How did you get into scrolling?

Travis

Welcome Fred! Sounds like you've been pretty busy. I know how that is. I'm only able to squeek in 2-3 hours a week scrolling. The rest of the time I live vicariously through others! :lol: Be sure to check out Scroll Saw Goodies blog. There's a lot of great stuff there too. Between that blog and this forum, you're head will be spinning just trying to figure out what to cut next! :? Enjoy the website. I look forward to seeing your first project!

Hi, my name is Fred and I live in a small town in NE Indiana. I've been interested in scroll sawing for several years, and back in September I bought a Dewalt. At that time I was busy building a wood fence around my side yard and didn't have time to get started right away. About that same time we started mandatory overtime at work (12 hours/day, 6 day/week) and I was too exhausted to do anything else. When the overtime ended, I had to get started on several Christmas projects. I built a picnic table for my brother with 4 movable benches so that they can use the benches down by their pond or their garden when they aren't using the table. I built 4 garden benches for various friends and 4 Adirondack chairs for other family members. I also built an Adirondack love seat for a local charity for their Christmas Auction. I have a detached 3 car garage (no room for cars in it) that I use as my workshop, but it isn't heated and its too cold right now to work out there. Yesterday it was -18 and currently its -10 degrees here. Anyway, to make a long story short, I have yet to touch my new saw. I'm chomping at the bit to get started and I've been surfing the internet for tips and ideas, then I found this site. I love reading about all your projects and watching the videos. This site is almost, not quite but almost, as good as being able to get out to the garage. You all are really inspiring me and giving me the confidence to get started. You all need to know that you are an inspiration to a lot of people like me who have yet to put their 1st piece of wood to the scroll saw. Thanks and keep up the good work and the stories and the tips. I can't wait to get my 1st project completed so I can be a real, for sure, honest to goodness member of your community. Thanks again.

Fred

Fred: First I would like to say I also live in Indiana... A little North east of Indianapolis in a Small town called Hartford City. Great to see someone from my Home state... I hang around the woodwhisperer alot, well not here lately, been a little busy, but a few of the guys there are also from Indiana...

It's also Glad to have you abord... Always nice to see a new Face around here... Expecially one that shares the same Hobbies and likes as everyone else here...

You don't also, have to have, any projects completed to be a member here, not really a requirement, Althou it's nice to see what ones can do, and eventually you will partake into the world of Scroll Saw Village with a Hand of helping others also as you learn.

Each of us had to start somewhere, and why not start here and now to achieve something more glorieful once one learns the aspects and the glory of Scroll Sawing.

I've had a Scroll Saw for over a year now, I just got into Scroll Sawing this Last October, and I have achieved A LOT in the last 3 months, and you can ask the guys around here by looking at my Work, it looks like I've been Scrolling for a lot longer.

Once you get your feet wet, it will be like riding a Bike, you will never forget, but once you don't ride it for a bit, you will be a little shaky at first when you start back up, but you will come out on top.

Just remember never to be affraid or inteminated at the Scroll Saw or you will spend more time sitting and looking instread of sitting and Scrolling... Never be affraid to Make a Mistake, Mistakes only help you achieve a much more better project the next time, and always play around with Scraps some to learn control before you jump into the projects.

This is how I achieved what I did, i drew lines, straight lines with rulers etc and practices scrolling them til i got the idea down, then i tacked the real thing after I got what I wanted to know down, I didn't read any books or anything to learn, I just jumped in started playing with it.

Anyway, have a Great time, Enjoy the Scroll Saw, and we will be waiting to see your First and Most wonderful Pacoso Masterpiece when you have completed it!