BDay gift

dman

6 hours ago, Rolf said:

That is beautiful, I really like how you mounted it. Who's design?

The design came from a book Creating Wooden Boxes on the Scroll Saw, by The Best of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. Sue Chrestensen wrote the article and credited Lora Irish for the design. She used the design to make a keepsake box, but I made it into a wall hanging. My son-in-law didn't need a box, but he was into that kind of art.

I used maple for the wings, oak for the body and walnut for the leaves on the head. the pattern said to scroll saw the thing from a single piece of wood, but it was worth the extra trouble to fit the 3 woods together. It was mounted on 1/4" ply -- HD called it underlayment ply, but I picked a few nice sheets from the pile. It's a 100 mile trip to HD for me, but a 6 hr drive to get Baltic Birch that I would have prefered.  The frame was made from scraps -- probably poplar. A bit of red and white acrylic paint finished it off.  A Flying Dutchman PS5 was on the saw, so I used it without any trouble. 

Hope this helps!