, I can clean the cut up using a shaving action that is possible with a spiral blade. I actually find this technique is often more forgiving than when using a straight cutting blade for similar cuts.

I've been painting my Poplar frames mostly. But I think I'll try the Mahogany stain on one real soon.

I just need to use a smaller pattern that I don't care if it comes out and practice with the spirals. I'm sure I have #1s and may have some 0s also.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, FrankEV said:

I don't like to shave if possible but it happens. Just today the blade was way to thin and wanted to wander so rather than shave or do it twice i uped the blade size!