How did you get into scrolling?

Travis

One thing that always interests me is how people got into scroll sawing. Its not something that you just roll out of bed and say, "I'm going to be a scroll sawer." I'm guessing most people don't even know what a scroll saw is. If they do, they probably only look at it as a tool used in a wood shop, and not as a creative outlet. So what's your story? How did you get into scrolling?

I always loved woodworking and back then I used to buy all the woodworking magazine. In 2000 I started to buy the scrollsaw magazine, then bought a scrollsaw but didn't use it until 3 years later. I started scrollsawing in May 2008 and I have about 20 projects done. I try to get one project a week.

JP

Welllll.... I would have to say that I've always been interested with anything that utilized the Hands in Movements and Crafts at the Age of 9.

This is also when I ended up in a Wheelchair, and I had to find some Crafts, Skills or anything that give me a Hand in earning and promoting Hand Strength and Arm Strength.

So what better way to get involved with something that don't require Standing or much lifting?

I know it may seem somewhat of a Sad story bout being in a Wheelchair, But, it's me, I get along, I make things work, I do stuff on my Own, and I'm just like anyone else except for I have Round Rubber and metal Feet that Roll instread of Step.

I had a Scroll Saw for a little over a Year, Just started working on it Since this Past October, Ooppps, my Secret is out, I wanted to make everyone think that I was scrolling for YEARS, but I let the cat outta the bag.

if you don't like "lucky people" stories, then you don't want to read this.....

i was given an old scroll saw a year ago...it only used the 'pin-end' blades.

i got a conversion kit and my hubby watched me struggle to use it,... saw the craftsman was on sale for about $100 and bought me a new one!

i've been scrolling for 1 year tomorrow! bc125ba4009f84670c2880ad77151e5b336a1fb.gif

my scroll saw is in my office in the house. i have my computer and scroll saw in the same room....i think heaven will probably be like this...fd3150469148048b9c4abeb27c47ec94215e11c.gif anywho...now i just need more TIME!

i've got an abundant supply of wood at work. i work in a commercial picture frame shop. all my psalteries and wood projects are made from stuff that was getting thrown out at work.

today i watched a co-worker load up his pickup truck with scraps to take home and BURN in his woodstove! walnut, ash, oak, maple, bubinga, wenge, mahogany, cherry ...cry01.gif i've got so much wood home now my hubby would throw a fit if i brought home any more. 83015f429b42008061532c7d7fae5c3c2f42805.gif

i can use the planer at work to get the wood to any thickness i want it. when i'm done scrolling my projects i take them to work and can use the belt sanders and orbital sanders to sand them. ...it really doesn't get any better than this! acf15c4b934c0689580706ffc34cf2bd2836b49.gif i can get up from my computer here...turn around and i'm standing at my scroll saw.

i keep a small shop vac under the desk to clean up around it when i'm done...it doesn't really make too much dust on things...just the walnut and padauk are pretty dusty.

...like i said....i'm a very lucky lady! ...just need more time....

I have been into woodworking since my High School days and love every aspect of it. I purchased my Hegner 18v about 12 years ago and used it manly to cut intricate pieces for my whirligigs. After joining a few of the scrollsaw sites I got interested in scrolling although I have not worked at it very much I get intrigued with the beautiful projects that are posted on the different sites. I plan on getting more involved in the scrollsaw world including many projects....Mike

As a teenager I started woodworking in a neighbor’s small shop. That combined with early drafting work, a short career as a professional model maker, and an interest in all woodworking disciplines were useful ingredients that led me to woodworking later in life. I have several small woodworking tools (bench top table saw, bandsaw, drill press,scroll saw, disk and belt sanders, etc.) and a very limited amount of space for them to occupy, however I especially enjoy making things with my scroll saw.

Scroll sawing and woodworking are primarily a hobby for me. I enjoy creating woodworking projects for fun and to sell. I make things as gifts and a few items to sell so I can purchase additional wood, supplies, plans and patterns. I like to create a wide variety of woodcraft projects ranging from craft fair novelties, wooden toys, scroll sawn portraits, intarsia, fretwork, ornaments, baskets, boxes, folk art items, puzzles, 3d compound saw items, and scroll saw segmentation.

With a little encouragement from others who have appreciated the things I have created in wood, and with more than a little patience, I now spend many evenings and weekends crafting woodworking projects in my garage workshop located in Martinez, California.

