Saws for Aussies

John B

G'day all,

Was just having a look at available saws in Aust. The only reasonably decent saw for many years has been the Carbatec (re branded Excalibur ). I purchased a real EX21 from this company years ago and it was terrible, the only thing worse was their service.
Every once in a while I go on a bit of a fosic around to see if any reasonable saws have become available and have found a couple. (Wonders never cease ;) )
Just Tools has the black excaliburs, not sure where these are made?
https://www.beyondtools.com/?orderby=price-desc&paged=1&s=scroll+saw&post_type=product&type_aws=true&aws_id=1&aws_filter=1&awscat=Form%3A1+Filter%3AAll

and JB Tools has the 22" Jet.
https://au.jbtools.com/jet-727200b-jwss-22b-22-inch-scroll-saw-with-foot-switch/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5Cr8b3G8QIVbNOWCh3W9AxKEAQYCCABEgLgAvD_BwE

Looks like an EX. try hard with a few different features.
Have any of you Ladies or Gents had any experience with these specific types ?
I have an EX21 (Taiwanese) with Pegas clamps and love it, and a Dewalt which has seen better days, but is used for heavy work.

Cheers

John

The photos they show of the Excalibur's are photos of the ones made in Taiwan . The new ones are made in China which are not the best from what I have read. I would make sure the Excalibur's  are the Taiwan models, which I seriously doubt. The first clue was the Knob in the very back. It sits higher on the Taiwan models and much lower in the Chinese ones.  

41 minutes ago, WayneMahler said:

John

The photos they show of the Excalibur's are photos of the ones made in Taiwan . The new ones are made in China which are not the best from what I have read. I would make sure the Excalibur's  are the Taiwan models, which I seriously doubt. The first clue was the Knob in the very back. It sits higher on the Taiwan models and much lower in the Chinese ones.  

Thanks Wayne,
I think I may just have to email them and ask where the saws are made.

8 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Do you have access to Hegner saws? There would be no doubt as to their quality and parts are always available. 

No mate.
This is the 1st time I have found any medium quality saws available in Oz for about 20 years, with the exception of the "Carbatec branded ones, which I think their quality is pretty dubious.
Many years ago there were a few Dewalts available, but only for a very short time. I got my Dewalt from the US, when our dollar was a little better than yours. (Shows how long ago that was :) ) My EX21 was sent direct from Taiwan by the Canadian company in response to the lack of service from the Aussie dist.
The only saws that are widely available are the generic Chinese under wearing coats of many colours.

40 minutes ago, John B said:

No mate.
This is the 1st time I have found any medium quality saws available in Oz for about 20 years, with the exception of the "Carbatec branded ones, which I think their quality is pretty dubious.
Many years ago there were a few Dewalts available, but only for a very short time. I got my Dewalt from the US, when our dollar was a little better than yours. (Shows how long ago that was :) ) My EX21 was sent direct from Taiwan by the Canadian company in response to the lack of service from the Aussie dist.
The only saws that are widely available are the generic Chinese under wearing coats of many colours.

Are we talking new or used? It's hard to believe you can't buy a new saw there. What's wrong with Australia?

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Are we talking new or used? It's hard to believe you can't buy a new saw there. What's wrong with Australia?

New Ray,
That is why I was pretty surprised to see that two companies are now offering Ex type saws.
If I wanted a Makita , Ryobi or Wen, no problems :)
I think the population and the lack of interest in these types of crafts are a big reason.
Baumr-AG 120W Corded Electric Scroll Saw SS16 Series II ...Plenty of these, with a myriad of brands :)

16 hours ago, John B said:

New Ray,
That is why I was pretty surprised to see that two companies are now offering Ex type saws.
I think the population and the lack of interest in these types of crafts are a big reason.
Baumr-AG 120W Corded Electric Scroll Saw SS16 Series II ...Plenty of these, with a myriad of brands :)

I have and have had many Makita tools in the last 25 or so years. I have found them to be excellent quality. I finally wore out my 25 year old Makita saber saw. You might want to give them a look.

