FYI, My Dust collector Install

FrankEV

Thank you Frank.  Very nicely done and documented.  I need to do something for my shop and you have given me ideas to think about.  

My workshop and garden tool storage are combined in one 16' x 16' shed.  So I do not have the option to locate the noisy part separately and must pay attention to the sound level.  

Wonderful design, well thought out. One area to keep an eye on are any 90 degree bends in the hose. It slows the air flow and can be a collection point for any wood chips. Any plumbers on this board can chime in' I'm using theories of drainage design. I believe the sewage plumbing has several low degree elbows worked in rather then a 90 degree bend. RJF

9 minutes ago, teachnlearn said:

...One area to keep an eye on are any 90 degree bends in the hose....

I only have two 90 degree situations, all other turns are smooth large radius done with the hose itself.  One 90 is at the bottom of the  2 1/2 vertical drop where it tansitions to 4" just inside the wll of the workshop. this spot has the maximum suction as it is just a few feet to the dust colector itself.   The other is at the top of that same vertical drop where I Teed the 2 1/2 in each direction.  Again just a shot vertical to the run to the dust collector.  Also not I used clear hose most places so a blockage will be easily seen.

That being said, you are correct that I do need to watch to make sure I don't get any blockages.

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

Where do you live that working in a garden shed is doable without freezing?

East Coast of Central Florida.  I have a small heater designed for workshop use that will take the chill off the low 40 degree temps, rather quickly, for those few days of the year we have "winter". 

The bigger problem is the High 90 degree days we get in the middle of our "looooong summers".   I usually have to work very early in the mornings with doors sopen and a fan running, quitting by 10 or 11 AM when it gets unbearable.  AC is not an option.

There are a whole slew of home air coolers using styrofoam ice chest, and 5 gallon buckets. Basic design is a bucket of ice water with salt. Put a coil of hose or small cooper pipe in the bucket, add a mini pump. Take the rest of the coil and put it in front of a fan. Water is circulated in the closes loop hose coil, pumped between the cold ice and in front of the fan. See this used for broken car air conditioners, personal coolers and room coolers. Size can vary from mini to major tank size and scrape parts can help on cost. RJF

7 hours ago, Algae said:

Thank you Frank.  Very nicely done and documented.  I need to do something for my shop and you have given me ideas to think about.  

My workshop and garden tool storage are combined in one 16' x 16' shed.  So I do not have the option to locate the noisy part separately and must pay attention to the sound level.  

If you have room to set it up in a corner all you would need to do is make some movable framed walls lined with sound atenuating insulation to enclose the unit.  Add hinges to the walls to allow them to swing away to acces the unit for emptying the collection bag.  The overall height of the unit is only about 5 feet so the enclosure would need a top also.  But don't forget it would need a small vent to the ouside where the air can excape.

Edited by FrankEV

19 hours ago, FrankEV said:

I’ve mentioned before that my workshop is a small 8’ x 12’ Resin Suncast shed purchased from Lowes.  I also have a previously installed 7’ x 10’ Resin Suncast shed that is for my garden equipment.  The back of my workshop shed is about six inches from the side of the garden equipment shed.

Sawdust control has become a problem in the work shop.  I only have 4 machines in my shed.  Between my scroll saw, router, sander and table saw I have been generating way tooooo much sawdust and it was getting impossible just to sweep to keep the shop clean.  My small shop vacuum was filling up the bag quickly and was not very practical to get in and around the equipment stations and work bench.   A dust collection system seemed to be a necessary investment.

Since my shop is small there was no room to install a dust collector inside the shop, so I decided that I would look for a system I could install in the garden equipment shed and run the collection piping and a remote switch through the walls into the workshop.   Locating the Dust Collector remotely in the garden equipment shed reduces the noise of the loud dust collector in the workshop. 

I also did not want to spend a lot of money for a system, so after some Google searches and a lot of research, I decided to purchase a Woodstock International Shop Fox model W1727 1 HP Dust Collector that was recommended for 3 machines for about $450.  Since my shop is so small I figured it would be good for my 4 machines  and a drag around hose.. 

2106250309_shopfoxlogo.thumb.JPG.9f472b8668e96d1ef101618285dbf219.JPG

1485525479_shopfox1(2).thumb.JPG.bdeb8b8a5e357621eb192612c122f5fd.JPG

Four inch diameter hose was used to connect the Shop Fox through the walls into the workshop where the interconnection hoses was reduced to 2 1/2” diameter throughout the workshop.   

