So raw I never used a scroll saw!

Rich Engelhardt

This is going to be an adventure for me.

I own and use a lot of other woodworking tools that I used to butcher wood.

For some reason, I never was drawn to a scroll saw. I've been retired now for 10 years and I'm tired of just sitting around and watching reruns of old TV shows from 20 to 60 years ago. We are building a new house & I plan to have a room all to myself in the basement where I can go and do any craft type things so I thought I'd try my and at something different.

I saw that the Wen 3921 got a lot of good reviews as a starter saw & also as one that people have been happy using for years. The price was reasonable so I ordered one. It should be delivered tomorrow.

Welcome to the village.  It is a great place to learn and if you have any questions this is the place to ask,

I too am retired and fell in love with scrolling about 10 years ago.

One thing you should do is sign up with Steve Good for his daily email.  He has a catalogue of over 3,000 patterns and has lots of videos.

https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Travis has a great  book on making personalized ornaments here but if you are not up to doing your own order from Steve, Your family will love it.

Welcome to the Village, Rich. I also have a WEN but mine is the model 3922. My only concern with the 3921 is that I believe it does not accept pinless blades. These two models look to be the same except for the light and the fact of being able to used pinless blades. My saw runs great but I've had issues with the clamp system and have already had to replace the upper blade clamp. Also, the plastic clamp screws will wear out over time. I've had mine about six months now and have made my own clamp screws to replace the ones from the factory. I've also had to replace the bellows for the blower. The original one split but I was able to make it work by gluing it until the new one came in.

The WEN is a great entry level saw but you will find you will outgrow it rather quickly. I'm already searching for a better saw and have narrowed it to two or three different brands. I've made some very nice projects with the WEN but you'll find it aggravating that your upper arm does not lift limiting you to bottom feeding only. The blower works but doesn't do a very good job. I've added a small wooden plug on the upper arm below the bellows to increase its effectiveness. WEN came out with the LL2156 about a month after I had purchased my saw. This is a much better saw and is more in the mid-range. It has a 21 inch throat, an upper arm that lifts, a larger table, a 1.6 amp motor and a much better blade clamping system.

I hope my post is not so negative that it discourages you from scrolling. As I said, the WEN 3922 is a very good entry level saw and you'll find that you really enjoy creating projects. In a couple months, let me know if my assessment is correct.

I agree with Don that you should seek out Steve Good's blog and forum. He, as well as many members of this forum, have dedicated many hours of scrolling information to assist beginner and experienced scrollers. You'll also find that the members here on the Village are more than willing to provide advice so don't hesitate to ask questions as they arise. Also, please share your work in the "Bragg" and "Work In Progress" areas.

Welcome to The Village from Southern Arizona. I would suggest to you that a good blade is the most important thing a scroller should have. don't buy your blades at the big stores but rather on line. the big box stores to not handle the blades for the scroller. If you are not sure where or what to buy in the way of blades, just ask. there are many places and blade to get. Hope to see  you posting often and comment on other peoples posts also. 

Dick

heppnerguy