New again

Sylvia1358

Sylvia, sorry I can't help. But I do want to welcome you to the Village.  There are a couple Wen owners on here.  They maybe able to help.  I have not even seen a Wen saw yet, except for pictures.  Looks like you would have to take the cover off the back to see if anything is loose or broken.  do you have manual?  If not here is an online one.  Page 20 is am exploded view to give you an idea of what makes up the tension.  

@Dak0ta52, Maybe you have a suggestion.

Edited by Scrappile

Things to check

Blade correctly installed in blade clamps

Blade not slipping in blade clamps

rear tension adjuster not stripped

and last (because you have to open up the saw) open the saw and check to see if the triangular nuts on the tension rod are properly seated. If the bolted have slipped off the the holders then you will not be able to get any tension.

3 hours ago, Sylvia1358 said:

I had a sears scrollsaw in my 20's and it was great. Over the years, it stopped working and was discarded.

I am now in my 60's and I bought a wen bidrectional scrollsaw last year. The tension bolt no longer works.

Any suggestions to help are appreciated.

thanks, Sylvia1358

Sylvia, welcome to the forum. I have a WEN 3922 but it appears the 3920, 3921 and 3922 are the same in the tension area. There are wedge shaped pieces at the back of the parallel arms that create tension when moving the lever in the down position. It sounds to me that the tensioning assembly or one of the pressure plates on either the upper or lower arm has broken or come loose. You should be able to remove the covers to access the rear of the arms and it should be easy to identify the problem. Also, if you've only had your saw for a little over a year it should still be under warranty. WEN warranties their products for 2-years. I've contacted them a couple times with warranty issues and have been pleased with their service. Your best bet is sending them an email for correspondence. It's a nightmare trying to reach someone there by telephone. Good luck and I hope this information was helpful.

This is the link to the schematic drawing of the WEN 3920. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0012/0350/3168/files/3921.manual.20220429.pdf?v=1651499672 Like I said, it appears all their 16-inch saws use the same tensioning system.