1372709524_shopfox2-4conn.thumb.JPG.f2bd22a62a2383b669f6c55096ca5c90.JPG

This is the hose between the sheds wrapped with foil sided tape for protection. The switch wire also under the tape wrap.

1189048501_betweensheds.thumb.JPG.57ae6654faeb65d6d08e495391cd23d1.JPG

This is the tansition from 4" to 2 1/2" inside the workshop.

m191426997_transto2.5.thumb.JPG.d5f068b0978f178d3a85d509686a6849.JPG

I removed the On/Off switch that came mounted on the Shop Fox motor and relocated the switch to inside the Workshop.  A twist lock male plug was installed in the gem box on the motor where the switch was and a female plug attached to the wire coming from the relocated switch.  This prevents the connection from becoming dislarged due to vibration.

1596892267_remoteswitchplugin.thumb.JPG.9d7cc4c0efd22420bb0932f1d85ad0b2.JPG

1901843053_remoteswitch.thumb.JPG.5a6924e8f53c8d255614f7f6128f595c.JPG

There is a blast door at each machine so only one inlet at a time will be operated when the machine is operated.    I also added a fifth blast door for a  1 1/4” dia. drag around hose for shop cleanup of sawdust generated by portable tools like palm sanders,Dremel carving tools  and trim routers.

This is to the back of the disk/belt sander.  

1946168491_conntosander.thumb.JPG.f667f2d4dcbce2268a4f4f84b15e350f.JPG

This is the connection to my router table.  There is also a  lower inlet in the back from the box below that cannot be seen.

449577353_connatrouter.thumb.JPG.d85d018ddb9c5a8ef2d0c05bd715f3c9.JPG

This is the connection to the back of my contracto table saw.

1430066223_conntotablesaw.thumb.JPG.2ce80ff07fadf7dd922f720d3b0b5b25.JPG

This is the connection to the Pegas and the drag around hose.

1118733784_connatpegas.thumb.JPG.a77da6b8b4adce3a10fb65c1b9a0ef17.JPG

I made a collection box for under the Pegas table.  

2035271788_colectionboxatpegas.thumb.JPG.441310a54d4d8a85e0b7c8975b608075.JPG 

Although I have not used the system for actual machine operations yet, I have tested  the system and it seems to be working just as exspected.  Plenty of suction and the Dust Collector can be barely heard.  The air flow at an inlet is louder that the sound of the remotely located motor.  Not sure if I will run it continuously while scrolling.  Might turn it on when dust and pieces collect in the box below the table.

The hoses, fittings (i.e.; Tee, Wyes, Blast Gates), hose clamps (lots of hose clamps) and hose mountings added about another $250 to the cost of the system.   It took  about 16 hours over three days to install the complete system.

Hope this was not too boring and possible useful information for any one consdidering a small dust collector system.  

Excellent write-up and info. Thanks. And also thanks for all the pics. We love pics.

4 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

There are a whole slew of home air coolers using styrofoam ice chest, and 5 gallon buckets. Basic design is a bucket of ice water with salt. Put a coil of hose or small cooper pipe in the bucket, add a mini pump. Take the rest of the coil and put it in front of a fan. Water is circulated in the closes loop hose coil, pumped between the cold ice and in front of the fan. See this used for broken car air conditioners, personal coolers and room coolers. Size can vary from mini to major tank size and scrape parts can help on cost. RJF

I was in thed process of replying to you when SVV went off line.

I did purchase on of those personal cooling devices last year after the end of the very hot days.  I haven't tried it yot but plan to do so when  the hot temps return.  I'm hoping it will give me a few more hours a day when the temps are way up there.

1 hour ago, FrankEV said:

I was in thed process of replying to you when SVV went off line.

I did purchase on of those personal cooling devices last year after the end of the very hot days.  I haven't tried it yot but plan to do so when  the hot temps return.  I'm hoping it will give me a few more hours a day when the temps are way up there.

I think you just gave me some idea of why we haven't moved to Florida yet. As much as I hate the whole political atmosphere here in California, I'll just live with it for the weather we have. I get cold when the temp drops below 60 and too warm anything over 78. And the humidity is livable. If I want to wear long pants and a warm shirt I can work out in my shop all winter and I just installed a window a/c for the summer.

8 hours ago, Ken Lotts said:

Nice shop!