I had been thinking I would love to get a scroll saw for making some yard art and miniature furniture originally. And I was talking to my mom, who is a wood carver, and telling her about a couple ideas I had. About a week later I received this gigantic box in the mail...................a scrollsaw, books, wood, carving tools, etc...

Well I lived in a pretty tiny little house and we barely had room to move about............especially since I had four big dogs at the time lololol. So I couldn't saw................no place to do it at all. Then I bought some land in Oklahoma and now I have the room and am slowly but surely learning to scroll. When I first got the saw I decided to see what I could find about it online................boy did I hit paydirt lol. I found the forums, started making patterns and was hooked before I ever used my saw.

Christina

What a great thread!

...i've got an abundant supply of wood at work. i work in a commercial picture frame shop. all my psalteries and wood projects are made from stuff that was getting thrown out at work....

It would be wonderful to have access to all of those beautiful woods. I'm very envious! Plus having access to all those tools is awesome.

...today i watched a co-worker load up his pickup truck with scraps to take home and BURN in his woodstove! walnut, ash, oak, maple, bubinga, wenge, mahogany, cherry ...

That's enough to make a grown man cry! What a shame. I think you gotta teach him how to scroll!

Well I lived in a pretty tiny little house and we barely had room to move about...

I wished I would have discovered scrolling when I lived in LA. I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in the heart of Hollywood. I had a tiny little porch about the size of a chair and tiny table. It would have been awesome to scratch that woodworking itch with scrolling! I moved back to MT after a few years and bought a house with a double car garage, which I quickly said "I claim this garage in the name of Me!". :D My wife quickly figured out she'll NEVER be able to park in the garage...LOL. I keep my scroll saw in the basement, though. More convenient and much warmer during the winter months. ;)

I've been doing some sort of woodworking since junior high school. But started scrolling after I got married. My brother in law had an old dremel scrollsaw, and let me borrow it. Got tired off fighting with that old saw so I bought my first saw a Ryobi. Now I have a dremel 1800 and love it. I say been scrolling for about 17 years but the first several were nothing like now. Didn't do alot in the beginning because of the saw,and the projects were pretty simple. now I can't get enough.

I clipped a picture from a magazine of an acorn shaped woodpecker feeder and tried cutting them out with my jig saw. Royal pain the tookus! So I acquired an old Asian made scroll saw on a stand for the outrageous sum of $25 and finished the feeders for Christmas gifts but in the process got HOOKED! (subsequently sold the old saw on craigslist for $40!!!)

As luck would have it a neighbor passed away and his wife offered me his Craftsman 16" with dual blade holders and variable speeds and now I am SERIOUSLY HOOKED! Just received my FD blades from Mike and am ready to try some of the beginner things from the workbook.

Wish me luck!

Graybeard

I clipped a picture from a magazine of an acorn shaped woodpecker feeder and tried cutting them out with my jig saw. Royal pain the tookus! So I acquired an old Asian made scroll saw on a stand for the outrageous sum of $25 and finished the feeders for Christmas gifts but in the process got HOOKED! (subsequently sold the old saw on craigslist for $40!!!)

As luck would have it a neighbor passed away and his wife offered me his Craftsman 16" with dual blade holders and variable speeds and now I am SERIOUSLY HOOKED! Just received my FD blades from Mike and am ready to try some of the beginner things from the workbook.

Wish me luck!

Graybeard

You got some really good blades. I really think that's key for success is having quality blades. When I first started, I bought those blades from the big box stores. Terrible! And terribly priced! Having quality blades makes all the difference in the world. Do you get any of the scroll saw magazines? Those are full of great projects! You can also go through the Pattern Library as well as Scroll Saw Goodies blog for more patterns. Steve Good has a lot of neat projects on his site too.

When I got the FD blades from Mike I was shocked at how much finer and sharper they were than the local store brands. I tried some from Vermont American which is a fairly reputable tool supplier and there was NO comparison.

I have subscribed to two of the magazines and I am getting all the books my local library has.

I am one of those who have to know fully what I am getting into before I start and this seems like such a fascinating and I am sure rewarding hobby I couldn't resist the urge to get started. Fortunately my saw is in the garage so I can be a night owl on it as I am on the computer!

First hing I have to do is make a top for the saw since the factory insert has large openings and is sitting below the surface. Will try with a piece of tempered masonite I have from another project. Once that is done I will be 'off and running' and will keep you all posted on my progress...

