Hello everyone from Western Australia

zena

On 2/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, zena said:

Hi everyone  I have just joined here about 1 hour ago. I live right down the bottom south of Western Australia.  I am new to the scroll saw. I have only been cutting out the basic animal shapes so far but now I am ready to take myelf to another level. I am only starting out with a Ryobi scroll saw RSW124G it will do me for now. Once I know what I am doing then I will upgrade to a good one. I have been watching scroll saw village videos on utube all day eyes glued to it lol and also a lot of Steve Good videos. I am really enjoying the scroll saw village tutorials using Inkscape. I also do Wood burning Pryography art and I am wanting to in time incorporate the two together. I would love to learn how to create my own 3d layered light shadow box designs using Inkscape. I havnt yet to find any tutorials on how to do these using inkscape but im still looking. Here is my very fist cut out I did the other day first time in taking my blade off and on and having to do the tension of the blade to cut out the inside parts. Its a bit rough as Im still sanding the edges down smooth. I am going to do some woodburning quote on the bottom of him. So far im feeling pleased with myself with my fisrt one like this. I really enjoyed doing it. One lesson I learnt was dont have a coffee to close when cutting, floating dust in coffee is not nice hahahaha. I am looking forward to learning heaps from you all in here. Have a fun everyone as thats what it is all about 🙂

smiley man.jpg

Now that I see you clearer, I,m amazed at how much you look💕 like my first wife!!! And I,ve never been married!!!Screenshot_20210301-220804.thumb.png.1e79989b7ce2e0c094655cc5434859a5.png

22 hours ago, zena said:

Im on the web browsing trying to find some blades for my ryobi I got from bunnings, starting to wish I didnt get the ryobi now. In moving house for my pinless blades my adapters had gone missing and I cant get any. so I cant use pinless now and im not having much luck in finding any fine blades for doing fine work that is pinned blades and bunnings only have 18 teeth per inch for ryobi and pinless. So looks like I will have to upgrade a lot sooner than I thought I would as this now has made my scrolling limited to what I can do as blade is to thick to get into little arears grrrrrr 😪

Do you have a Carbatec in your area or in WA, if so try them?  I do know they sell pin blades but I've never had to buy them so not sure what type they are, but give them a try.
Also try Timbercon.

Marg

Thank you, I have been searching for scroll saws here is WA not much around at all and to get one from over east the freight is shocking because of the weight of them. Dont you use pinless blades? if not then how do you do fine details or getting your blade in through small holes do cut small area? I wish WA was easy to get a new scroll saw lol

23 hours ago, zena said:

Thank you, I have been searching for scroll saws here is WA not much around at all and to get one from over east the freight is shocking because of the weight of them. Dont you use pinless blades? if not then how do you do fine details or getting your blade in through small holes do cut small area? I wish WA was easy to get a new scroll saw lol

Yes I use pinless blades, I have never used pinned blades.  Carbatec also sell scroll saws, they are the same as the Ex16 and the Ex21 but a Carbatec brand.

Marg

On 3/2/2021 at 11:33 AM, wombatie said:

Do you have a Carbatec in your area or in WA, if so try them?  I do know they sell pin blades but I've never had to buy them so not sure what type they are, but give them a try.
Also try Timbercon.

Marg

Hi Marg

Sorry for the late reply, I bought a carbatec lol its on its way should be here on Monday im so excited

On 3/9/2021 at 12:32 AM, LarryEA said:

What is a good wood for pyrography? 

How do you determine temperature?

Hi Larry

you can use any wood but NOT MDF as it is toxic because its all held together with glue and thats not good for burning on and inhaling any glue fumes. I dont know much about the woods you get over there but I mostly use pine or plywood. Before burning onto any wood you have to sand it really smooth. But yes you can burn onjust about any wood as long as also it is not treated wood or seeled wood. If seeled make sure you give it a bit more sanding than you would with any unseeled wood.

I use a Pryography burner that uses wire tips. These burners that use wire tips they have temp control on them. Depending on your what your wanting to do and your designs your doing the temp controls from very light to dark burning. If you only want your burning to be light inshading you use a low temp and if you want it dark you turn the temp up. 

you get all sorts of different shading colours just through adjustig the tempreture control. If you use a burner that has the solid tips you dont have as much control over the tempreture as you do with using a wire tip burner. I hope this helps.

Oh im all excited as my brand new Carbatec scroll saw arrived late yesterday 🙂

Susan

On 3/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, wombatie said:

That's great, glad I was able to help.

Marg

Thank you for your help. It has arrived now to try and get use to it and also work out whats the best blades as there is so so many of them lol and what blades to use on what type of woods and thickness of wood lol. Im on a new adventure 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...