Thanks.  Thought maybe you and others might want to see the whole 8' X 12' shop:

1733827530_shopoverall.thumb.JPG.fb4f995a487efc3098394b8da4c57ca0.JPG

Looking in the front double door.  You can see I don't have to walk very far between work stations. The shelf across the rear wall has a bunch of my extra Motorcycle parts.  These will probably be relocated to my storage unit when I need the space for more wood working stuff.

2012716808_shoprightside.thumb.JPG.761a191fa05f109fee39778b9d7fbb50.JPG

Right side. Light wood storage on shelf, lots of clamps, hand tools, etc.

554770687_shopleftside.thumb.JPG.b6e9d69254e98968654b20a8afbcf72a.JPG

Left side.  Ive had that narrow work bench for about 40 years.  Top shel has a bunch of portable power tools in their cases. Lower shelf for all those small items you reach for, for every project.

1887813271_shoproutertable.thumb.JPG.7bc8231e0ac18e2da77535b9403ff2d7.JPG

My home made Router table.  The wood tool chest was inherited from my father who got it from my grandfather.  Probably near a hundred years old. The battery in the back corner is for my box trailer and is on a battery tender  There is alittle Echo Dot out of the pick just above the plugs. that lets me listen to my Sirius/XM. 

2069280093_shopsandingstation.thumb.JPG.d423c276bbc4b8ce73ef078a8151b830.JPG

My Sanding station on a home made roll around cabinet.  The yellow motor with wand is a slow speed carving setup that I currently have a sanding mop installed.  Works great to get the furries off the back of cuttings.  A few hand saws hang on the wall behind the station and a little plastic drawer cabinet for small picture hangers and such mounted in the back corner.

853956998_shopdremelarea.thumb.JPG.2f6ac49a9038ee9aac41299c9db5490c.JPG

My Dremel area with my upside down dremel drill press and separate dremel with wand for using high speed carving bits.  After drilling blade holes I use the wand with a small ball carving bit to taper each hole on the back side of the cut to make threading the blade easier.   I generate a lot of sawdust with hand tools (drils, sanders, small routers, etc.) on the work bench, so the drag aroung vac hose will be very nice to keep the area clean.

1027458751_ShopaircompressorIMG_0036.thumb.JPG.8f974a0a485a922c3e4975558adbe0e7.JPG 

Contractor table saw with a small pancake compressor in corner, used for pin nailer and air duster nozzle.  When I have to rip long pieces or cut large panels, I move the saw outside onto the paving in front of the shed.   Then it easy to clean up the generated saw sust with my leaf blower.  

2080882914_shoppegasbladestorage.thumb.JPG.2794f82b27cdf05e78045862f148eceb.JPG

Another view of my Pegas saw setup.  Those are blade storage test tubes with caps in a flat board mounted to the side of the stand.  Very convienent reach.

The flooring material you can see in this photo needs to be replaced.  Used a cheap thin stick down vinyl material that is not sticking well.   Rain comes in the doos while ';m working weting the floor and with the high summer temps,the floring material is lifiting.  I need to replace with a more durable permanently secured material.  Next Spring's project.

Unfortunately as you can see I have no wall space to hang any of nmy work. 

Edited by FrankEV

2 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Thanks.  Thought maybe you and others might want to see the whole 8' X 12' shop:

1733827530_shopoverall.thumb.JPG.fb4f995a487efc3098394b8da4c57ca0.JPG

Looking in the front double door.  You can see I don't have to walk very far between work stations. The shelf across the rear wall has a bunch of my extra Motorcycle parts.  These will probably be relocated to my storage unit when I need the space for more wood working stuff.

2012716808_shoprightside.thumb.JPG.761a191fa05f109fee39778b9d7fbb50.JPG

Right side. Light wood storage on shelf, lots of clamps, hand tools, etc.

554770687_shopleftside.thumb.JPG.b6e9d69254e98968654b20a8afbcf72a.JPG

Left side.  Ive had that narrow work bench for about 40 years.  Top shel has a bunch of portable power tools in their cases. Lower shelf for all those small items you reach for, for every project.

1887813271_shoproutertable.thumb.JPG.7bc8231e0ac18e2da77535b9403ff2d7.JPG

My home made Router table.  The wood tool chest was inherited from my father who got it from my grandfather.  Probably near a hundred years old. The battery in the back corner is for my box trailer and is on a battery tender  There is alittle Echo Dot out of the pick just above the plugs. that lets me listen to my Sirius/XM. 