Graybeard

I got into scrolling because my husband brought himself a scrollsaw. I asked him how it worked and that was it. I was never off it and he never got on it. That was about 10 years ago and it was a Delta 16in., which I still have but I also have a Dewalt. I retired from school cleaning at the end of last year so I will be able to spend A LOT more time doing what I love. :D

Marg

My husband is a woodworker and about 3-4 years ago, he dragged me to a woodworking toy shop (Rockler's). While he was shopping, I browsed the book section. I loved, loved some of the projects in the books, so out of the blue he bought me a scroll saw. I learned with a "how to" book and have made some nice items and gifts. It's nice to be in the garage with him while he's working on a project and I have lots of scraps at my disposal.

I'll post my story.

When I lived in LA, I got really needed to scratch that woodworking itch. I did some when I was in college (I was a set and prop designer for college and community theatre). But, being stuck in a 1 bedroom apartment, the best I could do is read magazines and daydream what it would be like to have a workshop. Since I worked in the film industry, I was naturally interested in films too. Well, Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts had an article on how to make a cryptix. That was the puzzle vault used in the movie Da Vinci Code. Naturally I had to buy the magazine. I found it all very interesting. The more I read about what the scroll saw could do, the more I wanted one! It wasn't long after that I moved away from Tinsel Town and back to Montana. As soon as I had a garage, I bought a scroll saw. Since I had a new scroll saw, I needed patterns. And being quite an internet sleuth, I found all kinds of stuff. I started Scroll Saw Goodies as a way to bookmark all of these neat resources.

I'm constantly amazed what people come up with. They're constantly re-inventing what a scroll saw could do. I find that really exciting. Plus I love the creative outlet. I can complete a project in one or two sittings, which is great when you're running after little kids. Besides, it's just so darn fun! :D

I got into scroll sawing by way of a lady friend who Lives in CA.She scroll sawed and started sending me pictures of items she cut on her scroll saw and then she started sending me patterns And My husband bought me a used Craftsman scroll saw from eBay i still have it and use it to cut pieces of 1/4 plywood down to size i need for projects. it takes a 3 in. pinned saw blade which i order from Sloan's woodshop. Then I bought myself another scroll saw from Amazon.com A Delta SS250 it was fine and worked great for what i needed it to do .Then My Husband won me a RBI Hawk Model #220-3 it turned out to be a 1985 year model it is belt driven. It looked brand new when i got it. I had to upgrade the blade holders cause they used a allen wrench to change the blades. We had to buy a saw stand to mount the Hawk on it cause it didn't come with one.I did some research on the RBI Hawk site and This scroll saw was 25 years old But someone had never used it. it came with everything blades, patterns and owners manual. My husband had won it from pawn shop that listed it on ebay.Then Last year on 3-3-08 I won a Dewalt DW788 scroll saw i have 3 scroll saws now I sold the Delta. My Dewalt isn't yellow in color the man that had it before me had a pro paint the scroll saw mint green to match all the other wood shop tools and machines he had in his wood shop.. The color doesn't make the scroll saw run any different so i have left it the green color.Of all my saws i like the Dewalt the best.So I have been scroll sawing going on 4 years now.And i'm no way a pro at scroll sawing I have learned alot from the scroll saw sites i belong to and From My Friend Myrna in CA who got me hooked on scroll sawing.

Look out all!!! Newbie in the house!!! I have been talking about having my own workshop for YEARS! Just a dream I thought. Well, low and behold, imagine my shock :shock: Christmas Day when I opened a gift from my daughter....a Craftsman 16" Scroll Saw! :shock: (she warned me that her gift to me was kinda out of left field, I hadn't requested it, though she just knew it was time I had one) See, I was ordering desired cut pieces from an Ebayer in California. (Connecticut here) And with my youngest son (22 on Feb. 12th) moving into his own apartment Feb. 1st....ahhh, an empty room! (Workshop found!!) But my dream was to cut, finish and sell my wares in my own "Store Front" on Ebay. (Looks like that "Store Front" is a whole lot closer to reality now) Course as of today, January 13th, 2009, the scroll saw is still in the box, BUT since Christmas I've been online researching everyday and OH BOY am I HOOKED! I wanna learn it ALL! I was truly pleased to find this site! This is the first time I've ever posted in a Forum although it feels comortable to chat with you all. :D I'm warning ya though, I have MANY questions!! Although I think I'm in the right place. :smitten: Keep On Scrolling!! Marty

