DW788 Air Blower

chippygeoff

Hi Everyone.

I got to use my DeWalt 788 today. For those of you who did not read my first post I bought the 788 for the equivalent of $100. It took a lot of hard work cleaning it etc but now it looks like new.I bought some really good top grade 9mm birch ply yesterday and printed off a couple of Steve Goods patterns. I drilled the holes for the cut outs and as ready. I started cutting and realised the air blower was not blowing the saw dust away and when I looked to the side there was no air blower, it was missing. Now I am in a spot because I am having to blow the dust away. Being in the UK I cannot get a replacement so I was wondering if you good people out there would have any ideas. I can feel the air coming out from where the blower should be. If the worst comes to the worst I suppose I could contact DeWalt and have them send me one over the pond. Thanks everyone.

Geoff.

I'd see if you can find a replacement part. I can't imagine it would cost too much to ship it from the states. Until then, I'm wondering if you can use some vinyl tubing and put it into the spot where it should go. A wire coat hanger taped to the side of the tubing should provide some support while you wait for the new part.

John's idea of an aquarium air blower is another good idea. I've heard others use that method and seems to work well for them.

Hi everyone.

Just thought I would let you know. I overcame the problem with the blower on my 788 and although it works perfectly it is not a pretty sight. I went to buy some clear plastic hose with an internal bore of 10mm with the idea of putting the end in very hot water and pushing it over the air port but all I could get was fuel hose which was reinforced but it worked. For the other end I cut the hose to length and I used a 2inch brass sleeve from a pen making kit and the tapered section from the same kit where the pen tip comes out. I then got the nozzle pointing to where I wanted it and had to tape it to the hold down arm. I tried using the wire from a coat hanger but it was not strong enough. In practice it works fine but I have ordered the proper nozzle assemble from a link that Travis gave me so that should be here next week. Thanks again everyone for the useful advise.

Geoff.