2069280093_shopsandingstation.thumb.JPG.d423c276bbc4b8ce73ef078a8151b830.JPG

My Sanding station on a home made roll around cabinet.  The yellow motor with wand is a slow speed carving setup that I currently have a sanding mop installed.  Works great to get the furries off the back of cuttings.  A few hand saws hang on the wall behind the station and a little plastic drawer cabinet for small picture hangers and such mounted in the back corner.

853956998_shopdremelarea.thumb.JPG.2f6ac49a9038ee9aac41299c9db5490c.JPG

My Dremel area with my upside down dremel drill press and separate dremel with wand for using high speed carving bits.  After drilling blade holes I use the wand with a small ball carving bit to taper each hole on the back side of the cut to make threading the blade easier.   I generate a lot of sawdust with hand tools (drils, sanders, small routers, etc.) on the work bench, so the drag aroung vac hose will be very nice to keep the area clean.

1027458751_ShopaircompressorIMG_0036.thumb.JPG.8f974a0a485a922c3e4975558adbe0e7.JPG 

Contractor table saw with a small pancake compressor in corner, used for pin nailer and air duster nozzle.  When I have to rip long pieces or cut large panels, I move the saw outside onto the paving in front of the shed.   Then it easy to clean up the generated saw sust with my leaf blower.  

2080882914_shoppegasbladestorage.thumb.JPG.2794f82b27cdf05e78045862f148eceb.JPG

Another view of my Pegas saw setup.  Those are blade storage test tubes with caps in a flat board mounted to the side of the stand.  Very convienent reach.

The flooring material you can see in this photo needs to be replaced.  Used a cheap thin stick down vinyl material that is not sticking well.   Rain comes in the doos while ';m working weting the floor and with the high summer temps,the floring material is lifiting.  I need to replace with a more durable permanently secured material.  Next Spring's project.

Unfortunately as you can see I have no wall space to hang any of nmy work. 

Thanks Frank. You are as short on space as I am. My shop is 9 x 13. I have a small entry door so that gives me one more wall than you. I take my Dewalt saw out on my driveway to use it. No room in the shop for it. I have a 14" bandsaw, 2 scroll saws, a stack tool box, an 8 foot long work bench, a Fein/DustDeputy, and a ton of hand held power tools up on a shelf. I bought a ton of woodworking quick clamps from a guy whose Dad passed away. I should never need another clamp of that type. I would like to buy a couple of 24" Bessey bar clamps though. They are nice for glue-ups. I bought 4 of the 4 foot LED shop lights when H/F had them on sale for $20 ea. They are so bright I have to turn them off if I want to look up at anything on the shelves above them. Anyway, we are both using our small area to the best of our abilities.

I love shop photos. My shop is small also, 112 sq ft. 8X14. I do not keep my table saw in the shop which helps. You seen to be well organized. I do have a small 220V heater which keeps the shop around 70 degrees. You have a very nice dust collection system and the fact that it is outside the shop is great.

9 hours ago, Ken Lotts said:

...How do you heat it in the winter and cool it in the summer?

A small electric heater designed to be used in a workshop.  When temps are in the 40's. it takes about an hour to bring it up to a comfortable temp to work in. If it drops much below 40, I just skip a day and the temps will bounce back up.  Not often here in Florida will the temps stay below the 40's.

No possible A/C.  Power suppy not adequate and no wall space for one.  I work early mornings with door open and a fan on.  Bought one of those portable personel cooling units that uses ice to cool the air and the fan operates on USB voltage (about 5 volts I think).  Havn't used it yet but the high temps will be back in a couple of months. Should add a few hours a day of work time.

8 hours ago, Rockytime said:

... I do not keep my table saw in the shop ...

My Contractor table saw is easy to move and I can pull it away from the wall far enough to cut project panels and such.  I take it ouside to do long rip cuts or cut large pieces of Ply.  I tend to use the saw as a work surface to do finishing work with a drop cloth covering the table.   

2 hours ago, teachmetoo said:

Forum dropped yesterday, now it doesn't recognize my sign in or email. Can't figure what to do. May be the end of  my postings. If I can''t get in any more, its been great conversation and information. Later,, RJF

I can help you get your account squared away.  Shoot me an email at travis [at] scrollsawvillage.com from your email account you registered your username: teachnlearn

If anybody is having trouble with their logins, please let me know.  I should be able to help easy enough.  It gets too confusing when folks have more than one account.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:35 PM, FrankEV said:

I’ve mentioned before that my workshop is a small 8’ x 12’ Resin Suncast shed purchased from Lowes.  I also have a previously installed 7’ x 10’ Resin Suncast shed that is for my garden equipment.  The back of my workshop shed is about six inches from the side of the garden equipment shed.

