30" Scroll saw?

GrampaJim

Not looking for a new saw - happy with my EX-16.             But...........There is an EX-30 in my area for $400.  It's from General International, and judging by its age, a Taiwan made machine.  The family is selling it after the father died. 

Question:  Is there any significant vibration, etc. in a saw that big?  Any opinions for buy or pass?    Any other thoughts?

i dont know if excibur still makes a 30" model but beings how  pegas 30" is advertised for $1400 on the woodcraft website and the taiwanese excaliburs were  the better ones, id say for $400 at least take a look at it. take some blades,wood, and take it for a test drive.

Edited by tomsteve

On 12/26/2022 at 12:58 PM, GrampaJim said:

Not looking for a new saw - happy with my EX-16.             But...........There is an EX-30 in my area for $400.  It's from General International, and judging by its age, a Taiwan made machine.  The family is selling it after the father died. 

Question:  Is there any significant vibration, etc. in a saw that big?  Any opinions for buy or pass?    Any other thoughts?

To answer the question about vibration... The design of these saws makes the long arms move front to back rather than a big massive arm like on a Hawk or Hegner which moves up and down. So that being said the only portion moving up/down is the very front part of the rocker arms. I have no personal experience with this large of a saw but I would think with only that short arm movement that the vibration wouldn't be any different than that of the EX-16 you have. 

If you have the room and the saw is in good condition I'd say that price is a steel.. since most of the EX-30's I've seen have always been listed for around $600 + or - 

On 12/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, GrampaJim said:

Hi Jim. I have a 30” Excalibur that I purchased in 09. Fabulous machine with no vibration. Place a nickel on table standing, turn machine on and gradually increase the speed. Nickel stays. That’s how smooth of a machine this is. Canadian made. I’ve yet to have an issue and I use it almost daily. $400.00 seems a lot but if it’s an Excalibur made in Canada and it’s in excellent condition showing little wear than it’s definitely worth the price. If it’s off shore in excellent condition showing little wear I would then offer less. It all depends on the age of the machine, made domestic or off shore, condition, your needs and your budget in mind. These are my thoughts and opinions. Good luck with your decision.