EX 21 new parts

Fish

Dan I would say it's totally up to you on taking it further apart.. When I did mine I took a couple of the pieces apart to expose the bearing and there was plenty of grease so there was no need to add any more.. plus I had no idea what type of grease was originally used, and many grease types are not to be mixed.. some will turn into a almost glue like substance if you mix it with another type.. I don't recommend adding grease unless you're willing to use solvent to remove all the factory grease first.. On mine.. I just assembled it and figured I'd run it a couple years and pull it apart for a clean up and fresh grease if I keep it that long..

Without a doubt the factory grease is not a high end synthetic grease like I would use if I was doing a clean and re-grease job on it.. If you're not willing to have to take it apart in a few years for a maintenance / grease job.. then maybe worth the effort for you to clean it and replace it with a good synthetic grease now while it's apart.. I just don't recommend mixing the two types of grease by simply adding to what is in there now.

Good luck 

21 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I might add to what Kevin said. Never "wash" a bearing in solvent. Solvent, of the wrong type, will actually repel grease. Grease has to stick to the surface of the bearing and race to be effective. Something I learned when I attended GM training school.

How then should the bearings be cleaned?

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I might add to what Kevin said. Never "wash" a bearing in solvent. Solvent, of the wrong type, will actually repel grease. Grease has to stick to the surface of the bearing and race to be effective. Something I learned when I attended GM training school.

I wonder what they use at the bearing factory when making them, they use solvents during the machining process's.. typically a machining oil.. I guess it is a oil still.. typically what I use to clean out old grease is a light oil such as diesel fuel it's still oil or a light lubricant.. I think the bigger issue with solvents is that they are meant to break down oils and people do not rinse or clean off the solvents.. make sure they are completely dry etc.. Difference in a auto shop industry is it's not cost worthy of using solvents to clean as the time a mechanic spend cleaning with solvents and then scrubbing with dish soap and water to clean off solvents waiting for parts to dry.. they just replace parts as you spend $80 in labor to clean or $40 for parts.. 

For sure you want all the grease off before adding new grease.. unless you are for sure adding the same grease type.. many grease types if mixed will do more harm than good.. as they'll separate the oil properties and dry out the matrix. Which is the same thing as using solvents that break down the oils.. This is why engine builders wash the cylinders out with soap / water after cleaning the blocks in the solvent tanks.. No reason you cannot use solvents to clean out old grease.. just be sure to also wash off the solvents in a mild dish soap and water.. be sure it is dried out well before adding the new grease.. Blowing them with a air hose helps drying times if you have a compressor 

6 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I wonder what they use at the bearing factory when making them, they use solvents during the machining process's.. typically a machining oil.. I guess it is a oil still.. typically what I use to clean out old grease is a light oil such as diesel fuel it's still oil or a light lubricant.. I think the bigger issue with solvents is that they are meant to break down oils and people do not rinse or clean off the solvents.. make sure they are completely dry etc.. Difference in a auto shop industry is it's not cost worthy of using solvents to clean as the time a mechanic spend cleaning with solvents and then scrubbing with dish soap and water to clean off solvents waiting for parts to dry.. they just replace parts as you spend $80 in labor to clean or $40 for parts.. 

For sure you want all the grease off before adding new grease.. unless you are for sure adding the same grease type.. many grease types if mixed will do more harm than good.. as they'll separate the oil properties and dry out the matrix. Which is the same thing as using solvents that break down the oils.. This is why engine builders wash the cylinders out with soap / water after cleaning the blocks in the solvent tanks.. No reason you cannot use solvents to clean out old grease.. just be sure to also wash off the solvents in a mild dish soap and water.. be sure it is dried out well before adding the new grease.. Blowing them with a air hose helps drying times if you have a compressor 

Not sure Kevin but take a bearing and wash it really well with solvent and then try to get grease to stick to it. You can eventually get it to stay on but not like it should. Cleaning solvent must not have the oil base like kerosene. 

• 2 years later...