My first portrait

otho96

Ok guys here it is My first try at cutting a portrait. This is the one from the pattern i posted few days ago and got some help with.

Thanks again.

Dont mind the wood it was just some scrap i had laying wanted to see if i was able to do it. Let me know what you think and what i can do to improve

Thanks

Otho

2011-10-23232847.jpg

Otho, very nice cutting. Now I will give you my opinion of the wood you chose. I have cut many portraits and believe that heavy grain takes away from the picture. I use mostly Finnish birch plywood which has very little grain. I like to use grain on scenic pictures and work it into the picture. This is just my opinion, whatever you like is best for you. O.K. I just read your post again and see that it was just some scrap wood. I love the backer. What did you use for that?

Mick

Thanks guys for all the post. I will be trying it again with different wood but only wood i can find from local hardware store is A/c Oak plywood. No birch with out ordering it or driving extra hour (s) away. So i am going to try on it and play around with some Stan or Paint so the grain dont take away from it. But this has large sections of wood with no grain so it should be ok.

Mick the backer is just a tool box LOL i think i am going to use Black Flit for backer and then place in mats or just leave like that and let some one else point in frame mat etc.

1 other question tho. I have noticed some lines are really hard if not impossible to drill hole for to put blade in. any tips tricks on this. I have tried using the spiral blades but they get away from me and the cuts IMO are not as smooth. i cant seem to find a drill bit that is small enough to get into some of the lines with out going past them

Thanks again

Otho