Wich Stick

Wichman

42 minutes ago, preprius said:

I like your wands  oops I mean sticks...

The gem state has opals... Fire opals. Maybe a dragon fire opal stick would ward off dragons.  Or attract dragon flies.

Do you have return customer that collect your sticks?  

There is an opal mine 111 miles north of my location. Before COVID you could dig at the mine site and pay a nominal fee for the rough opals. I would love to do an opal encrusted wand with a stupid high price on it, glass case, alarm system, armed guards (I know some people :)  )

I have one repeat customer, but she's buying for friends; no collectors, yet. :)

Very nice. I have made some of Al’s wands in the past. Was this one of his patterns published in the magazine or from his ebook of patterns available for purchase or a different source? I have the magazine article and bought his ebook so I can look at those. Can you explain how you modify and add the  crystal?

Edited by meflick
Typo

7 hours ago, meflick said:

Very nice. I have made some of Al’s wands in the past. Was this one of his patterns published in the magazine or from his ebook of patterns available for purchase or a different source? I have the magazine article and bought his ebook so I can look at those. Can you explain how you modify and add the  crystal?

The pattern came from the magazine.

How I modify the pattern:

1. print the pattern, cut the pattern at the base of the "crystal" (remove the crystal from the pattern)

2. attach the pattern to the wood blank orienting the pattern so the "crystal end" is at the end of the blank.

3. at the crystal end draw lines from the center of the crystals across the end of the bland to form an X

4. drill an appropriate size hole lengthwise in the top of the blank. (I use my drill press for this, hole diameters vary from 3/16" to 3/8" and are  about 1/2" deep)

5. I don't cut the small inside cut for wands with crystals, it just makes the wand "neck" too weak.

6. While cutting the other inside cut, do not cut the bottom of the wood crystal.

7. after cutting the wand out, use the crystal you are using for the wand and mark the end of the wand where the crystal touches, use a dremel and a small longish burr to size the hole to the crystal.

8. use Gorilla Glue very sparingly on the crystal. I use my thumbnail to mark where the glue needs to be, and then while holding the crystal with one hand apply the glue with the other. Set the crystal into the end of the wand and set the wand where it won't be disturbed for a while.