Ben

5 hours ago, ben2008 said:

I have and have had many Makita tools in the last 25 or so years. I have found them to be excellent quality. I finally wore out my 25 year old Makita saber saw. You might want to give them a look.

Ben

Ben, I'd have to agree with you about Makita electric tools. I have a Makita planer, Router, Laminate trimmer,3/4" Impact drill and all are about 40 years old and used quite a bit, as I am a Cabinetmaker tradesman. However their machinery seems to be just rebranded chinesium.
MAKITA 406mm (16inch) Scroll Saw SJ401

1 hour ago, John B said:

Ben, I'd have to agree with you about Makita electric tools. I have a Makita planer, Router, Laminate trimmer,3/4" Impact drill and all are about 40 years old and used quite a bit, as I am a Cabinetmaker tradesman. However their machinery seems to be just rebranded chinesium.
MAKITA 406mm (16inch) Scroll Saw SJ401

Sorry to hear that. There is so much Chinese junk nowadays, that I am not surprised.

Your 50 cent coins must have a larger diameter than their US counterpart. I still have a few of the coin slot musical movements. I just stopped making those banks years ago.

Edited by ben2008

Actually Carbatec has a model that is actually a Hegner branded as a Carbatec. I believe it only comes in the 18 inch saw though.. and I have no idea if it's sold to you Aussies.. But I thought I've seen other Aussies mention it? Anyway take a look for it.

https://www.carbatec.com.au/scroll-saw-18-old-code-ct-ss18v

Edit to add, Also found this Woodman that sure looks like a rebranded Hegner. https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/Woodman-18-Variable-Speed-Scroll-Saw/270440/

Edited by kmmcrafts

We have had a 16" Delta, 20" DeWalt, 21" Ex (Taiwan) and a 16" Ex (Not sure), all from Carbatec and no problem with any of them except the 16" Ex and we had a problem with the bellows.  Down here we can only buy from Carbatec and Bunnings.  :sad:🤦‍♀️

Marg

• 11 months later...
22 hours ago, LRW in VIC said:

The Carbatec 18” SS450 is a Hegner Clone made by TruPro TEK in Taiwan. I use Clone because it is so close that Hegner parts will actually fit!  I have one, have added the Hegner Quick Release and it is a sweet little saw.

I'm curious. How much do they cost. Here in the states anywhere from $1500 to $2000 for an 18 inch.

8 hours ago, John B said:

Ray, here's their latest price. It's tax time in Oz, so companies are shedding excess stock.
https://www.carbatec.com.au/scroll-saw-18-old-code-ct-ss18v

I'm not sure how that compares to U.S. dollars but if it's anywhere close that would be a great price. It makes me wonder how much we are being taxed here and not informed.

• 2 weeks later...

G’day John…. When I was in Carbatec a few weeks ago getting some Pegas blade I looked at the big saws…. The had the 16” and 21” Excaliburs rebranded as Carbatec… the documentation that they provide references General International…. But there they were… in bight shiny Carbatec blue.  Looked pretty good… 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, OCtoolguy said:

That sure seems like a great price if it's as good as a Hegner.

Hey OCtools

the price for the 18 machine is AU $1049 ( tax time was $768)…. So times .69… that makes about US$725 and the tax sale price was US$545…… originally from Atlanta now living in AUS for the last 25 years.. but still watch the exchange rates…. 

1 hour ago, LRW in VIC said:

Hey OCtools

the price for the 18 machine is AU $1049 ( tax time was $768)…. So times .69… that makes about US$725 and the tax sale price was US$545…… originally from Atlanta now living in AUS for the last 25 years.. but still watch the exchange rates…. 

I see them advertised at $2195 new, here in the U.S.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:57 PM, John B said:

New Ray,

This saw looks similar to the Dremel I purchased about 30 years ago