Jumper cable

Charles couch

I love the scroll saw I have had one since I was 13 before that a coping saw,I am now 82. So long time user. I. Make all things a person can with my saw. I have a few a lot 788 and a ex21 excliber.  I like to make three d ornaments for christmas.  I have been making them for several years. My ex21 is what I have used most of the time, I have had no trouble till now. I have used all kinds of wood and all kinds of blades from \#3 to 12s.  Now to the problem I hope some one can help me with because I have ran out of ideas.  The blade while cutting the thick wood ,1 7/8 thich  , saws like the tension is to loose I have good clamps and they are tight I have the pegas clamps. I have replaced all the bearings and pins.  I have leveled the arms .But the problem exist  

Have you adjusted the blade tension with the knob in the back?. I know, you are saying "well doh!". but some times it is the simple things we over look.  I know you leveled the arms, but the tension tension part can get worn and not hold tension.  I had to replace mine on my Hegner once.  Anyway, welcome to the forum.  Glad you are joining us and I look forward to seeing your work.  One more thing, if you do not get help here do not hesitate to call Ray at Seyco... Not his saw anymore but he knows all there is to know about the excalibur type of saw. 

Edited by Scrappile

What blades are you using?

When I started scrolling in '85 I had a Sears hobby saw; 13" , used 3" pin end blades. The saw used spring tension and was not adjustable. When cutting knotty pine the blade would bow in the cut if the pattern was near a knot. The blades would actually take a set and would be bowed when I removed them from the saw.

I currently use Flying Dutchman Polar blades, for me they are less likely to bend inside the cut, I've cut 1/2" thick stacks with a 0/2 blade and 1 1/2" with a #1. I would suggest that you try a number of different blades and test for yourself which ones work best for you.  Most of the shops selling blades have sample pack to make this easier for you the costumer.

Welcome Charles. A wealth of knowledge on most every scroll saw subject here on the Village. I'm not understanding what your problem is. Maybe a bit more explanation and/or pics if possible. I have 2 Ex's and a Hegner.

After re-reading your post I'm thinking of 2 possibilites. First being that with that thickness of wood and depending on the hardness, you may be forcing the cut. Pushing too hard and not letting the blade do its job. Which brings me to the second thing. Maybe the wrong blades. When I did a 3-D cut on some 1 1/2" douglas fir, I had problems until I switched to Pegas double skip blades that were able to clear the sawdust out of the kerf better. I bought them from Artcraftersonline.com. Denny Knappen is on the Village and owns the site. Check with him.

Edited by OCtoolguy

I have been scrolling for a number of years and i too the Ex 21 saw and an Ex 13 inch. I have run into problems occasionally while cutting 2 dimension patterns and thick wood but I just tried different blades and sometimes stumbled upon the answer to my problem and sometimes it was the blade and sometimes it was the character of the wood, then again sometimes it was me.

Glad you have decided to join us. I too am 82 years young. Welcome from Southern Arizona. Hope you log on often

Dick

heppnerguy