1/8" Baltic Birch

Dave Monk

5 hours ago, Denny Knappen said:

Hi Dave.  I received an email from Ocooch Hardwoods that they now have stock.  A 1/8" 12" x 12" is $1.68 plus shipping.  Nt sure how this compares.  I use Ocooch all the time.

I checked them out. On 40 pieces It would have been $4.00 cheaper ordering from Ocooch. Etsey charged sales tax which made a difference. Thanks.

I think Cherokee is cheaper than Ocooch by the time you pay the shipping fee.. I buy mine locally but during the lockdowns 2 years ago I ordered from Cherokee and I got very good quality ply.. There prices include shipping so don't be sticker shocked with the prices.. They send me my wood and it was on my porch within 3-4 days.. I haven't price checked them since early spring this year but at that time they was cheaper than Ocooch once shipping was calculated. It's always tempting for me to just order online because by the time I take a few hours out of the day to run to my local source and then I still have to break the 5' x 5' sheet down to blanks.. It probably works out close to the same with the wear on the table saw and blades etc. So I always check prices before buying.. just have a hard time not buying local and supporting my local shop.. 

8 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I think Cherokee is cheaper than Ocooch by the time you pay the shipping fee.. I buy mine locally but during the lockdowns 2 years ago I ordered from Cherokee and I got very good quality ply.. There prices include shipping so don't be sticker shocked with the prices.. They send me my wood and it was on my porch within 3-4 days.. I haven't price checked them since early spring this year but at that time they was cheaper than Ocooch once shipping was calculated. It's always tempting for me to just order online because by the time I take a few hours out of the day to run to my local source and then I still have to break the 5' x 5' sheet down to blanks.. It probably works out close to the same with the wear on the table saw and blades etc. So I always check prices before buying.. just have a hard time not buying local and supporting my local shop.. 

It looks to me like Cherokee is charging for shipping.

8 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I went back and looked again and you are right.....Their 12x12 precut pack price includes shipping

39 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

I went back and looked again and you are right.....Their 12x12 precut pack price includes shipping

Yeah, I don't know if the prices are comparable or not from the other places that had been mentioned.. I will say I was very impressed with the quality. All the ply was very smooth, pieces were very flat ( very important for using in the laser machine ). It was actually better quality than the stuff I get locally.. I think locally the storage is out in a out building where it's not climate controlled and if the stack has been there for some time it seems as though the grain gets grainier if that makes any sense, LOL I always have to sand my ply that I get locally but these pieces from Cherokee was really smooth already. Maybe the ply from other places is like Cherokee too I don't know.. I've only bought it from my local supplier other than the one time from Cherokee a couple years ago.  

Hey Dave and All I did take a chance and order the 1/8 (what I tought was BB) but wasn't.  Only Birch and it looks like its like

a Thin layer of the Birch and middle looks to be MDF.  Like it was mentioned all sheets are FLAT AND it scrolls Great.  No tear out on bottom.  Don't have info about ordering etc, but I

did pay $19 for 10 sheets of 12by12.  OH yea this was ordered off of AMAZON.  And it is just a tad shy of 1/8 inch....  Anyway this is my 2 cents worth............Danny  :+}

4 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I'm curious.  If my local hardwood/plywood supplier can't get BB ply and hasn't been able to get it for some time, where are these Internet suppliers getting their stock from?

Might be more of a matter of them "saying" they can't get it rather than they can't actually get it.. The prices of the stuff has went way up due to the fact that most of it comes from Russia and they aren't really importing it.. plus before the war they had some wild fires that was preventing them from getting much logging done to source the raw materials.. so the stuff is kind of scarce.. and pricey.. I think if they "really" wanted it they could find it but they likely aren't interested in paying the high price of it.. probably not a huge seller for them so they're waiting it out a while.. I'm just guessing.. My local supplier is kind of doing this.. when they get enough people interested in it they will order a batch of it because they know they won't have to sit on it long.. Paying those high prices and then sitting on a few pallets of it for a year or so they could get burned once production picks up and prices come down.. they could get burned on profits..

Could be.  But many suppliers/retailers are dealing with these same issues and most aren't hesitant to jack up their prices accordingly.  I can understand the strategy of not stocking up on slow moving products at significantly higher prices, but I'm not convinced that BB ply necessarily fits the slow moving description.  The place I buy from seems to move a fair amount of it.  Probably more 1/2" - 3/4" thick stuff than the thinner stuff scrollers prefer, but they didn't have inventory of any size last time I checked (which has been a while).