Basswood education

CSull

I looked at the pic for about 10 minutes before I saw the image.  Not your fault...my eyes played tricks on my brain.  Like one of those puzzle B&W images where you need to find the hidden image. Oh well. I guess that happens when you get to be my age..achient!

Very nice cutting, now that I know what I'm looking at!

You might want to consider useing a sanding sealer and a wood pre-stain conditioner before finishing.  I use a lot of Poplar and I find it necessary to use the pre-stain conditioner in order to get a decent finish.   Although in the photo your finish looks very nice.

I have only one very minor comment.   Would have liked to see the image exteded down below the buffalo's feet in some way.  Maybe some squigly horizontal lines or a little indication of some field grass.  The blank open area pulls my eye away from the cutting and this may have been the reason I did not see the image in the first place.

I agree with Frank that I see nothing wrong with your finish. In fact I thought it looks pretty exceptional. I have used pre-stain by Minwax and it did seem to bring out the grain of the wood a little better. I don't really thing the grain in basswood is very pronounced anyway. Regardless, you did a great job. I love the live edge.

Nicely done...

FWIW: I've been using basswood for several years for our children's line of puzzles.

We selected it specifically because it doesn't stain well and does not "shine" when finished nor does it have many if any knots unlike pine which we always had to work around and had way more waste than was practical.

It does however, hold colors very well. Colors such as Water colors and food dyes are really well absorbed in Basswood.

Edited by new2woodwrk