Here's an interesting idea for a scroll saw stand/seat all in one!

OCtoolguy

This came to me today on Instructables and I took one look at it and saw not a weight-lifting bench but a scroll saw bench and seat. With a bit of alteration I can see that it would be great. Add a seat back and it might be very comfortable. A bit of alteration to the long board part so that it would be adjustable for saw tilt too. 

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Adjustable-Wooden-Weightlifting-Bench/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't see it. 

Come on. Envision sitting on the small seat. The backrest becomes a table top for the saw. It would have to have the geometry altered a bit but I can see sitting on the small seat and being able to look right down on the saw top. I'm not saying that you could use it as it is now. Just another design that would work. I might just have to build one so you could "see" it.

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

This came to me today on Instructables and I took one look at it and saw not a weight-lifting bench but a scroll saw bench and seat. With a bit of alteration I can see that it would be great. Add a seat back and it might be very comfortable. A bit of alteration to the long board part so that it would be adjustable for saw tilt too. 

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Adjustable-Wooden-Weightlifting-Bench/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

I get instructables but if it has anything to do with exercise I would never open it! Makes me feel threatened.

29 minutes ago, preprius said:

Here is article I found that mentions floating table for scroll saws. 

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/clair-bossum-fretting-intarsia/

I read the article but without pictures, we can never believe a word of it. Where's the pics? I'm having a tough time envisioning what a floating table might look like and how it would work. His quick clamps would be nice to see too. I wonder what saw he was using. Anybody have more info on him? I tried to find something but couldn't find anything beyond this article.

Edited by octoolguy

20 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I read the article but without pictures, we can never believe a word of it. Where's the pics? I'm having a tough time envisioning what a floating table might look like and how it would work. His quick clamps would be nice to see too. I wonder what saw he was using. Anybody have more info on him? I tried to find something but couldn't find anything beyond this article.

Back when I was young, pictures cost alot of money in a magazine.    I can make a sketch if you need.   Also the "fakes news" was not invented yet.   😉

But I guess this guy Clair, had a lot of vibration. So to stabilize his piece from motor vibration he built a table just above the the scroll saw.  Pretty good idea. He gets to feel the cuts being made. 

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Come on. Envision sitting on the small seat. The backrest becomes a table top for the saw. It would have to have the geometry altered a bit but I can see sitting on the small seat and being able to look right down on the saw top. I'm not saying that you could use it as it is now. Just another design that would work. I might just have to build one so you could "see" it.

Ok Ray, we designate you to build a working model!

3 minutes ago, preprius said:

Back when I was young, pictures cost alot of money in a magazine.    I can make a sketch if you need.   Also the "fakes news" was not invented yet.   😉

But I guess this guy Clair, had a lot of vibration. So to stabilize his piece from motor vibration he built a table just above the the scroll saw.  Pretty good idea. He gets to feel the cuts being made. 

I didn't mean for you to post pics. I was saying that for such a long article, they could have added one pic or so.

Please tell me you can see what I am seeing. In my minds eye, I can see it very clearly.

I see it Ray.. I'm not sure if I see it the same way you do though 😂

Let me try a shot at this.. In the diagram after you scroll down slightly shows numbered pieces of the weight / scroll saw bench. 🙂 I think you are saying to mount the saw on the #5 and you would sit on #6 but add a backrest to #6 and modify #5's height but also have it so it could be adjustable tilt.. Kinda cool idea really.. I like my factory stands best but then again.. I've never used a custom made stand.. probably cause I can't build anything and have it come out right.. besides cars and things like that.. I literally suck and building things with wood for some reason..   

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

I see it Ray.. I'm not sure if I see it the same way you do though 😂

Let me try a shot at this.. In the diagram after you scroll down slightly shows numbered pieces of the weight / scroll saw bench. 🙂 I think you are saying to mount the saw on the #5 and you would sit on #6 but add a backrest to #6 and modify #5's height but also have it so it could be adjustable tilt.. Kinda cool idea really.. I like my factory stands best but then again.. I've never used a custom made stand.. probably cause I can't build anything and have it come out right.. besides cars and things like that.. I literally suck and building things with wood for some reason..   

I think you are seeing what I am envisioning. The weight bench was built to sit on the small seat and lean back against the long backrest. I'm seeing that backrest as a saw table that can be adjusted for tilt once it's altered to the correct height and angle. The little seat could be made larger for my fat butt and a backrest could be fashioned. Or an office chair seat could be incorporated into the design. So many ideas, so little time.

You make one and willing to ship it, I might actually buy it, LOL The excalibur stand is about the poorest designed stand I've ever sat at.. Not to be offensive to those that like them.. but there is the cross braces etc on the front and the stand has a wide stance.. Nowhere for your legs / feet to go.. I know you hated the Hawk stand because of the height but at least it's not so wide that you cannot sort of straddle the stand.. The best stand I ever had so far was the DeWalt stand and the old style Delta triangle shaped stands from the 90's.. Excalibur and like saws seemed to build a nice saw but they really missed it with their stands.. JMO Someone needs to get the word out to Pegas.. maybe they'll look into designing a better stand.. they seemed to be onto improving the saws and saw tables etc.. But they still have that bulky stand. 