Sawdust control has become a problem in the work shop.  I only have 4 machines in my shed.  Between my scroll saw, router, sander and table saw I have been generating way tooooo much sawdust and it was getting impossible just to sweep to keep the shop clean.  My small shop vacuum was filling up the bag quickly and was not very practical to get in and around the equipment stations and work bench.   A dust collection system seemed to be a necessary investment.

Since my shop is small there was no room to install a dust collector inside the shop, so I decided that I would look for a system I could install in the garden equipment shed and run the collection piping and a remote switch through the walls into the workshop.   Locating the Dust Collector remotely in the garden equipment shed reduces the noise of the loud dust collector in the workshop. 

I also did not want to spend a lot of money for a system, so after some Google searches and a lot of research, I decided to purchase a Woodstock International Shop Fox model W1727 1 HP Dust Collector that was recommended for 3 machines for about $450.  Since my shop is so small I figured it would be good for my 4 machines  and a drag around hose.. 

2106250309_shopfoxlogo.thumb.JPG.9f472b8668e96d1ef101618285dbf219.JPG

1485525479_shopfox1(2).thumb.JPG.bdeb8b8a5e357621eb192612c122f5fd.JPG

Four inch diameter hose was used to connect the Shop Fox through the walls into the workshop where the interconnection hoses was reduced to 2 1/2” diameter throughout the workshop.   

1372709524_shopfox2-4conn.thumb.JPG.f2bd22a62a2383b669f6c55096ca5c90.JPG

This is the hose between the sheds wrapped with foil sided tape for protection. The switch wire also under the tape wrap.

1189048501_betweensheds.thumb.JPG.57ae6654faeb65d6d08e495391cd23d1.JPG

This is the tansition from 4" to 2 1/2" inside the workshop.

m191426997_transto2.5.thumb.JPG.d5f068b0978f178d3a85d509686a6849.JPG

I removed the On/Off switch that came mounted on the Shop Fox motor and relocated the switch to inside the Workshop.  A twist lock male plug was installed in the gem box on the motor where the switch was and a female plug attached to the wire coming from the relocated switch.  This prevents the connection from becoming dislarged due to vibration.

1596892267_remoteswitchplugin.thumb.JPG.9d7cc4c0efd22420bb0932f1d85ad0b2.JPG

1901843053_remoteswitch.thumb.JPG.5a6924e8f53c8d255614f7f6128f595c.JPG

There is a blast door at each machine so only one inlet at a time will be operated when the machine is operated.    I also added a fifth blast door for a  1 1/4” dia. drag around hose for shop cleanup of sawdust generated by portable tools like palm sanders,Dremel carving tools  and trim routers.

This is to the back of the disk/belt sander.  

1946168491_conntosander.thumb.JPG.f667f2d4dcbce2268a4f4f84b15e350f.JPG

This is the connection to my router table.  There is also a  lower inlet in the back from the box below that cannot be seen.

449577353_connatrouter.thumb.JPG.d85d018ddb9c5a8ef2d0c05bd715f3c9.JPG

This is the connection to the back of my contracto table saw.

1430066223_conntotablesaw.thumb.JPG.2ce80ff07fadf7dd922f720d3b0b5b25.JPG

This is the connection to the Pegas and the drag around hose.

1118733784_connatpegas.thumb.JPG.a77da6b8b4adce3a10fb65c1b9a0ef17.JPG

I made a collection box for under the Pegas table.  

2035271788_colectionboxatpegas.thumb.JPG.441310a54d4d8a85e0b7c8975b608075.JPG 

Although I have not used the system for actual machine operations yet, I have tested  the system and it seems to be working just as exspected.  Plenty of suction and the Dust Collector can be barely heard.  The air flow at an inlet is louder that the sound of the remotely located motor.  Not sure if I will run it continuously while scrolling.  Might turn it on when dust and pieces collect in the box below the table.

The hoses, fittings (i.e.; Tee, Wyes, Blast Gates), hose clamps (lots of hose clamps) and hose mountings added about another $250 to the cost of the system.   It took  about 16 hours over three days to install the complete system.

Hope this was not too boring and possible useful information for any one consdidering a small dust collector system.  

EDIT 1/14/21:  There is a tour of my shop in a reply to Ken toward the bottom of this post.

Where's the Harley?