Look out all!!! Newbie in the house!!! I have been talking about having my own workshop for YEARS! Just a dream I thought. Well, low and behold, imagine my shock :shock: Christmas Day when I opened a gift from my daughter....a Craftsman 16" Scroll Saw! :shock: (she warned me that her gift to me was kinda out of left field, I hadn't requested it, though she just knew it was time I had one) See, I was ordering desired cut pieces from an Ebayer in California. (Connecticut here) And with my youngest son (22 on Feb. 12th) moving into his own apartment Feb. 1st....ahhh, an empty room! (Workshop found!!) But my dream was to cut, finish and sell my wares in my own "Store Front" on Ebay. (Looks like that "Store Front" is a whole lot closer to reality now) Course as of today, January 13th, 2009, the scroll saw is still in the box, BUT since Christmas I've been online researching everyday and OH BOY am I HOOKED! I wanna learn it ALL! I was truly pleased to find this site! This is the first time I've ever posted in a Forum although it feels comortable to chat with you all. :D I'm warning ya though, I have MANY questions!! Although I think I'm in the right place. :smitten: Keep On Scrolling!! Marty

Welcome, Marty! That is so cool to find a scroll saw under the tree. You'll be amazed the number of different kinds of things you can do with such a simple tool. My first piece of advice is to grab some quality scroll saw blades. Don't buy the junk from the big box stores. They're terrible and cost waaaay too much. You'll have much better success with quality blades, and you'll curse a little less too. ;) You'll have to buy them online. There's lots of places to get them. I get mine from Mike's Workshop. He's a really great guy with great service. I know a lot of scrollers really like working with him too. Anyway, ask away! There are a lot of great people here willing to answer any questions you can throw at them. Can't wait to see your first project. Welcome to the addiction....errr...hobby!

My greatest love has been baseball but the older I get the more it hurts. I took up gardening on the side and decided I would like to do woodwork when I retire. I also knit. I love to take a ball of nothing and turn it into something beautiful. I figured I could do the same with wood. My friend that I play ball with makes tulips. He told me about a scroll saw. Tulips were my goal. I have had my scroll saw for two weeks and haven't beenable to stop using it. I am doing all kinds of figurines and fretwork. I love it.

PS I have yet to make those tulips!!!!

My greatest love has been baseball but the older I get the more it hurts. I took up gardening on the side and decided I would like to do woodwork when I retire. I also knit. I love to take a ball of nothing and turn it into something beautiful. I figured I could do the same with wood. My friend that I play ball with makes tulips. He told me about a scroll saw. Tulips were my goal. I have had my scroll saw for two weeks and haven't beenable to stop using it. I am doing all kinds of figurines and fretwork. I love it.

PS I have yet to make those tulips!!!!

Sounds like you're having a great time! Its so much fun to see what you can come up with! The possibilities are almost limitless. When you get a chance, we'd love to see some of your work! Welcome to the forum!

Hi, my name is Fred and I live in a small town in NE Indiana. I've been interested in scroll sawing for several years, and back in September I bought a Dewalt. At that time I was busy building a wood fence around my side yard and didn't have time to get started right away. About that same time we started mandatory overtime at work (12 hours/day, 6 day/week) and I was too exhausted to do anything else. When the overtime ended, I had to get started on several Christmas projects. I built a picnic table for my brother with 4 movable benches so that they can use the benches down by their pond or their garden when they aren't using the table. I built 4 garden benches for various friends and 4 Adirondack chairs for other family members. I also built an Adirondack love seat for a local charity for their Christmas Auction. I have a detached 3 car garage (no room for cars in it) that I use as my workshop, but it isn't heated and its too cold right now to work out there. Yesterday it was -18 and currently its -10 degrees here. Anyway, to make a long story short, I have yet to touch my new saw. I'm chomping at the bit to get started and I've been surfing the internet for tips and ideas, then I found this site. I love reading about all your projects and watching the videos. This site is almost, not quite but almost, as good as being able to get out to the garage. You all are really inspiring me and giving me the confidence to get started. You all need to know that you are an inspiration to a lot of people like me who have yet to put their 1st piece of wood to the scroll saw. Thanks and keep up the good work and the stories and the tips. I can't wait to get my 1st project completed so I can be a real, for sure, honest to goodness member of your community. Thanks again.

Fred