I am intrigued by the Hegner stands.. Never sat at one.. But I can't wait to find that perfect deal on a Hegner to try one out.. I almost just ordered a new one around last Christmas.. I've heard the stands design is less room in the shop etc.. I can see that both the Hawk and Excalibur stands do take up a fair amount of space.. But one can also build shelves into the stands.. Something I've been wanting to do to my Hawk stands.. my oldest hawk 220 came with a custom shelve built into the stand.. Very useful 

5 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

You make one and willing to ship it, I might actually buy it, LOL The excalibur stand is about the poorest designed stand I've ever sat at.. Not to be offensive to those that like them.. but there is the cross braces etc on the front and the stand has a wide stance.. Nowhere for your legs / feet to go.. I know you hated the Hawk stand because of the height but at least it's not so wide that you cannot sort of straddle the stand.. The best stand I ever had so far was the DeWalt stand and the old style Delta triangle shaped stands from the 90's.. Excalibur and like saws seemed to build a nice saw but they really missed it with their stands.. JMO Someone needs to get the word out to Pegas.. maybe they'll look into designing a better stand.. they seemed to be onto improving the saws and saw tables etc.. But they still have that bulky stand. 

I am intrigued by the Hegner stands.. Never sat at one.. But I can't wait to find that perfect deal on a Hegner to try one out.. I almost just ordered a new one around last Christmas.. I've heard the stands design is less room in the shop etc.. I can see that both the Hawk and Excalibur stands do take up a fair amount of space.. But one can also build shelves into the stands.. Something I've been wanting to do to my Hawk stands.. my oldest hawk 220 came with a custom shelve built into the stand.. Very useful 

Kevin, when I bought my first Dewalt, it was so old that the stand was still made out of tubular steel. It was like the what you like. Smaller at the front than at the back. Anyway, I hated it, too tall. I like to sit DOWN and not way up on a tall stool. Anyway, I found the wood design online that was what I wanted but it had 3 legs with the single leg at the back end of the saw and the double leg right where you had to straddle them. I reversed the design and put the single leg at the front so I could straddle it. I liked it that way. I put the saw on a rectangular piece of 3/4" plywood and hinged it at the front so that it could be lifted at the rear for whatever angle of tilt I might find comfortable. I sold the saw and let the stand go with it. The stands that I have no for my two EX's are 4 footed with the two rear wheels on 7" wheels so that it can be lifted at the end where I sit and rolled around. I incorporated two pieced of 1 1/2" PVC mounted to the sides and put a piece of 1" PVC inside of the 1 1/2" so that it would slide in and out. That became my wheelbarrow handle system and is out of the way when I'm not needle them. I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes in two places in the inner slide and a single hole in the outer piece and stick a 1/4" screw in the holes to keep the inner piece of PVC from sliding in or out when not needed. They are held to the sides of the stand with 1 1/2" conduit clamps. Now, that I have this new design floating around in my head, something new may be instore. Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, Rockytime said:

A Hegner three legged stand can sit conveniently in a corner. I love mine! That is the only reason I sold my Hawk; to get floor space.

I've really been looking at the Hegners.. I don't want to buy a new one for my first one anyway.. but want one with the up front tension lever etc..  I'd like to send the Excalibur to a new home.. nice saw.. just don't want to hassles of rebuilding it again etc.. you have to pull the whole saw apart to grease the bearings etc.. as much as I saw these days I don't want to take the time every year to do that.. about a half day job buy the time you tune the saw back up and everything.. I just performed maintenance on my Hawk tonight.. drop of oil on the tension cam and a drop on each side of the wedge piece at the back of the saw.. Took a whole maybe 5 minutes.. probably 3 of them was looking for my oil can.. LOL 

Kevin, when I bought my first Dewalt, it was so old that the stand was still made out of tubular steel. It was like the what you like. Smaller at the front than at the back. Anyway, I hated it, too tall. I like to sit DOWN and not way up on a tall stool. Anyway, I found the wood design online that was what I wanted but it had 3 legs with the single leg at the back end of the saw and the double leg right where you had to straddle them. I reversed the design and put the single leg at the front so I could straddle it. I liked it that way. I put the saw on a rectangular piece of 3/4" plywood and hinged it at the front so that it could be lifted at the rear for whatever angle of tilt I might find comfortable. I sold the saw and let the stand go with it. The stands that I have no for my two EX's are 4 footed with the two rear wheels on 7" wheels so that it can be lifted at the end where I sit and rolled around. I incorporated two pieced of 1 1/2" PVC mounted to the sides and put a piece of 1" PVC inside of the 1 1/2" so that it would slide in and out. That became my wheelbarrow handle system and is out of the way when I'm not needle them. I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes in two places in the inner slide and a single hole in the outer piece and stick a 1/4" screw in the holes to keep the inner piece of PVC from sliding in or out when not needed. They are held to the sides of the stand with 1 1/2" conduit clamps. Now, that I have this new design floating around in my head, something new may be instore. Stay tuned.

Ray, the tubular stand was the second offering. Folks hated it so much, they went back to the original stand which is the three legged version they sell today.

13 hours ago, dgman said:

Ray, the tubular stand was the second offering. Folks hated it so much, they went back to the original stand which is the three legged version they sell today.

Thanks Dan. I thought it was a first offering so that tells me my type 1 wasn't as old as I thought. The stand was junk.